Toddlers: 24 Months+

The worst thing a parent can do is believe their child can do no wrong.

The worst thing a parent can do is believe their child can do no wrong.

Ok, discuss. :)

Re: The worst thing a parent can do is believe their child can do no wrong.

• I agree that it's one of the worst things a parent can do. 

"What the vast majority of American children needs is to stop being pampered, stop being indulged, stop being chauffeured, stop being catered to. In the final analysis it is not what you do for your children but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings." - Ann Landers

• Beautiful quote.
  • Loading the player...
  • is this in relation to the suicide and bullying in MA ?

https://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1243311&srvc=rss

sad.   should the school be held responsible since they knew?   they are not being charged... but 9 students are for harassment and more.  

I don't remember anyone being bullied to that extent in school  so sad.  

• I agree with you.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Absolutely agree!  Everyone can do wrong. 
  • I agree, spoiling is wrong but... 

Just b/c this is supposed to be a discussion I daresay there is a worse thing: a parent who thinks their child could do no right!  Stupid parents who believe their children can do no wrong don't necessarily ruin a kid b/c they could have grandparents, teachers, scout leaders, peers, etc. teaching them that they are not perfect.  On the other hand if a child's most intimate and important role model thinks that child is a loser it is nearly impossible for that child to recover despite all of the positive encouragement from outside sources.  Spoiling isn't right, but mental neglect and constant criticism is much worse. 

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • I DEF. dont think its the WORST thing, I can sure think of worse, but yes it is NOT good!
  • CMM05CMM05 member

Totally agree!

I'm a middle school teacher and I can't even begin to tell you what I see. The kids today are growing up with this sense of entitlement and the parents question me on everything. No way did their kid do that, how dare I accuse their child of doing such a thing, what did I do to make their child do that, etc, etc.....

ugh..... 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image*francisca*:

I agree, spoiling is wrong but... 

Just b/c this is supposed to be a discussion I daresay there is a worse thing: a parent who thinks their child could do no right!  Stupid parents who believe their children can do no wrong don't necessarily ruin a kid b/c they could have grandparents, teachers, scout leaders, peers, etc. teaching them that they are not perfect.  On the other hand if a child's most intimate and important role model thinks that child is a loser it is nearly impossible for that child to recover despite all of the positive encouragement from outside sources.  Spoiling isn't right, but mental neglect and constant criticism is much worse. 

Beautifully put.  The first thing I thought was that while damaging I think it's much worse for a parent to believe their child can do no right.  A child that is brought up being treated like that will go on to suffer much more than a child who's parents treat them as if they can do no wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"