Multiples

How much do you feed your twins?

My twins tured four months yesterday. But were four weeks early. I have been breast feeding and suplimenting with formula and expressed milk up until now and am in the process of transitioning to mostly formula. I have been feeding four ounces of milk/formula every three to four hours since they were a few weeks old. Now that they are so much bigger (14 pounds) I'm not sure how much to feed them. They had been eating two to three times a night but just stopped night feeding. I was reading online that some four month olds take eight ounces at a time which seems like a lot. 

How much and how often are you feeding your little ones? 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How much do you feed your twins?

• I want to say that at 4 months DD was taking 5oz and DS was taking 4oz, they ate every 3 hours. 8oz at 4 months is ALOT, mine are 8.5 months and have never taken that much in one bottle.

ETA: I wouldn't worry how much in each bottle, look at the overall intake; I think at that age its 28-32oz/day.

Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • When mine turned 4m, they were drinking anywhere from 5 to 8 oz at a time, 5 times a day. A week later they dropped the fifth bottle and started STTN. When they did that, they started drinking 8-9 oz per feeding pretty consistently. They were big eaters in the early months though, and chunked up fast. (And they were born at 37w6d so no adjusting ages.)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine were born 8 weeks early but at 4 months they were eating 5-6 oz 5-6 times a day and for their night time feeding they would eat 8 oz. They were STTN by this point as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hmmm, it's funny how fast your forget stuff. let's see my boys were born at 36 wks and at 4 mo they were STTN and eating 4x/day, 8 oz a bottle. shortly thereafter M started wanting MORE (like 10 oz a bottle), so thats when i started with solids (per pedi rec). 

ETA-my guys are total chunkers- 95% for weight........ 

• My babies are 3.5 months and they eat 5 times a day and each bottle is 5-6oz of pumped BM.  They top out at 25-30oz at the end of the day (DS is normally closer to 30 and DD is closer to 25)  I estimate that DS is about 14 lbs and DD is 11-12 lbs
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At 4 months, J was taking 8oz every 4 hours during the day and 6oz at night (38oz).  We switched him over to cereal per the pedi and now he takes 8oz 4 times a day and  usually another 2-4 with his rice cereal.  He STTN most of time now.

E takes 7oz 4 times a day and off and on 4 though the night.

I have always had really good eaters.  J is going to eat us out of house and home.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2 chem preg, 4 failed IUIs, 2 canc IVFs, 2 BFN IVFs, IVF #5 = BFP!!!
    3/23 Beta #1 @ 17dpo = 913, Beta #2 @ 19dpo = 1724, Beta #3 @ 21 dpo = 3240
    First u/s 3/29 @ 5 weeks 2 days - 3 sacs 6 weeks 3 days - 3 heartbeats 8 Weeks - Lost Baby C, Babies A and B going strong
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wow, I can't believe how much difference there is in how much babies eat! I always BF'd so my girls never ate more than 4-6 oz. at a time. I only know that from pumping when I was at work. Otherwise, I always fed them on demand but boobies don't produce 8 oz. per time so my girls never ate that much at a time. I agree with another post that it doesn't matter how much at a time, just overall intake. They will stop eating when they're full.
    Caroline Faith 1.10.06, Audrey Alexis 11.1.07, Noah James & Ethan Alexander 6.17.10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"