Parenting

Teachers, moms who have done preschool - curriculum question

I'm having the hardest time choosing between 2 preschools.  One is more academic-oriented and the other is more "social" oriented.  I have a link to the curriculum of the social-oriented school.

Any thoughts?  I don't know much about curriculum for early childhood.  My fear is that he will be bored since he already knows colors, numbers, shapes etc.  

https://www.tinytotsbelair.com/curriculum_threes.php

If you have experience with preschool (teaching, sent your kids already etc), does this seem standard to you, or a little too slow?   

Re: Teachers, moms who have done preschool - curriculum question

• I think it looks fine.  I think that preschool should be about fun, not about curriculums.  They have plenty of time for education once they hit kindergarten. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had DD in a very education based preschool and pulled her out. At her age (3) it was too much and she didn't want to go because it wasn't fun. Now we have her in a preschool that focuses more on socialization and she is much happier and has learnt a lot more, which I think because she is not forced and is happier and more comfortable.
  • Loading the player...
  • That sounds pretty similar to the school that DS goes to. I agree with pp, preschool, for me at least, is more about learning social skills, listening and following directions from someone other than a parent, etc. DS has learned a lot, loves school, and doesn't seem bored to me.

• as a kinder teacher, lean more towards fun and social.  they will learn everything they need to know in kinder.  they can only be young once.  let them be :)
  • I would base it on what you think is a good fit for him.  My DD already is super far ahead with academics, but socially she needs to have more interaction.  So I went with the place where they focus on more hands on learning and that has lots of outdoor space to play.  She is super shy, but after about 15 mins she didn't want to leave...so I knew that would be a great place for her to be.
  • imagekertybird:
    I would base it on what you think is a good fit for him.  My DD already is super far ahead with academics, but socially she needs to have more interaction.  So I went with the place where they focus on more hands on learning and that has lots of outdoor space to play.  She is super shy, but after about 15 mins she didn't want to leave...so I knew that would be a great place for her to be.

This, for sure.  My twins go to a socially oriented school, but they are MSDE and NAEYC certified.  I think their academic curriculum is really soft, and DD can already meet or exceed most of the 4 yr old objectives and she's only in the 3s this year- she reads short vowel words and ~15 sight words - but being social is her challenge.  She is just  now getting how to play with others and make friends outside her brother.  I seriously thought about moving her to a more academic school next year but I realized it wouldn't help her do what she's lacking.  It would only widen the gap for her, I think.

Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

• My 3-year-old DS goes to a NAEYC accredited public preschool in one of my state's strongest districts - the curriculum is very similar to the link you posted. It is essentially teaching skills through play. He loves it, his teacher and his friends.

DS is very social and his academic skills are on par, but he has a speech delay due to articulation issues. For him, extra practice talking with others is very much needed. An academic program would not provide that interaction.

• Just wanted to thank everyone who responded. I just registered him for this school. You all are right - he will still learn through play and after all, he is THREE. I need to chill and let him be a kiddo and do what they do. He is a very smart little guy, but he's learned all of that at home and that won't stop just bc he's at school 2 days a week Thank you all for putting it into perspective :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"