Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Marathon B/F session

DS has wanted to nurse nonstop for the last three hours. He's pretty much using me to sleep but he's still getting a good amount of milk. I try to pull him off when he starts just suckeling but he wakes up and screams and roots till I put him back on. Anyone know what this is about? He sleeps in 3-4 hour increments from about 1:30am until 4pm. Do you think that he's just storing up?
Liam is 5!
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Marathon B/F session

• Options
    It's called cluster feeding.  My LO will do this on occasion and then sleep really well afterwards :)
  • Options
    Cluster feeding- may be a growth spurt!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The PP is correct. It is called cluster feeding.

Mothers often interpret cluster feeding as an indication "that baby is not getting any milk or is getting an insufficient amount" of milk (Riordan and Auerbach 283). This is the prime time when women resort to using supplemental bottles of formula in the early postpartum period.  Please be assured that cluster feeding is normal.  Cluster feedings are actually series of mini feedings that are often followed by another period of deep sleep.  Mom should catch up on her own sleep between cluster feedings (Riordan and Auerbach 283). Even if mom is unable to sleep, she should still rest either in bed or in a comfortable chair with her feet elevated.

Cluster feeding may also serve a physiological purpose. The increased frequency and breast emptying may have a major role in signaling the breasts to begin producing more milk. Mothers often report that the baby seems to have a heightened need to nurse right before their "milk comes in." Some mothers refer to this period as "marathon nursing."

Riordan and Auerbach state that "If baby is denied access to the mother when cluster feedings are most likely to occur this behavior [cluster feeding] may not occur until after the mother is home (284)." So if the baby has been separated from the mother in the hospital for reasons such as medical complications in the mother or baby, these sessions may not occur until mom and baby go home from the hospital.

Learning about these episodes can prevent mom from falsely assuming her milk is inadequate and giving the supplemental bottles of formula when they aren't needed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"