Parenting after a Loss

T&P's please....

Ok, so the pediatrician called us this afternoon and told us that Harper failed the newborn screening for Cystic Fibrosis.... we are terrified.

I just got back from taking her to the children's hospital for further testing.

They have told us that sometimes the nurses get in a hurry and do the testing wrong.  Thus, there is a significant level of false positives.  Of course, this doesn't really help when I am here holding my precious little one worried that she has a long road ahead of her... and not knowing the answers.

It may take us 3 to 4 weeks to know the results of her tests.... but would you please say a prayer for her.... we are just so scared for her.... please give me some strength to not lose my mind with worry....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: T&P's please....

• I just said a little prayer for your DD.  Your pedi's words are comforting though.  Hang in there--I can not imagine how terrified you must be but no matter what, these first few weeks with your baby only come once in a lifetime so try you very best to stay in the present--the tiny baby thing does not last very long!  hugs
  • Alice, I'm so, so sorry for this scare. But like the pedi said, mistakes can definitely be made. Sending lots of T&P your way and I'm sure Harper's going to be just fine :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh sweet girl. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. You can bet that I will be on my knees for Harper. I can only imagine how you guys are feeling. Just remember that the false positives are extremely high are I pray that she is part of that.

Did she get tested for that right after she was born? I haven't heard of that.

I'm not sure if you are a believer but know that fear is not from the Lord. I will be praying for peace for you guys. We have been going through a very stressful time with Kate since day 1 with her blood tumor. My fear is gone and I have been filled with an overwhelming peace...praying the same for you guys.

Looking forward to hearing the great results!!!!

• Hugs, thoughts and prayers..... I'll be thinking of you guys.
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope everything is OK and you will all be in my thoughts.
  • Thinking of you and your LO and family.  I'm so sorry you have to go through this but take comfort in what your doc said.  I like the PP mention of staying in the moment. Take care sweetie.

DD is on her way to 2! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • T&P coming your way.  I hope you get positive news and the first results were just wrong.  I am praying for you and your sweet little girl. 
  • Oh, Alice, I'm so sorry you have to worry about this. Lots and lots of T&Ps that harper is perfectly healthy and well. And then we're going to go kick some nurse hiney for scaring us all like that! (Hugs)
    Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Oh no!  I'm so sorry you are going through this!  Harper and you family is in my prayers tonight!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!
  • I'm so sorry!  I can't even imagine, but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  I know it's going to be a very long 3 or 4 weeks, but just hang in there and hopefully your sweet girl will keep you distracted and you won't think about it!
    Our little angel went to heaven at 6w3d Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My LO also tested for the Cystic Fibrosis marker at birth.  Her follow-up screening that they did at her two week appointment, however, came back negative.  So, based on my experience, it sounds like there are many false positives from the first test.  Hope it is the same for your sweet baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just to clarify, she tested positive on the first screening at birth, and then negative on the two week screening.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know that must be so difficult to wait but hopefully it is a false positive, especially since that is common. My T&P are with you that Harper is good and healthy.
  • I will say a prayer for you and Harper tonight. 
  • DrDPMDrDPM member
    Did either you or Alex test positive as a CF carrier when they did your bloodwork way back at the beginning of your pregnancy? If not, I'd most definitely say it's a false positive. Try to stay calm and enjoy your perfect little girl - everything will work itself out. My thoughts are with you!
  • imagestacydelpop:
    Did either you or Alex test positive as a CF carrier when they did your bloodwork way back at the beginning of your pregnancy? If not, I'd most definitely say it's a false positive. Try to stay calm and enjoy your perfect little girl - everything will work itself out. My thoughts are with you!

we didnt do the testing... i am kicking myself right now....Crying

• A prayer has been said for your sweet girl.
  • I'm praying it is a false positive...  Your whole family is in my prayers.

Edit - it's late and I'm not sure I'm saying it right.. I'm praying the test is incorrect and your sweet baby girl is healthy.

• DrDPMDrDPM member
    imageabartane:

imagestacydelpop:

we didnt do the testing... i am kicking myself right now....Crying

Oh, sweetie, no kicking allowed. Would knowing any sooner make you love Harper any less? Would you have done anything different? No matter what the results, she's your beautiful, perfect little girl. And, if she happens to test positive for CF, then you and Alex will figure out the best game plan for her and go from there. She chose you to be her parents, and she wouldn't throw anything at you that you couldn't handle. Think positive!

• Praying for a false positive. I know its difficult not to worry, but I feel in my heart that your baby is going to be ok. Does your family have a history of CF? If not, I would be more inclined to say that the test was wrong and Harper is ok since its all genetic. Keep us posted.
  • I will definitely keep you guys and your sweety in my prayers!  She's really beautiful, BTW. 
    accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • ibisibis member
    I hope you get good news soon. Hang in there.
  • baby harper is in my prayers. ((hugs))
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *************************************************************************************** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You both are in my thoughts and prayers!!!
  • You, Harper, and you DH are in my T&P's. I'm sure the next few weeks will be hard to wait through, but hang in there and love your little one-she is so adorable!
    Missed m/c at 11w 7/08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Your family is in my prayers. I can't imagine the wait but just snuggle on your precious daughter and trust that things will be okay.
    After 2 m/cs, dx October 2008 with hetero factor v leiden & mthfr & low progesterone; third time was the charm - BFP 3/19/09 on first cycle of clomid. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are in my thoughts and prayers, especially as we enter Easter weekend.  I will pray that your dr. is right and that it's a false positive.  Much love to you girl.   
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Alice, I am praying for you and your sweet Harper. Your pedi's words are very comforting and like Rachel said try to stay calm & enjoy this tiny baby stage! We are here for you! ((((HUGS))))
  • Thinkingof you and Harper.  I hope hope hope it was a false positive.
    Mia Elizabeth 8/19-8/20/08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Alice, tons of false positive and calming vibes coming your way :::hugs:::
  • Sending them your way!  Stay strong!!!
    BFP #1 = 12/23/08 M/C = 1/5/09 @ 6 w 0 d
    BFP #2 = 3/30/09 DD born 12/9/09
    BFP #3 = 5/17/11 EDD = 1/27/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    18 months
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am so sorry!  Yall are in my thoughts and prayers... hopefully the test was incorrect.  Hang in there.
  • I'm praying for Harper! I really hope it was just an error.  ((HUGS))
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"