Adoption

Post-placement home studies

We have been told we will have two one after his 2 month check-up and one after his 4 month check-up. Just wondering what can I expect? I anticipate they will be checking to make sure we're keeping him healthy and happy and safe right?

Re: Post-placement home studies

• Yes, they want to check that the baby is happy, healthy, and safe.  We had our first and our second one already - one more to go.  The first one was talking about our experience at the hospital and contact with our dd's birthmother.  The caseworker also asked us questions about her first month (it was at one month.)  The second meeting was in our home and she visited with us for about an hour (maybe.)  It was very laid back.  She asked us about her doctor appts., had she been sick, what does she like to do, does she sleep well,etc. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The post placement visits are fun!  We loved showing Ben off.  Our agency required 5 post placement follow ups.  We had to do one in our home within the first 6 weeks of having him home.  We had to both be present here.  She asked about his latest check-up, his schedule, what we noticed him doing, how the family was adjusting, etc. The next 3 were done (one a month) over the phone with either of us.  The last one was in our home again.  It was neat to get to tell her all he was doing each month and how great he was growing.  At the last visit, she was there when we fed him and he pooped...LOL! 

Enjoy these visits and show off that baby!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, I didn't think it would be anything to worry over but I'm always less stressed when I know a little bit better what to expect.
  • Pretty much.

We had our first one about a week after DD was placed. The SW had an informal list of questions to ask us about, mainly around what our days were like, who DD had met so far, how she was eating, sleeping, etc.

To be honest, a majority of the time was spent gazing at her and showing off pictures and videos of her. Very laid back.

• We just had our third and final post placement visit a week ago. The visits were really relaxed and enjoyable. Our SW asked about our schedules and how Maddie was doing and how we were adjusting. She also wanted to know about the hospital experience, doctors visits, eating, and sleeping habits/schedules. It was so fun to show how much she was growing and how much we were enjoying parenthood at each visit. We also just chatted a lot about parenthood and our SW had a lot of tips and helpful advice for us as first time parents. All three of our post placements were done at our house and only the first one required both of us to be there, but we both were at all three.

• We had 3 and everyone in the household had to be at all 3 so SW could see how DD acted and reacted to everyone. Ours were short and fun. If we had been to the doctor since last time I would give her the new height & weight. We also had to provide pictures.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"