Babies: 0 - 3 Months

echogenic bowel?

Hi all, I'm from the 2nd trimester board.  I just had my level 2 ultrasound and found out we're having another girl!  We are very excited, and I'm hoping Rebecca and her sister are as close as I am with my sister.

Along with finding out this good news, the doctor noticed she has an echogenic bowel.  He said it's nothing to get upset about, but I'm going back in 6 weeks for another ultrasound.  I'm negative for CF and my DS risk is 1 in 10000.  Because of these factors and that everything else looks ok, he doesn't think she's at risk for DS or CF, but wants me to get bloodwork done to check for some possible infections.  Did any of you go through this or something similar and have healthy babies?  I'm trying not to worry too much about it, I know doctors these days have to tell you every little possibility because of liability.

Thanks so much...

Re: echogenic bowel?

• My son actually had several markers for DS, one being an echogenic bowel.  It was discovered at his early anatomy u/s (15 week).  They encouraged us to do the amnio to determine if he had downs, but I had a previous m/c and didn't want to take the risk of another m/c (although the chances are low - I knew it wouldn't have changed our decision to continue the pregnancy so no need to put my son's life at risk).  Anyway - I had several additional u/s (at week 20,24, and finally at 28 it appeared "normal".  They never sent me for any bloodwook for infections.  We have a beautiful and healthy boy with no signs of having down syndrome.  We are greatful for that.

Getting diagnosed with an echogenic bowel is a judgement call on the part of the technican.  Personally I think they are so afraid of getting sued for not identifying DS or CF so any possible hint of a marker encourages them to screen, or test unnecessarily. (We had the additional fluid in the neck at the NT scan, echogenic bowel, echogenic heart, and dialation of the kidneys - four markers  - it made me worry for so long of my pregnancy it was hard to enjoy it)  

Sorry so long, but many babies with an echogenic bowel are perfectly healthy - keep that in mind!  GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lost our first angel, 10/24/08 7w6d
    Proud mama to Cameron
    Lost our second angel, 2/16/11 8w
    Proud mama to Melanie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"