Attachment Parenting

WTF Facebook comment

"I hope your baby isn't like Owen! He didn't want to come out either! That's why I had to have a c-section the day before my due date!! "

That was posted on my friend's wall tonight.  I don't know the story behind it, but hello, your baby didn't want to come out bc it wasn't ready yet.  Due dates are not eviction dates ppl!

Re: WTF Facebook comment

• what is wrong with people? when I was 2 days overdue somebody wrote on my wall and said "wow, your doctor must have gotten the dates REALLY wrong!"  Don't people realize that all pregnancies are different in length?
  • I was eventually induced, but not until 23 days post EDD.  When I tell people, they tend to freak and think my doctor must have been on drugs or something.  They're always like, "your doctor waited that long!"

And then I end up explaining we planned a homebirth with a midwife, who is used to babies going over EDD and was checking us every other day and felt that the baby was fine and I was fine, so why rush.  Once LO's safety was edging on any threat, we induced with very little PIT and he was born quickly and safely, bc my body was prepared and he was ready to come out.

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't respond to the FB post with my story bc I know what it's like waiting and stories of other moms waiting FOREVER wasn't helpful.
  • I would write back ESTIMATED due date. Extremely dense ditz.
  • imagechristina627:
    I didn't respond to the FB post with my story bc I know what it's like waiting and stories of other moms waiting FOREVER wasn't helpful.

Holy crap! 23 days... that's insanity! Stick out tongue

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Some coworkers acted like I had Ryan soo late, when in all reality he was born at 39 weeks 2 days! People couldn't believe I went so "late". People are weird!

• I was surprised I made it to 38 weeks and once I did everyone started assuming I was late right away. I was 14 days late at the end up we only induced because there were health issues going on. EDD is estimated for a reason.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi!  I don't usually post here, but it's late, DS is asleep, DH is working, and I can't sleep :)

I got a call from the hospital at 8am 6 days before my EDD asking why I hadn't shown up for my induction.  I said "what induction?"  Apparently, my OB had scheduled it and then forgot to tell me, even though I'd repeatedly told her that I wanted to do things naturally.  When I arrived at her office for my regular appointment the next day I was scolded by both the receptionist and OB for "skipping" the induction.  I again asked her why she thought I needed to be induced and she couldn't give me a good reason other than it was "general practice" and that I'd been "full term" since 37 weeks.  She reluctantly agreed to postpone the induction for another week, which ended up being unnecessary because DS was born exactly one day before his EDD.

I still don't understand why she wasn't willing to wait even until the EDD, but I'll definitely be finding a different doctor for baby #2.   

• 23 days past EDD! WOW. I thought I was "late" at a mere 9 days past EDD!
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Ugh, that drives me nuts.  Our LO are warm and comfy inside!  I truly believe that most babies come when they are ready and it isn't something for us to decide.

I was really upset that my doctor wanted me to have a c/s at 39 weeks because of prior uterine surgery.  I requested waiting until I went into labor and then doing an immediate c/s.  My OB said going into labor could be unsafe for my body and thus the baby.  Despite that, I was still upset!

It turned out to be moot.  I had pre-e and went from my 38 week appointment directly to the hospital to deliver ASAP.  The only reason I agreed to it was that my OB told me my body was no longer taking care of the baby and I was putting both of our health at risk to wait.  While I am not at all traumatized, I feel bad that DS didn't get to come whenever he was ready.

• OMG!  What is wrong with people!  In general people, including Dr's are way too quick to induce.  My practice wanted to induce me at 40 weeks just because of the date (which had been moved up before).  I pushed back and we did a BPP sono and saw everything was fine.  We waited a week and did another BPP and then saw reason to induce.  The next day, DS came all on his own.  Patience paid off!
  • As a c-section mom this makes me crazy.  Don't people realize the risks of being induced?  Don't they realize that c-sections are not risk-free? 

Women need to start complaining about this kind of thing.  They need to report it to the hospitals where the doctors have privileges and to the state medical boards.  It is not in line with ACOG practice to induce at EDD.  

And they wonder why some women have stopped trusting OBs and are choosing homebirth midwives???

• imagechristina627:

I was eventually induced, but not until 23 days post EDD.  When I tell people, they tend to freak and think my doctor must have been on drugs or something.  They're always like, "your doctor waited that long!"

And then I end up explaining we planned a homebirth with a midwife, who is used to babies going over EDD and was checking us every other day and felt that the baby was fine and I was fine, so why rush.  Once LO's safety was edging on any threat, we induced with very little PIT and he was born quickly and safely, bc my body was prepared and he was ready to come out.

I was totally willing to go this long but my midwife's office was closed for the holidays and we wanted regular/frequent checkups after 14 days. I would have had to go a week without a check up at over 2 weeks past my due date, so we just weren't comfortable with that. We induced at 12 days pdd instead.

• wow--all of these stories are so fascinating to me.  I would have given my left leg to have made it to my due date.  even 34 weeks would have been fantastic.  if i am insane enough to ever get pregnant again, i will fantasize the whole time about making it full term.  it's a personal vendetta at this point! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"