Breastfeeding

Help with pumping...

Hi Ladies. I am a new mommy and need help with pumping.  I have been pumping after every feeding since last Friday (except of during the night).  I am trying to build a supply for when I go back to work.  Since yesterday morning I have been able to collect 1 ounce.  That sucks for so much effort.  I have the Medela freestyle and I have been pumping for 10 minutes after each feeding, except for during the night.  What am I doing wrong?  I am eating lots and drinking tons of water.  I know the little lady is getting full at each feeding.  I need help!  Any advice would be great!  Thank you for the support~

Re: Help with pumping...

• I am not sure when you are headed back to work, but I didnt pump until 5 weeks and returned to work at 8 weeks.  I think you are starting awfully early - but if you have to, I don't think 1 oz is that back for a week old. 

Also, I would wait longer after each feeding.  When I started pumping, I would wait 45 minutes from the end of the feeding to pump that way my boobs had time to fill back up a little but enough time before DD needed to eat again.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have the freestyle but I also rented the Symphony from the hospital. The lactation consultant told me that in the begining a hospital grade pump is the best to start pumping with and then when my supply regulates itself I can transition to my freestyle. I don't know why this is, but I have had good results with pumping with the Symphony, but I havn't tried my freestyle yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't get much for my effort at first either. Don't worry! The milk will come... especially when LO starts cluster feeding and it may all get overwhelming for a week or so, but hang in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sounds like you are doing what you need to do. I started pumping at about 1 week in between feedings and only got 1-2 oz. I started EP'ing at 4 weeks and get 8-10 oz per pumping now (15-18 during the first morning pump)... It just takes a few weeks to build up...
  • i have to agree with others - it is a bit early, your supply is still regulating, and remember, pump does not get nearly as much milk out as your LO.

i am sure you will see a big difference in a week, or even a few days. Don't stress about it

P.S. - i have manual Avent ISIS pump, and it has been very productive and easy to use. If you get frustrated with your pump and want to try other models, i would highly recommend ISIS manual - it's portable, easy to use, inexpensive. The only thing - milk can get under the massage cushion insert and leak, to prevent it i lean forward until the letdown is achieved - and no more leaking.  I was able to pump 1-2 oz per side in 5-7 min (per side) initially on day 5, then i gave it a rest for a week and now it has been 3-5 oz per side. The best part is that pumping is not painful or uncomfortable

GL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"