2nd Trimester

Measuring at 22 weeks at 18 weeks

I had a regular appointment today.  I am currently at 18 weeks but the dr said I was measuring at 22 weeks.  I asked if that meant I was further along than they think, which I don't think because the dates wouldn't add up.  He said it probably means that my baby is bigger than normal for 18 weeks.  OK-  Now people are freaking me out and have me thinking that I could be having twins.  I had a trans-vaginal ultra sound at 10 weeks and they only saw one and only heard one heartbeat.  Had a regular appointment at 14 weeks and only one heartbeat.  One one heartbeat was heard today as well.  Don't you think they would be able to hear more than one heartbeat at this point if it was twins?  

Re: Measuring at 22 weeks at 18 weeks

• I'm sure they would have noticed by now if you were having twins. You ought to be having an anatomy scan soon... you'll have your answer then.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kg_08kg_08 member
    Measurements they take just by measuring your belly or the height of your uterus can commonly be off. It could just mean that your uterus is growing faster, or that you have more fluid than normal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I really doubt it's twins - they would have seen/heard the other before now!

It could be that the baby is just big for this stage - which does not mean that it won't even out later.  Or you could have gained more weight than normal making your belly bigger??

My DD consistently measured 2 weeks ahead, but they never changed my due date.  But she was a big girl - 8lbs 12oz '1 week' early :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Not necessarily.  My boss had twins and no one knew until she had a c-section and they pulled out a second baby.

But I highly doubt you're pregnant with twins.  My little sister was measuring 3 weeks ahead and there's definitely only 1 baby in there.  I'm measuring a week ahead, and same thing... only 1.  

I wouldn't worry about it.

Batman likes to watch cartoons on the weekends. Whatever.

"I'll gladly take cold sores over eye herpes" -ElieFin
    "Unicorn glitter gives me UTIs." -Leila'sMommy
  • I am measuring 22 weeks (I'm just a littler further along than you) and asked my doctor if that was a big deal. She said that people are generally alloted 4 weeks difference. I am just carrying high so that probably has something to do with it. If your doctor isn't too concerned, I wouldn't be.
  • I doubt you're having twins.  All babies grow at different rates, some are bigger/smaller than others.  I measured ahead with DS and again with this pregnancy as well.
  • I think you would be able to hear more than one heartbeat.  My OB did a really early u/s at 6 weeks and saw 2 sacs at that point.  He still saw 2 sacs at 10 weeks.  At 16 weeks I was measuring at 20 weeks.  When they used the dopler on me, you could clearly hear 2 heartbeats, one on each side of my stomach.  You should be having your big u/s soon, so you'll be able to see if there's more than one in there at that point.
  • Is your doctor figuring this out by measuring your belly or by measuring the baby's size on an ultrasound?
  • I have only gained 2 lbs since my last appointment and only 2 lbs the entire pregnancy as I was pretty sick the first trimester so I stayed at the same weight until now.
  • I had the transvaginal ultrasound at 10 weeks and we only saw one and it was moving around pretty good so I am sure if there was a second they would have seen it.
  • By measuring my belly.  I have my ultrasound in 2 weeks.
  • imageangelame1979:
    I have only gained 2 lbs since my last appointment and only 2 lbs the entire pregnancy as I was pretty sick the first trimester so I stayed at the same weight until now.

I've only gained 2 lbs as well and am measuring big. Honestly, babies just grow at different rates, even in the womb. If you are still really concerned, I would double check again with your doctor. 

• I am short and by the end of my second pregnancy I was measuring 8 weeks ahead.  I just have no place for the baby to go but out.  I am sure it's not twins but if it is you should know soon.  GL
    Melissa, Mom to Audrey 01.11.06, Brianna 04.21.08, Clara 09.09.10 & Baby #4 is on the way!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageangelame1979:
    Don't you think they would be able to hear more than one heartbeat at this point if it was twins?  

actually no not if they are identical twins. When my mother was pregnant with my twin brothers their heart beat was together. I wouldnt stress though wait until your ultrasound.

• imageangelame1979:
    I had the transvaginal ultrasound at 10 weeks and we only saw one and it was moving around pretty good so I am sure if there was a second they would have seen it.

Uh yeah, you aren't having twins then. 

• imageangelame1979:
    By measuring my belly.  I have my ultrasound in 2 weeks.

measuring tape isn't an accurate way of measuring a baby's development and growth. I highly doubt your baby is a full month ahead just because your belly is really big- it really could depend on your body type and how you are carrying. When your doctor does an ultrasound and uses that technology to gauge your baby's size, you will get a much more accurate report of how big your baby is compared to how far along you are.

• Thanks everyone!  Makes me feel better.  I honestly don't think I am but it's kind of scary.  I mean daycare for twins!!!!  I would have to quit my job, there is no way we would be able to live off my hubby's salary.  It's a scary thought. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"