South Florida Babies

Moms of 2 (or more) - help

I need some recommendations and advice. What are some of the essentials you wanted/needed for life with 2 kids? I don't know why I feel so lost on this!

I saved everything from Quinn and I know that I need the basics: new pacis, bottle nipples, diapers, wipes, etc but I really feel like I'm missing so much.

What kind of double stroller do you have? Quinn will be 2 years and 8 months when baby #2 arrives so I will definitely need some sort of double stroller but I don't want to spend a fortune.
What wrap/sling/soft carrier do you use? I have a Bjorn but I was never crazy about it, and I've heard a lot about the Ergo and the Moby. Any thoughts?
Double monitors? We still use a monitor with Quinn so I'm guessing we need a double monitor?

I think the bottom line is that I'm starting to panic a little (ok, a lot) at the thought of having 2 kids. I feel completely unprepared. I've been stressing about how to get 2 kids in and out of the car and car seats, nap times, having 2 in diapers, feeding, playing -- you name it, I'm stressing about it. Eeks, any words of wisdom?

Re: Moms of 2 (or more) - help

• Can't offer much support/wisdom, but wanted to chime in on the stroller issue.  We are currently looking at the Baby Jogger City Mini Double.  It is perfect since infant.  It is also side by side.  I tested it out at Buy Buy Baby the other day (I'm not obsessive, I was there buying gift for friend) and it was great!  Easy to manuver (sp) and super easy to fold!  They people there told me it was the best on the market right now.

Also, according to Consumer Reports, this one is great for siblings of different ages... Peg Perego Aria Twin 60/40.  It allows you to attach infant seat on the larger side, and later when child grows out of infant seat, larger child moves to larger side of stroller.

GL!

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't have any suggestions for the essentials but I wanted to tell you not to panic. You WILL figure it out!!! Most of our moms and grandmothers managed multiple children with little or no "baby equipment". You may think you are unprepared but I am confident you will do a great job as a mother of two. You will definitely surprise yourself with how much you can do :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel you!!  Life with two is a challenge at first, but you'll get the hang of it.  Girl, I have three and I'll tell you, getting the kids in and out of the car is a mission, but we've found a way to make it work.  First, I had to get a different car. I wanted the Honda Odyssey not only b/c it was bigger but b/c the doors open automatically.  This simple feature is a life saver.  I open one side door - both kids climb in and sit in their car seats, I plop LO in to his car seat base, close door, and walk to the other side to buckle Chelsea in.  Eli buckles himself in at this point :0)

The Peg Perego Aria Twin 60/40, Jackie mentioned is a gread stroller. I plan to buy one after I go back to work (they're $$$ and I'm keeping an eye on Craigslist for one).  But for right now, we are using a Combi side by side stroller that we can snap the infant carrier into.  I bought if off craigslist for $129.  I actually love it.  It's light and folds up into a golf bag size w/ a strap for easy carrying. 

I never got into the slings but I just bought the Ergo from the Children's Exchange in Coral Gables and am loving it! It provides more support for the baby and your back.  Benji enjoys his time in there as well. 

I'm not using a double monitor.  Just a single motion and sounds monitor for when I'm in the office or yard. 

Chelsea is still in her crib in her own room.  Benji is in a bassinett in our room.  The plan is to transition her into Eli's room - bottom bunkbed and move Benji into the crib/nursery until he's old enough to room with Eli. Whatever, your sleeping plans are, you should probably keep them separate until new baby is on some kind of sleep schedule. 

Words of Wisdom: Don't be afraid to ask for help.  You'll be surprised at how many people really do understand and want to help you out. 

• imagecocojack10:

Can't offer much support/wisdom, but wanted to chime in on the stroller issue.  We are currently looking at the Baby Jogger City Mini Double.  It is perfect since infant.  It is also side by side.  I tested it out at Buy Buy Baby the other day (I'm not obsessive, I was there buying gift for friend) and it was great!  Easy to manuver (sp) and super easy to fold!  They people there told me it was the best on the market right now.

Also, according to Consumer Reports, this one is great for siblings of different ages... Peg Perego Aria Twin 60/40.  It allows you to attach infant seat on the larger side, and later when child grows out of infant seat, larger child moves to larger side of stroller.

GL!

Jackie, I have the city mini double and I LOVE IT!!!!!   You can even attach infant seats on it- we put sarah in her car seat on one side and abby on the other.  I wasn't fond of the Aria at all... I felt bad for whichever kid was stuck on the 40 side lol

As for the monitors, I didn't like the double monitors b/c you couldn't monitor both at the same time.  We wound up using the same monitor abby has for her and bought a video monitor for Sarah- my reasoning was that instead of having to jump up and chekc on Sarah when I was with Abby, I could just carry the monitor with me and check her like that.   DO get digital monitors, though, that way there's no cross interference!

Allison- I have the moby and it's great.  It's a little bit of a b!tch to learn how to put on, but i stick Sarah in it and walk around doing dishes and stuff while Abby plays.  I really love it!

• as for support and words of wisdom- you'll do fine!  lol  If i can do it, anyone can :)  Abby's still in diapers, so when they both decide to poop at the same time (and they do, all the time) it's more of a "which baby is crying the hardest so i can change them first" reasoning lol 

What I was told before I had Sarah was this:  Babies are resilient and adapt much quicker than parents.  So while Quinn may have a few "off" days, he'll soon jump into the swing of things!  It's easier this time around, I found.  I'm less of a basket case, much calmer when Sarah starts screaming/crying and I think I sleep better this time around, since I'm not checking on her every 10 min lol

Good luck!!

• I kept all of my major stuff in really good condition from Nicky, so I am using all of that again.  All I needed new was:

- another crib mattress since Nicky's is being used for his toddler bed

- another mattress pad

- a 2nd monitor since we still use Nicky's video monitor

- a double stroller ( I went with the Maclaren).  I think I am also going to get a Caboose in about a year.

- new bottles since Nicky's had BPA in them

- a new diaper bag because my old one was shot and I needed something bigger

That was really about it.  Anything else I bought was because I was having a girl and couldn't use Nicky's clothes, blankets, bedding, changing pad covers, etc because they were blue. 

• imageANJ410:

- a double stroller ( I went with the Maclaren).  I think I am also going to get a Caboose in about a year. 

We used the Joovy Caboose Sit and Stand after Chelsea was born, Eli was three and we loved it!  It comes with an infant carrier adapter, you should definitely look into this stroller too.  We sold it because Chelsea's too young to sit/stand in the back while Benji rides in the front.  We tried it twice and she kept wanting to get out or would just fall out of it.  It was just not age appropriate for her.  When she's older, we'll get another one (she's 19 months).

• imagebritishbride05:
    Jackie, I have the city mini double and I LOVE IT!!!!!   You can even attach infant seats on it- we put sarah in her car seat on one side and abby on the other.  I wasn't fond of the Aria at all... I felt bad for whichever kid was stuck on the 40 side lol

Glad to know you like the City Mini, and good to know it can snap on a car seat.  I was telling SIL about it but thought it wasn't possible.  Must correct myself!  Oh, and I was suggesting the 60/40, so will also update her on that.  : )

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagecocojack10:

imagebritishbride05:

Glad to know you like the City Mini, and good to know it can snap on a car seat.  I was telling SIL about it but thought it wasn't possible.  Must correct myself!  Oh, and I was suggesting the 60/40, so will also update her on that.  : )

for the city mini, you have to purchase the adaptors, i think they're about 60 a piece.  But the awesome thing is that it's one of the few whose seats recline 180 degrees, so I strap sarah in (and have since about 3 weeks) and lay it all the way flat and drive her around like that :)  she's very comfy since she's not fond of the carseat!

• Stroller: I have the Peg 60/40, and it's been great.  I actually never used the carseat in it; I just put Graciela directly in the smaller side from about a week old b/c when Cedric saw it he immediately jumped into the 60 side so I left him there.  It doesn't go completely flat, but it was flat enough for her.  I like how light it is--I could fold it up and carry it easily at 8 months pregnant (when I tried it in the store).  It's not cheap, but it was a gift, so we were lucky.  A friend got one on craigslist for about $100.  But I also often used the snap and go stroller w the bucket carseat for the baby and had Cedric "help" me push it so I wouldn't need to use the double stroller (the single is smaller).

Car: With only two kids, we still have the Camry, and it's been fine, no problems.  The trunk is big enough to fit the double stroller, our single stroller, and a big bunch of groceries.  You'll get the hang of getting the kids in and out.  It gets easier as they get older.  In the beginning, I would put her in her bucket seat, leave her at the front door, carry Cedric to the car and buckle him in, and then return for Graciela.  I did that b/c he was really bad about running at that age, and I was always nervous about him running away from me.  Now that Cedric is 3, he hops into his carseat himself as I buckle in Graciela.  And leaving daycare, I used to carry her in and out in the bucket, holding his hand as he walked by my side.  Now I carry her on my hip as I hold his hand.

Carrier:  I loved the Baby K'Tan.  Loved loved loved it.  I used that thing so much in the beginning, it was unreal.

Two in diapers: Yup.  Like Jenny says, just do one at a time.  It's all you can do. 

Don't worry!!  You'll do fine!!

Tania

• oh, putting them in the car... yeah, I do the same as Tania!  Abby has a bad habit of running away from me and she, for some unknown reason, loves to run straight into the street.  So I have to put her in first and then go back for the baby.  She's the first one in and last one out :)  I've yet to go shopping with them alone, only out with DH, so no advice there... Im' terrified to do that alone!
  • Can't tell you it's not pretty crazy cause I'm still adjusting, but it can be done! Maybe you're lucky they'll both be in diapers. My older one is still not totally potty trained but I put her in panties cause she refused to use the potty if she had a pull-up on. She would just say "change me". Well, on the not good days she has a lot of accidents, all of which coincide with when the younger one has pooped through her diaper. The other day, I'm not kidding, my LO pooped through, I went to change her thinking I was safe cause older one was in the high chair. Came back to a puddle of pipi. I went to clean that, change the older one, when I came back the LO had pooped through again, then the older one did more pipi and started jumping in the puddle. But that's about as bad as it gets, lol. Who knew a kid could have so much pipi!

Enough of the horror stories, cause you'll just find them funny once they're over and you look back, it's all silly stuff. As for the stroller, I have the Mia Moda Compagno. It's a bit heavy but it folds standing upright which I love.I think if you go on Amazon there's a video review of it. Right now I don't use it much cause my little one hates the carseat so I just carry her in my bjorn. When she was smaller I used the Baby Balboa sling which worked great. She would fall asleep there all the time (and I was paranoid about seeing she was breathing ok, so no worries with that sling recall that went on last month). It was really helpful when we went to the park or to play so that I could have my hands free.

Just remember, that this all goes quickly and any panic attacks you have will soon be over when they're both bigger and you have other stuff to worry about!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"