Northern California Babies
Options

Baked French Toast?

Have you ever had this or made it? I was considering making a version of this for Easter but wanted to get some opinions about it first. Thanks ladies!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Baked French Toast?

• Options
    Yes, I've made it a few different ways for brunches we have hosted and it's so yummy. And, it can be made ahead so that's a big bonus.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrs.K&C:
    Yes, I've made it a few different ways for brunches we have hosted and it's so yummy. And, it can be made ahead so that's a big bonus.

Can you tell me more? Did you use french bread? And any specific recipe you love?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MMMM. One of my FAVORITES!! Total comfort food. LOVE the Cooking Light recipe (lol, it's actually the only one I've ever tried).
  • Options
    I have a couple in my recipe binder at home, so I don't remember them off hand but I'll try and look them up tonight. I do use french bread, and the last one I made had cream cheese (so kind of a psuedo stuffed french toast recipe) and was drenched in a yummy syrupy mixture. All the recipes I've tried have definitely been on the sweet side, but good.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Made some the other day, delish!
  • Options

I've made the Old Farmer's Almanac recipe for it with the thick cut french toast/texas toast type bread. It was amazing. Super rich, but soooo good.

Here's the recipe.  (I subbed maple syrup where it calls for corn syrup.)

• Options
    I've never made it but I've eaten it and it's awesome!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We love to make french toast casserole for group brunches and will be making it for Easter. It is super easy and can make it ahead of time. We use challah (or brioche) and grand marnier. We make it as a casserole because individual baked french toast pieces dry out more easily, stick to the pan and don't rise as well. 

Generously butter a baking dish.

Tear or cut the bread into 1 inch cubes and arrange in dish.

Whisk 1 cup milk and 4 eggs for each half loaf of challah. (We've found milk is better than cream which makes it heavy and keeps it from rising.)

Add sugar or maple syrup, vanilla extract, grand marnier, spices to custard.

Pour custard over bread in dish.  Push down bread so that each piece is soaked.

Cover and refrigerate.

Bake at 350 or 400? (I'd check this against epicurious recipes) for about 45 minutes until the custard has set.

Cut into squares and serve with grade B maple syrup (more flavor and a little less sweet than grade A). 

• Options

imageMrs.K&C:
    I have a couple in my recipe binder at home, so I don't remember them off hand but I'll try and look them up tonight. I do use french bread, and the last one I made had cream cheese (so kind of a psuedo stuffed french toast recipe) and was drenched in a yummy syrupy mixture. All the recipes I've tried have definitely been on the sweet side, but good.

oh my good this sounds good! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"