Pregnant after 35

Ultrasounds every week b/c AMA?

Our MW has recommended we get an ultrasound every week for the last 4 weeks of the pregnancy due to AMA.  I guess studies have shown that women over 35 are more at risk for low amniotic fluid in the last month.  Has anyone else heard this or been told to do this?  It seems like overkill to me but maybe this is common practice.  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ultrasounds every week b/c AMA?

• Not common practice for my OB's practice.  I'm getting one last growth scan next week due to previous issues (I'll be 36w6d) and assuming that looks fine, there won't be any more monitoring.  I have not heard that AMA puts you at higher risk for low AFI - why would that be, I wonder?  GL with the rest of your pregnancy. 
  • I've never heard that.  My last u/s was at 34 weeks...I probably won't get another one unless I hit 42 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Never heard of that.

• Never heard of that either.  I get one next week though, only because my little guy is currently breech.
    Married 5/12/07 Took 3 IUIs and 2 IVFs for our sweet boy He was worth the wait! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have been told already that I will need to have weekly u/s starting at 35 weeks due to other complications, foremost because my two sons were over 9lbs and I now have chronic back issues due to being in a car accident, not because of AMA. They won't let me go to term, as soon as bubs looks cooked and big enough they will induce me.
  • This isn't common practice at my office either.  I had an u/s the week before my c/s, but that was only because I was measuring large and the doctor wanted to check on Logan's weight.  

• AMA does not mean weekly U/S at my doc's office either, and I have never heard of such practice or such risks b/c of age. 
  • I didn't even get any growth ultrasounds with my last pregnancy;  the last U/S I had was in the 20-something week and that was it till we met DD at delivery.  I wouldn't mind some extra ultrasounds since I like seeing baby!
    Eleanor Paige, born 3/27/08 Noah Christopher, born 10/2/10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I haven't heard that from my OB's office.  Although he did say I would be getting a NST but I can't remember when that is.
  • I have never heard of weekly u/s strictly bc of AMA factors.  I had them every week from 20ish weeks on, but there were special circumstances (dx chromosomal anomaly and high fluid levels).  Maybe your dr is just being overly cautious?  GL! 
  • I haven't specifically heard that but I haven't asked either. I'm currently getting an ultrasound at the dr appt which is every 2-3 weeks for me. I will be seeing the dr. every week starting at week 32 I believe and then 2x per week for my last 4-6 weeks. Not sure if they will keep up the practice of all the ultrasounds.
  • I have heard of this but not sure if it is considered common...
  • My MW had the opposite approach. I received only one ultrasound at 19 weeks.

At 41.5 weeks I received another where they determined fluid was low and I had to be induced that night.

• The 40 and over protocol my doctors use is an ultrasound every 4 weeks at the perinatologist's office until 32 weeks and then you go see each dr 1x per week on separate days and each time you go to the peri you get an ultrasound and at the OB for the last 8 weeks the monitor the baby's heart rate for 30 minutes.  They said it's because at age 40 and up there's an increased risk of stillbirth.
  • I'm going in for biophysical profiles and NST starting at 32 weeks but it's b/c of my late loss, not my advanced maternal age.  LOL.  AMA cracks me up every time I think of the phrase.  it's like POOF!  you're considered OLD now. 
    BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • The only AMA protocol of which I was advised at my practice is weekly non-stress tests starting at 36 weeks.  My last u/s was at 20 weeks and I won't have another unless I go overdue (again) to check fluid level (barring any unforeseen complications).
  • That's not the case at my OB office either, but I certainly wouldn't say no if it meant I got more peeks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"