Cincinnati Babies

My child loathes sippy cups!

So up until about a week ago, I just gave Charlotte water out of sippy cups and she did just fine.  She'd take a sip here and there, nothing much but she was fine with them.  Now since we've transitioned to whole milk I've tried giving her milk in her cup at meals and she HATES it!  She literally smacks it away and off of her tray.  I'm trying to only give her a bottle when she wakes up in the morning and before bed, but I want to make sure she's still drinking enough during the day.  She will drink out of a straw or straight out of a cup with help...maybe I should get the straw cups?

Oh, and how much whole milk are they supposed to get a day anyway...I forget and can't seem to find an online reference?

Thanks!! Big Smile

~Amanda
Mom to Lily Gayle 4.25.06 Charlotte Kathleen 3.27.09 Samuel Thomas ~8.4.12~
Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: My child loathes sippy cups!

• Get the straw cups, it's better for their teeth anyway.  Maggie likes the Nuby straw ones.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Ellie only ever took straw cups for water, but she only takes milk out of a regular cup with a straw (which stinks, since she can't have that without one of us helping or right there). But that was the only way we could get her to take milk, and even that took months and months.

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I would get the straw sippy cups.  Ethan only recently started drinking out of the spout type sippy cups and took the straw ones for over a year!  We liked the Munchkin cups.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Gosh, kids can be so aggravating!  I agree with pp's, I'd go with straw cups if she will use them.  I got some Diego take & toss ones with a straw at Kroger pretty cheap....and bonus, they're spillproof!

As far as how much milk to give, the guideline is 16-24 oz daily.  Here's a babycenter article with a guide:

https://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-milk-when-and-how-to-introduce-it_1334703.bc?page=2#articlesection3

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • I'd get the straw cups.  FWIW, Brandon goes through phases where he does not want milk when he first gets up.  We got through them by giving him milk at different points during the day.  Our pedi reco's 12-16 ozs of milk each day (but no more than 16).  We broke that rule for a long time, and since we've gotten him off the bottle he's drank a lot less milk.  And his appetite has increased.  But honestly, if that's the only way she'll drink milk is through the bottle, I'd let her drink from a bottle.  I stressed way too much about the bottle thing, and he finally let us get rid of them about 6 weeks ago.  And then I saw a 3 year old with a bottle at the zoo today.  I felt much better. 
  • I'm glad you posted this. Anna will only drink about 4 oz of whole milk out of her sippy cup. She does pretty well with juice and water from the sippy. I might have to try the straw sippy cup like others have suggested here.

Anna is drinking about 16 oz of whole milk a day. But she is a very good eater!  Good luck with Charlotte! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"