Stay at Home Moms

Best Way to Boil and Peel Eggs?

I'm eating them for breakfast daily now and I end up throwing half of them away because they peel horribly so I must be doing something wrong.  

How do you boil and peel your eggs?

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Best Way to Boil and Peel Eggs?

• I put my eggs and cold water in a pot on the stove.  Once it's boiling I set the timer for 15 minutes.  After that I take them out with a slotted spoon, run them under cold water, crack the egg and peel.  I've never really had a problem.  Maybe it's the brand of eggs you're using?  Though I buy the store brand... Hmmm.
  • imageEnglishMajor03:
    I put my eggs and cold water in a pot on the stove.  Once it's boiling I set the timer for 15 minutes.  After that I take them out with a slotted spoon, run them under cold water, crack the egg and peel.  I've never really had a problem.  Maybe it's the brand of eggs you're using?  Though I buy the store brand... Hmmm.

I'm using store brand too but right there I'm doing it differently.  I was told to bring just to a boil, then turn off heat and pull them out as soon as you can reach in and pull them out by hand.

I'll def try your way... thanks! 

• Loading the player...
  • Perfect eggs every time: 

Put eggs in saucepan and add just enough cold water to cover the eggs.  Bring to a boil.  As soon as the water starts to boil, turn the heat off completely and put a lid on.  Wait 10 minutes.  As soon as 10 minutes has passed, put the pot under the faucet and let cold water run on them (you can pour the hot water out first).  Once the water is completely COLD the eggs are perfectly ready to peel.  I think the reason your eggs are coming apart when you try to peel them is because you are trying to peel them when they are still warm.

I hope this helps!  It seriously makes perfect eggs every time.  :o)

• imagedetroitblondie:

Perfect eggs every time: 

Put eggs in saucepan and add just enough cold water to cover the eggs.  Bring to a boil.  As soon as the water starts to boil, turn the heat off completely and put a lid on.  Wait 10 minutes.  As soon as 10 minutes has passed, put the pot under the faucet and let cold water run on them (you can pour the hot water out first).  Once the water is completely COLD the eggs are perfectly ready to peel.  I think the reason your eggs are coming apart when you try to peel them is because you are trying to peel them when they are still warm.

This is what I do too.

Also, if you want easier to peel eggs, they should be days old and not fresh........your eggs may be too fresh. If you can't peel them easily, then put them back in the fridge for a couple of days, and it should be easier.

HTH!

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • imageMamatoJackson:

I'm eating them for breakfast daily now and I end up throwing half of them away because they peel horribly so I must be doing something wrong.  

How do you boil and peel your eggs?

Thanks! 

FACT-the fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel. Once an egg has sat in the fridge for about a week or 2, they peel super easy. It has to do with the quality, not the cooking method. HTH?

• I read somewhere that adding salt to the water helps the shell come off easy.
  • imageJust_Lisa:
    I read somewhere that adding salt to the water helps the shell come off easy.

Adding salt (and vinegar) help with eggs not cracking during boiling, and if they do crack, they won't spread and stay in their shells......

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I put them in cold water, bring to a boil,  lid it, set to simmer for 15min or so... then let it cool under cold running water.   when I do peal, I pop the egg down gently on the cutting board to crack the shell and then roll it... shell rolls right off  
  • imagedetroitblondie:

Perfect eggs every time: 

Worked like a charm... thank you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"