South Florida Babies

Who Uses Crib Bumpers?

So Jonah has been sleeping in his crib for about a month now. I set up the crib with the bumpers on and everything. Well let me say that i hate google. I read that bumpers increase the risk of SIDS. Now im worried of course! We start him off in the crib and after his 1st wake we co-sleep (safely of course) and sleeps the rest of the night with me. He only wakes up 1 time during the night and its always after 3am. But im worried about the bumpers now. He doesnt move while sleeping and has very good head control. Can someone make me feel better? Do you use bumpers? Are you worried if you do?

Re: Who Uses Crib Bumpers?

• I wouldn't because of the SIDS risk, but have you thought about breathable bumpers?
  • I use bumpers for both my girls.  Abby's almost 18 months and has been using the bumpers since day 1.  When we put her to bed before she had any good head/neck control, we placed her in the center of the crib.  When she was able to roll over, she was able to roll over away from an obstructions, so we didn't raelly worry about it.  In fact, the child moved so much in her sleep, that the one tiem I had to take the bumpers off to change the sheets and forgot to replace it,s he smacked her head so hard on the wood, we were up for like 2 hours with a screaming child!  By the time she was crawling, she was sleepign on her tummy all night AND she would curl herself up in the corner and bury her face in the bumper.  It's the only way she could get comfortable!  Now she sleeps with a toddler pillow and a blanket... and the bumpers, still, since she still flails in her sleep!  She also stuck her feet/arms out through the bars, and the bumpers prevented that. 

googling anything will get you scary results, regardless of the topic.  In fact, if you google co-sleeping, you wind up getting tons of opinions and facts about the dangers of that as well.

• Loading the player...
  • oh, and another reason i wasn't too concerned about the bumpers is that the bassient she was in for the first two months had more fabric and less ventilation on the sides than the crib with bumpers.  And ours was a pretty standard bassinet from BRU.
  • imagebritishbride05:
    oh, and another reason i wasn't too concerned about the bumpers is that the bassient she was in for the first two months had more fabric and less ventilation on the sides than the crib with bumpers.  And ours was a pretty standard bassinet from BRU.

Ours too which I always thought was so odd. Here the experts are all telling us not to use bumpers because of SIDS yet virtually all the bassinets don't have breathable sides. So weird

• I used one with Nicholas up until he transitioned into a toddler bed and I am using one with Adrianna.
  • I had the same thought about the bassinett we had Jonah in. It was so much smaller and had tall fabric walls. Why on earth would bumpers be a much greater risk then a small pratically enclosed bassinet? Im just reading too much into this. Ugh!
  • I use the bumpers. We used to place Nico in one of those sleep positioners in the middle of the crib that did not let him roll over. It contained him from about his chest to his booty. He was able to move his arms next to his face or by his body if he wanted but couldn't flip to his sides. When he was able to roll around in both directions, I removed the positioner. Now he moves all over the crib. I'm always checking to make sure that he face is not too close to the bumper but it never is. If you decide to use a bumper, make sure that it is tied securely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We used the bumpers with Chelsea up until she was big enough to mess with them.  She would lift them up so she can see what was going on outside her crib (too cute). 

I try not to google anything anymore.  I like the bumpers b/c they protect the kids from getting injured as mentioned.  E and C both move around so much when they're sleeping and also, they help prevent arms and legs from getting stuck in between the bars. 

I plan to use the bumpers for B as well.  Right now, he's in the bassinett but he's getting too big - we may move him this weekend. 

• I used one with Quinn when he started sleeping in his crib at 4 months. If I didn't have one on, he would wake himself up by hitting his head or having a limb stick through the crib slats. 
    I plan to use one with baby #2 as well.

• I used breathable bumpers.  I figured it was one less thing to worry about. plus my pedi recommended it
  • I used, and still use, bumpers with DS. I also have a crib tent with the net around the crib so the bumpers are outside of the net (DS is a climber so I do not want him getting out of the crib). We also had a baby angel care monitor (the one that beeps if the baby stops breathing) because I was afraid of SIDS.
  • I use a bumper and haven't had any problems. But if you're worried, get the breathable ones!
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I used bumpers with Alexis until she started standing on them around 18 months then I took them out. 
    image image

• I haven't had time to read all replies, but we use Breathable Bumpers--got them at BRU.  Very affordable.  I had no bumpers at all but added them after she kept getting her legs caught in the slats and waking up.  Also, I put the fan on in her room, which is supposed to decrease SIDS probability as well.

• imagebritishbride05:
    oh, and another reason i wasn't too concerned about the bumpers is that the bassient she was in for the first two months had more fabric and less ventilation on the sides than the crib with bumpers.  And ours was a pretty standard bassinet from BRU.

Huh.  Our bassinet had breathable sides.  I thought they all did.

• I didn't use a bumper when he was a newborn.  They don't really move around much when placed on their backs so I don't think a bumper is necessary.  That maybe why a bassinet is okay at that stage.

When he started rolling, I bought a breathable bumper.  Not only for SIDS but because the breathable bumpers will collapse if LO tries to stand on it.  Some of the cushy bumpers can be used as a step for a toddler to climb out of the crib.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsLeanna:
    I used bumpers with Alexis until she started standing on them around 18 months then I took them out. 

This exactly with Mikey :o)

~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"