Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Lifting babies carseat

When i left the hospital I was told not to pick up anything heavier than my LO until my 6 week appointment (I had a vaginal delivery).  I [icked her up in her car seat and the nurse told me not even do that.  Once we left the hospital I had back pain from lifting her in the car seat.  I was wondering when you started lifting your LO in their cars eat?  Do I really have to wait six weeks?  That seems a little extreme to me.  I would like to get out of the house with her before then. 

Re: Lifting babies carseat

• I had a c-section and did not wait the rec 6 weeks.  I lifted it after about 2.5 weeks.
  • I had a c-section and I was lifting her carrier at two weeks for very short distances (put in the car or lift out and into a shopping cart).   My DD was only 7lbs at birth but I managed just fine.  Six weeks seems crazy to me
    1/4/2012 - First US w/HB 129, EDD 8/25/2012 2/2/2012 - Second US w/HB 162 2/29/2012 - HB 150 Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Was the nurse confused?  Did she think you had a C?.  I had my second c-section and was lifting mt 25 lb toddler at 4 weeks pp (not recommending it, just can't imagine why you would have lifting restrictions after a vaginal delivery).  I'd call the doc and ask for clarification.
  • I carried him out of the hospital in his car seat.  I was lifting 30 lb weights two weeks later.  Maybe the nurse thought you had a section?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did at around 4 weeks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a vaginal delivery both times and didn't have that restriction.  With my DD I had a 2nd degree tear and this time no tearing at all.  I'm not sure why you have the back pain, but if you have stitches, they told you not to lift it so you don't tear your stitches.  That would be really awful if that happened, so if you don't feel 100%, just continue to take it easy. 

If all you want to do is carry the carseat from your house to the car and then lift it into a stroller when you get to a destination I would think you're fine.  You could also leave the seat in your car when you get home and that would limit the amount you're carrying and lifting the carseat with your DD in it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a c/s and lifted the seat leaving the hospital.  My OB said to just listen to my body.

I would have gone insane sitting around for 6 weeks.  If you feel up to it, do it. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was not given lifting restrictions
  • I was given a 2 week lifting restriction but didn't listen after 2 days and I had a tiny 1st degree vaginal tear
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I had a c-section and didnt wait.  Both of the times I tried to lift him before the six weeks, I ended up in the ER with extreme pain in my abdomin.  They said it could be from the stiches tearing.  I know you didn't have a c-section and I wasn't aware that you were supposed to wait that long for a vaginal delivery too. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My nurse told me that only thing heavy I could lift was the baby in her carseat and not to do it very often.  I had her on Monday and was carrying her into a dr appt by Friday of the same week. 
    From miscarriages, a diagnosis of a bicornuate uterus, and fibroid removal surgery...It's been quite the journey but it was all well worth it. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They told me no lifting anything heavier than DS (alone, not in carseat) for ten days. I had a vaginal delivery.
  • I was told not to lift more than 15 pounds for two weeks, vaginal delivery.

I lifted the carseat probably a week later.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was told not to lift anything heavier than my baby for two weeks. I had an uncomplicated vaginal delivery.

I lifted the car seat after about 4 weeks...prior to that DH was off work as well so he always carried the seat.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"