Pregnant after 35

How painful: CVS &/or Amnio?

How painful was your CVS or Amnio in all seriousness??  I know it won't compare to L & D, but I was curious as to what it "felt" like.  Please be blunt! Big Smile

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How painful: CVS &/or Amnio?

• Well, I've actually had both-- did an amnio with DS and a CVS this time around. Really, it's NOT painful. It's like getting a shot. Don't watch and you'll feel a prick or a sting. You might feel a little pinching and it's just a little uncomfortable because it takes longer than a shot. Honestly, between the 2, I thought the CVS was a little more painful because (you asked us to be blunt) they have to sort of jiggle the needle around when it is in you. My CVS was done through my abdomen though and not trans-vaginally, so I can't say what that feels like. Really, both tests are just more uncomfortable than painful. I'm sure you've experienced worse pain in your life. It's just a lot of mental stress and you feel totally exhausted afterwards. Definitely take the rest of the day off after either test and if you can treat yourself to one more day, take advantage of the excuse to relax a little more.
    Cy (04.02.2008) & June (10.05.2010) 
  • I had an amnio done and to be honest the anticipation of it is worse than the actual procedure. They gave me a little local anesthetic before they went in with the big needle. I didn't even feel the needle go in. I did feel a little "sensation" (don't know how to describe it, but it wasn't painful) when they were removing the amniotic fluid but that went away pretty quickly. The entire procedure took about a minute. I'm a wimp when it comes to needles and kept my eyes closed the entire time. Then I went home and had a princess day (weekend) :) Seriously, it was not painful at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've heard that abdominal CVS and amnio are more painful, but I think the cervical CVS would be more painful. I hate seeing needles though so I would opt for the cervical CVS again if that were an option. I'm not doing an amnio since I had good CVS results.
    I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • I had a CVS and it was done through my abdomen (twice of course, since there are twins). It really wasn't that bad. I think the "idea" of what was going on made it seem more painful. And like another poster stated....the doctor jiggles the needle around and that isn't all that fun. But it was pretty quick and I felt fine after. Didn't even have a bruise.
  • I had my CVS in March.  The doctor originally tried to do it vaginally and after poking around for a while, she decided that she could not get a good "take" on my placenta so she then did the CVS through my abdomen.  The doctor warned me that I would feel a pinch when the needle went in and that I may experience a "charlie horse" type pain when they go through the muscle to the placenta to extract the villi.  I waited for that "charlie horse" and kept my eyes focused on the screen on the wall (I hate needles).  I'm happy to say that I never experienced that type of "charlie horse" pain, but I did feel an uncomfortable presssure sort of like someone pressing their finger deep into my abdomen from the outside, but overall it was not horrible (I've had blood drawn that hurt more - bad phlebotomist!!!).  I didn't have any cramping or other side effects afterwards either (thank God!).  Again, not a horrible experience.  HTH!  Smile
  • Thank you so much for the responses!!  Sounds like the "thought" of it is worse than it really is!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had my amnio 2 weeks ago. They didn't use any local anesthesia before inserting the needle or anything. The needle going in felt like a shot (maybe "slightly" worse, but not bad by any means). The jiggling of the needle and changing of the vials was uncomfortable but it's not that bad. Had some mild cramping after for a few hours and then took it easy the rest of the day. I was planning on going back to work, but decided to take the afternoon off. Be sure to plan on that for yourself. I did have some soreness where the needle entered for about 1 week or so. It was uncomfortable to sit, when something touched it (like panties, etc), etc. but it wasn't bad at all.
  • just chiming in, I've had both,  and I am a total scaredy-cat who hates needles, and they were both fine.  My CVS (with prev. preg.) was done trans-vag., so that was just like a slightly more uncomfortable pap smear.   And the amnio was not any more painful than any other shot or blood draw. It's done with a very fine needle, and the doctor made sure to avoid my nice fibroid to avoid causing any extra discomfort.  

I'd say I had light cramping after both, probably more with the CVS.  I went home and to bed after each procedure.

• I had an amnio about 5 weeks ago. They didn't use the local anesthetic on my belly or anything. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The needle going in was just like a shot - actually not as bad as my flu shot was! I had cramping the whole day after and soreness at the spot where the needle went in for several days. My doctor was adamant about resting off my feet for 24-48 hours afterwards...I rested the rest of that day and the next 2 days. We weren't taking any chances!
  • I have only had an experience with Amnio but it was not bad at all. It was quick and uncomfortable for about a minute, but it did not hurt. Just don't look at the needle and you will be fine. Look forward to getting papmpered for a day or two afterward !
  • I'm having CVS on Monday.  Right now, it will be done vaginally.  I saw the Dr who will be performing the procedure yesterday and he suggested that my bladder not be so full so he can get a better angle on the placenta.

He also said nothing to me about taking it easy.  He said I shouldn't feel anything - slight cramping if anything, maybe some spotting.  Right back to work the next day.

I just hope I'm up for some shopping!  I haven't been to Honolulu in 2 years and need my Big City fix!

I'll let you know how it goes next week.

• i had the CVS done vaginally, it was just like a pap smear. a little uncomfortable but not at all painful. like pps said these procedures tend to be much worse in the 'anticipation stage'. i had to drink like 6 cups of water prior so they could see better (the full bladder pushes the baby into sight) so it was like a more intense pap smear (i was just trying not to pee on the dr! ;-). i was really tired afterwards and slept a ton for the rest of that evening and over the next 2 days. i think stressing so much about it wore me out, and then it was surprisingly fast and drama-free. i'd say, give yourself extra time to recover incase you need it. i scheduled it just before the weekend. GL!

• This. My vaginal cvs was more like a slightly more uncomfortable pap smear.
  • My CVS yesterday was through the belly rather than the cervix as originally planned.  I was most definitely more scared than anything.  I didn't really feel the needle until it hit the uterus (charley horse - yes!).  And the wiggling was very unnerving.

I loved the mall but didn't shop and ended up back at the airport early.  I was just tired and a little emotionally spent. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"