Attachment Parenting

My mom is insanely selfish, perhaps that's why I'm AP

My mom refused to breastfeed because it was "too animal".  She couldn't emotionally handle being a parent so she just physically overpowered us as kids.  I'm sure she let us CIO.  I'm 32 years old and as of this morning have cut off all ties w/ my mother.  Did A lead to B?  I don't know.  But I'm not willing to take the chance.  On the other hand, perhaps her behavior was just "indicative" of her mothering mindset and it just evolved as we grew up into other terrible behaviors.  I don't know.  I don't think motherhood is a "sacrifice" but perhaps if that's how you view it......  Every time I talk to my mom (prior to today, I guess) I'm assured that what I'm doing is the best thing for my son and my family.

Glad to have the AP board to come to for like-minded ladies.  I guess there really wasn't a point here other than to vent.  The email my mom sent me this morning would shock most mothers. 

Re: My mom is insanely selfish, perhaps that's why I'm AP

• I'm sorry to hear about your situation with your mother, it must be extremely painful. I think some people just weren't cut out to be parents but at least you've been able to seperate yourself from her toxic behaviour.
    Nadia Irene 8/13/07 Reid Owen 8/18/09
  • So sorry about what you are going through with your mom:( 

DH did not communicate with his own parents for a few years after some rough things went down between all of us.  

If you feel good about your parenting choices then you can be 100% secure knowing that you are doing what is best in your immediate family and for your LO.  Always know you can lean on others for support when you dont get it from other places!

• Loading the player...
  • I kind of feel the same way.  My mom BRAGGED about letting me CIO for hours as a newborn.  She said she had to because I wouldn't stop crying. She did BF, but had very low supply and stuck to a very strict feed every 3-4 hours schedule (she said feeding more often than that would spoil me and then I would want to eat every hour).  It wasn't until I wasn't gaining weigh that the pedi told her to give me formula.  Gee...I wonder why I cried so much.  don't get me started on her disciplining methods.

We have a very strict mother-daugher relationship....we're not really friends and I don't talk to her about personal issues.  She did stay with us for the first month when DS was born (cultural tradition) and it was so difficult for me.  it  was constantly, "don't feed him yet," "don't look at him, he's fine," "don't pick him up," "don't spoil him"...the entire day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"