Parenting

Am I overreacting?

DS's daycare is having an Easter egg hunt tomorrow. He won't be there, so they gave him his basket when we left today (the "hunt" is really just finding empty eggs, and then all the kids get a basket with a few candy-filled eggs afterward). All the parents were asked to bring in eggs and candy. When I opened up his eggs, I found Starburst, those 2-inch pieces of laffy taffy, Double Bubble bubble gum (those really hard pieces) and mini Tootsie rolls (also really hard).

DS is 3.5 and honestly, I would never give him this type of candy because I would be afraid of him choking on it -- especially the gum. All the kids in his class are 3-4 years old. I'll fully admit that I'm absolutely terrified of choking -- it's my paranoid mom thing. I'm tempted to send an email to the director asking her to please check the candy from now to make sure there's nothing they could potentially choke on. I'm sure she or the teachers were the ones who set up the eggs and the baskets, and it makes me sick to think DS could have choked on a piece there.  

Do you give your 3yo this type of candy? Am I being silly? I'm totally in the camp of the mom-who-still-cuts-up-grapes, so be honest.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Am I overreacting?

• I don't know if I'd bring it up with the director, but I'd never give that type of candy to Jackson.

I don't see anything wrong w/ bringing it up though - I'm just not sure I would.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think you're overreacting.  I'm sure the parents will check the candy and will remove anything they don't think is safe.  My 3.5 y/o has had tootsie rolls and Starburts. 
  • Loading the player...
  • ZenyaZenya member

imageDandelionMom:
    I think you're overreacting.  I'm sure the parents will check the candy and will remove anything they don't think is safe.  My 3.5 y/o has had tootsie rolls and Starburts. 

agree.  C lurves starburst and has for ages.   

• That's what was given out at the Easter Egg hunt last weekend.  I just cut it up & give it to her in small pieces, the gum I chewed.
  • I would give my 3.5 yr old Starburst, laffy taffy and mini tootsie rolls.  He wouldn't eat them (he's picky), but I wouldn't mind if he did for a special occasion.  I don't give my kids gum, but I wouldn't be upset if it was in the easter egg.  I haven't cut up grapes since my kids were 18 months or so, so we're obviously a bit different about those things :)
    Ryan 5/2010, Kyle 1/2007, Eric 3/2005
  • a friend had these in her 4y/os birthday pinata.  I hid them when we got home...  gave them the pieces I thought was more age appropriate.  dd (4 y/o) can probably handle it now though. but if she gets it,then ds wants some. so no.  he's too young. (2 1/2).  dd desperately wants gum.  I'm not allowing it yet.  but I had a ton of jaw issues (multiple orthodontists have seen the inside of my mouth) and she definitely will have the same issue.  so I'll probably avoid gum as long as possible.  dd has had tootsie rolls, when ds wasn't around.  those are just messy though. 
  • I wouldn't contact the director.

I still cut up grapes for my 2 y/o, but she's had Tootsie Rolls and Starburst too- I just make sure she's well-supervised when eating those things. (Um, okay, I actually kind of bite her Starburst in half, don't think she could handle the whole piece of candy.) 

I am paranoid about gummy bears/worms though- those are my crazy choking fear. 

• I think you're overreacting.  I wouldn't think twice about giving that type of candy to my not even 3 year old.  But then again, I haven't cut up her grapes since she was maybe 15 months old and I let her eat popcorn, carrots, hotdogs, etc.
  • Thanks ladies -- guess I won't be sending an email. I knew I was paranoid, but now it's certain! Embarrassed
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think you're overreacting to some extent....My almost 4 yr old could eat it all (except the bubble gum) just fine - and has.   My 2 yr old DD loves tootsie rolls and I have given her halves of starburst before.  

I don't know that you can really find the teacher or director at fault, though.  You said the parents brought it in, so apparently most parents there find it all perfectly fine.  Would you have rather they put a restrictions on what was brought? Usually if it is too regulated, people don't donate. I think if you're uncomfortable with your child having it, just don't give it to him.  And in the future, ask the teacher not to give him any candy (although I doubt it's a frequent thing). 

And I haven't cut up grapes for at least a year, for either child.    

• Joey and Cam have had gum for at least a year.

They have also had tootsie rolls, starbursts, gummy worms, etc.

Then again, I've never been paranoid about choking, even when they were babies.

• To be honest, I have no problem with gum in theory, but I would not give Jackson that nasty, hard double bubble sh*t. It's not really the same as other gum in my mind.

I'm not paranoid about choking, but I really wouldn't give him any of that hard, chewy candy.  I'm not sure if my reasoning is choking or because I just think it's gross/worse for their teeth, etc.  It sticks in there and stuff.  But that's probably why I wouldn't contact the director - it's not so much of a risk of something bad - just something I wouldn't give my kid.

• Uh ya,  My DS has that stuff no problem 

• DS eats all of the above except gum. There's no way I'd call the director about it though.
    Marcey
    Kaden William 11/4/06 and Dawson Michael 6/30/10
    Dawson's first birthday - at the zoo
  • I throw away candy like that. Not only is it a choking hazard, but even I don't eat it. I still cut up grapes, too. And hotdogs, and prunes . . .

I probably would not say anything to the director, but that's just me. I don't think it's overboard if you do.

• I am horribly paranoid about choking, but at 3.5, I have let J have some of those candies. 
  • Well, I think it's ridiculous for kids that young to be getting candy like that from school, choking hazard or not.  I would probably confiscate most of it from my DC.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I'd probably say something because they should be more careful.  Does any 3 or 4 year old chew gum?  Maybe some of that candy under close supervision would be ok, but the kids can't be watched that closely at a daycare center, kwim?  I toured a center once, that was recommended and accredited and they were feeding two year olds whole grapes...it made me nervous!

So I'd voice your concerns...if your son or any other child were to ever choke in a situation like that think of how awful it'd be!

• Our daycare gave out that kind of candy, and most of the kids had no problem eating it. I'm guessing the big reason they do that kind of stuff instead of chocolate is to avoid nuts and peanut butter.
  • well, after reading these responses I guess I have to lighten up too.  I wouldn't send a letter, but I don't give that kind of candy to my 3.5 y/o.  DH gave DS a starbust this weekend and I made him spit it out.  It's hard for me to eat those things, I can't imagine how hard it is for him!  but, I don't cut up his grapes anymore.
    Christmas 2009 image
  • Silly.   I don't give my kids gum but they have had the others.  I would just remove the candy that I didn't want my kids to have call it a day.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I actually would let my 3 year old DD have all that, she has been chewing gum for about 6 months.  But if your upset say something.

• Yes, I would give DD most of those. She eats the tootsie rolls and starburst. I just remind her to take little bites. I think the laffy taffy would be too hard, but again, I'd let her take small bites if she wanted to try it. The gum would kind of depend. Most of that kind is soft in the middle, so after one bite it's fine. I used to worry about choking. I still do with hard candy. She's good about not putting too much food in her mouth now. I stopped cutting up grapes shortly after 2 years when I watched DD eating them as a snack at daycare with no problems. She bites them in half anyway.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"