1st Trimester
Options

Triplea

I noticed you said your DS was a very late talker. I'm curious, when did he say his first actual word?DS is almost 15 months and still doesn't say one word. He said "up" once, but we can't get him to say it again. He babbles all the time and can understand what we say when we ask him to do something.  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Triplea

• Options

his first actual word was around 18 months.   and he did NOT babble at all.  nothing.  he was silent.

at 18 months he started receiving speech therapy and at 2, he had MAYBE 5 words that we would hear once a month, if that. we would hear about 1 word a week..  maybe, if we were lucky.  other than that SILENCE.

at 2 yrs 3 months we received a new speech therapist, who finally got him to babble.  at 2.5, he had about 20-35 words.  

then after xmas, it exploded.  he has a few hundred words now and 3-5 word sentences.  he still has a very hard time thinking of what to say.  he talks, but if you ask him a question he has a hard time finding his words.  he was diagnosed with apraxia/disapraxia from his speech therapist.

at 15 months, they really can not do much, especially if he is babbling.  at the 18th month speech therapist just tries to get them to mimic sounds.  then at 22 months they use word count.  

It is SOO difficult to go through this.  believe me.  He was 2ryr 4 months before he even said mama.  i cried.  and I had people ask me, if he was mentally retarded, or slow because he did not talk, only smiled at people.  it was awful.  I never ask him to be quiet, even if he is talking while i am on the phone.  :)

if you ever have any questions, ping me.  I know what it is like to have a child who does not talk.

• Options

Thanks! His pedi said if he didn't have one word by 17 months she'd refer us to a therapist. I'm hoping it doesn't come to it, but it's looking more and more like it might.

He was really fast with his motor skills and teeth (10 since August) that we thought he was waiting for a bit. He's been walking for several months now and still no words.

His appointment is on the 15th (15 month appt) I'm sure I'll have questions then!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"