Northern California Babies

Starting to really worry

A as some of you know had been having diarrhea and vomitting.  Knock on wood, the diarrhea stopped yesterday at 6pm.  BUT, over these few days his fluid intake has gone down DRAMATICALLY!  He is barely drinking.  He has had 4 oz all day today.  I have offered sippy cup, bottle, formula, water, pedialyte.  It seems like he is afraid of it or something, because now when we have the bottle he starts to wimper or fuss.  He is not interested.  I have now called the doctor 3 days in a row, because it just keeps getting worse.  I know the really scary signs - like lethargy, dry mouth, etc, but this can't be good for him, right?  He is still crawling, active, far from lethargic.

Am I just being overly worried?  Any other tips?

Re: Starting to really worry

• Good that you called the Dr and know the serious "take to the ER" signs.  It is so very scary to see your baby not eating and so sick.  How did he eat yesterday?  Have you tried offering something else in the bottle?  Or offering solids?  Hang in there Mama!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMy.ABC.Life:
    How did he eat yesterday?  Have you tried offering something else in the bottle?  Or offering solids?  Hang in there Mama!!

I have tried water and pedialyte in the bottle, without luck.  He is taking solids, not a lot, but eating better than yesterday. 

Thanks...

• Loading the player...
  • It's ok to worry.  That's what parents do.  I will say that when Shane was about 5 months old we had 10 days straight of throwing up/diarrhea.  Turned out that his daycare had norovirus getting passed around and since they didn't call me and tell me, I didn't know that we had to pretty much cover everything in bleach.  Anyways, since he was little, he wasn't as good at fighting the drinking.  We did straight pedialyte for that entire 10 days, knowing that a lot of it was coming right back up.  As long as you don't see those "go to the er now" signs, try not to worry too much.  Hope he feels better soon!
  • maybe you can make some pedialyte pops for him?  He might like the frozen treat and that might help get some liquids in him too.  I dont know..I've never tried it! 
  • Pedialyte tastes icky. Although it has a lot artificial stuff, Gatorade usually saves the day when babies don't want to drink anything and it has sugar and electrolytes.

I think if he is active and playful, he must be taking enough to stay hydrated.

so sorry he is sick! Poor little baby. 

• What about chicken soup?

Lilypie Maternity tickers"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Poor guy, and poor mama! Could you maybe give him some really thin purees if he'll still eat solids? Glad you know what to look out for, I hope he feels better very soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"