1st Trimester

NT Scan results! Found out the gender too!!!

Just wanted to share my nt scan experience with you ladies. I had no idea what to expect but had the testing done since I will be 35 when I deliver. Results: 1 in 14,000 chance of Downs and 1 in 96,000 of Trisomy 18. I was expecting a much lower number (greater odds) because of my age so I am relieved. We also found out the sex at 12wks4days!!! It's a BOY!!! The tech who did the u/s said she thought it was a boy and the dr confirmed. He said they normally never tell sex this early but that there was no mistaking I am expecting a baby boy =) I'm in love.

P.S. For those of you have had the 1st tri screening/nt scan...are you also doing the 2nd tri screening/bloodwork?

Re: NT Scan results! Found out the gender too!!!

• What great news!!! Congrats on a healthy little boy! I can't wait for my NT scan. Two more long weeks!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • LCB34LCB34 member

The first and second trimester screenings are looking for completely different things.

Also, my little girl had a nice nub sticking out at our NT scan - all babies do at that point.  I would question any doctor that would confirm sex that early. 

• Loading the player...
  • Congratulations!  I had my nt scan done today too, (which thankfully went well) and also found out that I'm having a boy!!!!  My due date changed from oct 9 to oct 16.  So I'm 11 wks 4 days.

I go back in 4 wks for more bloodwork, then in 8 wks for another u/s.

• btw my ultrasound tech said that it all depends on how nub is angeled.  she was pretty darn confidant about my having a boy, but of course said it's not a guarantee because it is so early.  she been doing this for a veeery long time.
  • congrats, little boys are awesome but i wouldn't go out and buy all blue things just yet! i would wait until you can confirm it at the 20 week u/s.
  • imageLCB34:

The first and second trimester screenings are looking for completely different things.

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but what are they looking for then?

1st tri looks for DS T13 and T18

Quad screen (2nd tri) looks for DS, T13, T18 and neural tube defects right?

• LCB34LCB34 member
    imagefirsttogo:
    imageLCB34:

Forgive me if I am incorrect, but what are they looking for then?

1st tri looks for DS T13 and T18

Quad screen (2nd tri) looks for DS, T13, T18 and neural tube defects right?

Yes they are looking at all of that.  But, they are also looking for abnormalities in the heart, kidneys, brain, bone structure, and other parts that they could not see it great detail during the NT scan.

I may be lumping the anatomy scan and Quad screening together as my Peri does them together - so some lines may be blurred.

• Gotcha! I had a quad screen with DS2 (because I am a moron, and forgot to refuse it) and it came back high for DS. We then had to have a level II, and it was stressful! I never even thought to lump the two together!

No NT, or quad screen here this time. I do get a scan at every apt, so any major concern hopefully would raise a red flag, and we could consider further testing if warranted .

• thats great, but i would not go out and buy blue just in case.. 
  • Don't go buying blue. At my NT scan last pregnancy, the tech said she was 90% certain we were having a boy....well we had a girl. This was at 13 weeks 1 day.
  • Glad your scan went well.  I do have to agree with most of PP that said it is waaaay too early to confirm the sex of the baby at 12-13 weeks.  There is a link to a site floating around here somewhere that shows actual u/s pics of boy parts and girl parts and how they look nearly identical at this stage.  They also discuss the "angle" thing as well.  Maybe someone will read your post and send you the link.  I wish I knew it for you because it is quite interesting.  Again, congrats though on a great scan.

Dx with severe endometriosis. DS#1 conceived with Met and TI. TTC#2 for 2.5 yrs. Dx 2nd IF. 4 clomid cycles, 2 IUIs, Finally IVF#1 w/ICSI worked for us! twins born 35w3d. Unexpected total hysterectomy 6/11. Now on the HRT train.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"