How do you feed your newborn twins? — The Bump
Multiples

How do you feed your newborn twins?

My boys are 2 weeks old and I am totally overwhelmed by our feeding regimen.  We feed every 3 hours, for a total of 8 feedings a day.  I am still attempting to BF, have met with various lactation consultants a number of times, and one of my little guys is a good nurser about half the time, while the other is good about 10% of the time.  Because that's so unpredictable, I pump and give them bottles of breastmilk.  Because both little ones lost weight, we were supplementing formula to get them back up to birthweight. So every 3 hours, this is what we do:

Baby A attempt to nurse

Baby A gets breastmilk bottle

Baby B attempt to nurse

Baby B gets breastmilk bottle

Baby A gets formula bottle

Baby B gets formula bottle

Mom pumps.

This takes about 1.5 hours each time.  I would love to find a way to cut back on some of this, but we can't figure out what piece to cut back.  I definitely want to keep pumping to keep my supply up.  We're hoping to eliminate the formula now that the babies are back to birthweight, but that depends on me pumping enough to keep up with their growth (I pump an average of about 100 ml every 3 hours).  It also depends on whether or not we can get them to be better breastfeeders.  I am wondering if it is too late at this point, or if there is still hope.  

How do you feed your newborn twins?  Does anyone EBF?  EP?  Please share your feeding regimens as I can use an insight I can get!  Thanks!

7/2009 - Gonal-F cycle #2 with Ovidrel trigger and IUI #5 - BFP! Twin boys born at 38 weeks 3 days! 8 months later...spontaneous BFP! And twins again! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you feed your newborn twins?

• I EBF and have from day 1.  My routine was very similar to yours.  In the beginning I did not tandem feed so I did them 1 after another.  We attempted nursing about 30 min. each and after that I would pump for 15 minutes.  Some feedings a baby would get a bottle because we were trial and error with everything.  It was exhausting but once they got the hang of it my supply was up and I no longer have to pump afterwards.  We now have our routine down to a tandem feed for 10 minutes every 3-4 hours.  Hang in there.  It is a lot of work and it seems like all you do is nurse/pump but in the end it is worth it if it turns out to be right for you.  Good luck!
  • The first week, I pumped and gave them my BM with formula added in to keep up their weight.  Then when my supply came in, I pumped and gave them bottles of BM.  Then around 5 weeks, I cut back on pumping and added in formula.  At 7 weeks, I quit pumping and give them formula (no BM).

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I pump 3-4 times a day and feed them breastmilk in a bottle for all their daytime feedings. We used to give them formula overnight, but now that they are sleeping through the night, we give them one bottle of formula right before bed and then breastmilk for all the other feedings. My boys were early and didn't latch very well at first and we just got in a routine of pumping and its what works for us. I feel good that I'm giving them almost all breastmilk and I have a pretty decent supply. btw....I've been renting a hospital grade pump for the past 3 months which I really think has immensely helped my supply. I really like our system and I never feel like I am just feeding the boys all day long. 

Good luck! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards