Toddlers: 24 Months+

DH's solution to constant "WHY"s...

One of the many reasons I married DH is because he's an excellent and very involved father.  (my step son is 15 now and DH and I have been together over 10 years)

I promised myself I wouldn't loose my temper when every single response was met with another "why" and I also vowed never to say "because I said so" in response.

But.... if you've got a chain "why"er you know that it becomes exhausting.

I'd gotten to the point where I would just stop repeating myself and ignore the question but then I watched DH pull an awesome trick this weekend:

Situation:  Dylan wanted to go play out front but it was lunch time so DH told him no, not right now.  We'll play outside again after lunch. 

Dylan:  But why?

DH:  because (long winded thorough explanation here).  (it's been a long time since breakfast, your body needs fuel for energy and all the breakfast has already been used so it needs more now, Mommy, Daddy and Jace are hungry and we like to all eat together, etc etc etc.)

Dylan:  But why?

DH:  Well... why do you NOT want to go eat lunch?

Dylan:  Because I want to play

DH:  But WHY?

Dylan:  Because I want to.

Dylan:  Because I want to.

Dylan:   light bulb goes off and he walks to the table tired of being asked why over and over again by Daddy.

It was so cool to watch!

I thought it was genius and it works so well that I thought I'd pass it along! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: DH's solution to constant "WHY"s...

• very clever!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We're not quite there yet, but I'll have to remember this.

I remember going through the 'why phase' with my 16 yo and wanting to poke my eyes out at the time. 

• Great idea!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's AWESOME. 

I can't wait until one of my kids asks DH why the sky is blue.

He's a physicist, so they're going to get a looooong, scientific explanation about light scattering, wavelengths, etc., etc. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • imagelite-bright:

That's AWESOME. 

I can't wait until one of my kids asks DH why the sky is blue.

He's a physicist, so they're going to get a looooong, scientific explanation about light scattering, wavelengths, etc., etc. 

DH is an engineer.  When my 15 yr old asks how almost anything works he ends up getting a much more detailed explanation than he was looking for.

I've tried to coach DH that when his eyes glaze over it's time to shut up but he doesn't quite get it.

Cracked me up to hear him explaining infinity to him at age 8.

Cracked me up even more to hear the 15 yr old telling the toddlers that "infinity and beyond" (Toy Story) is a mathematical impossibility.  He taught them to say "to Eleven and beyond" because it's more practical.

Loads of fun around here with these smarty pants! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"