Babies: 0 - 3 Months

11 weeks - Eating Schedule

DS is 11 weeks old and he barely makes it 3 hours between nighttime feeding it's more like 2.5 hours.  I'm a SAHM with no other kids so, the sleep deprivation is not a big deal for me, but should he be sleeping longer?  Is this indicative of something I'm doing wrong with his feedings?

I offer him as much as he'll take before he goes to bed at 7:30, and then I give him one breast at each feeding when he wakes up.  I though you weren't supposed to feed them both breasts...  Am I wrong? 

Prudence
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Otis
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: 11 weeks - Eating Schedule

• Not sure about the bfing part, but some babies take longer to sleep through the night.  I have been told by several people and have even read on here through the last couple of years that some children are 2 yrs. old before they stop waking up during the night.  I am sure you are not doing anything wrong, he is just not ready.  Best wishes.
  • My LO is 9 weeks and she feeds every 2.5 - 3 hours.  I do the same as you and she's growing and is healthy.  I heard it just takes time.  You're not doing anything wrong!  Hang in there.

BFP #1~12/20/08, EDD~8/17/09, natural MC~12/23/08;
    BFP #2~5/25/09, DD born 1/27/10
    BFP #3~2/13/12, EDD~10/24/12, MC at 12w6d, D&C - We love you baby Addison
  • Loading the player...
  • N just started sleeping through the night. Prior to that, we were on the every 3 hour schedule. All of a sudden, one night he just slept for 8 hours. It was fabulous! So bear in mind that your LO might start STTN soon.

And you don't HAVE to give your LO both breasts at a feeding. But one thing I found helpful was to feed N until he was sleeping and then change his diaper. That woke him up and he was able to eat a little more.

Diaper changing might give you a little extra sleep! GL!

• DD just turned 12 weeks today, but lately, she has been eating every 2.5 to 4 hours, based around her sleeping/waking up... at night, she goes 4-6 hours. I am a bf'er.
  • You aren't doing anything wrong! Remember that they digest breast milk in only 2 hours. His timing sounds fine.
  • ibisibis member

Mine's still eating that often at 10 weeks.

I would offer both breasts if he wants both, though. I'm not sure why you heard that advice unless it was to make sure he got the hindmilk. I feed him as much as he will take at a night feeding - the more they eat, the more they sleep. 

• Make sure he gets as much out of the first breast as possible. If you switch too soon, he'll fill up on foremilk & it doesn't have as much calories as the hind milk. He would be hungrier sooner if that were the case.

Also, if you can pump a bottle & give that to him before bed so that you can make sure he eats enough...

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My baby is 11 weeks and I usually feed him at 8:30 or closest to 9 pm as possible. He usually naps around 5 until I wake him up for the night time bottle. I was BF until I had to go back to work. But I found that BF at night time and giving him a bottle allowed him to sleep more at night. I wasn't producing much milk and he would eat every 30 mins to an hour. So I had to start suplementing with formula. Enfamil has a night time formula Enfamil Rest Full Lipil. It is thicker than regular formula therefor stays in his belly longer. He sleeps from 9:30-10 until 5 am every night. You might want to try it and see how it goes. It wont hurt him if you BF and then give him a bottle until he is full just at night time so you can get some rest. I would start with 2-3 oz if you decide to try it out. If you do, you might want to get a nipple with a bigger hole for the bottle, they have the slow and fast nipple. Since the milk is thicker is harder for them to suck it. It took my baby almost 2 hrs to drink it the first time bc it was a slow nipple until I changed it to a fast nipple and he ate it within an hour and went right to sleep through the night.
    I hope it helps!!!

PS If you are worried about making him constipaded it wont, since you are BF and giving him a bottle your milk will clean his system in the morning feeding.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"