Breastfeeding

Nipple Confusion Myth?

I have not heard of a baby that has had this.  Is this just a big myth to try to get moms to not give their babies a bottle?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nipple Confusion Myth?

• I don't think its a myth as much as its just not that common. If your baby is very very very picky, and hasn't yet figured out that pretty much anything it sucks on has food in it, then it can have a bit of confusion.

I do think that moms need a push to get their baby on the nipple that very first time, kwim?  it can be a bit nerve wracking  - "I am really gonna put her mouth there?!"

• I've thought about this too, and I wonder if it just causes more trouble.  It seems more people have problems with their baby not taking from a bottle after the breast than opposite. I think people wait too long to introduce a bottle because of this myth.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think, like anything, there are some babies who may have this issue. But generally, I think it's pretty rare. We introduced a bottle for the first time this weekend, and Eli sucked it down no problem then went right back to nursing at the next feeding.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not a myth at all...at least not in my case.  DS had such a bad latch from drinking from a bottle nipple that I was cracked and bleeding and in pain and ended up with mastitis...all before DS was 4 months old.  We had to take all nipples away except for mine in order to make it right...  Then, he never took a bottle again.  :(  Yea, definitely not a myth.
  • I think it's a myth to people who haven't had it happen to their babies.  DS couldn't latch in the beginning because of tongue tie.  Once that was fixed, he was so used to the bottle nipples and nipple shield that he could not figure out how to latch onto my nipple.  With bottle nipples, the tongue goes farther in the back of the mouth and with nursing, the tongue needs to be down covering the lower gums.  DS couldn't figure this out and it cause a lot of pain for me.  By doing some tongue exercises with putting my finger in his mouth, we were eventually able to work it out.  But during that time, we had to ditch all bottles and pacifiers.  I think it's really funny when people say its a myth just because it hasn't happened to them.  Every baby is different.

There is a great illustration of what I'm trying to explain in Sears' The Breastfeeding Book.

• imageMrsGhappilyeverafter:

I think it's a myth to people who haven't had it happen to their babies.  DS couldn't latch in the beginning because of tongue tie.  Once that was fixed, he was so used to the bottle nipples and nipple shield that he could not figure out how to latch onto my nipple.  With bottle nipples, the tongue goes farther in the back of the mouth and with nursing, the tongue needs to be down covering the lower gums.  DS couldn't figure this out and it cause a lot of pain for me.  By doing some tongue exercises with putting my finger in his mouth, we were eventually able to work it out.  But during that time, we had to ditch all bottles and pacifiers.  I think it's really funny when people say its a myth just because it hasn't happened to them.  Every baby is different.

There is a great illustration of what I'm trying to explain in Sears' The Breastfeeding Book.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but a lot of people in 3rd tri are so scared about pacifiers and bottles if they want to bf and you are the first person that I have heard of that has had a LO with nipple confusion.

• I want to make a correction/addition to my post, lol. I do, however, think it's different for babies that weren't able to nurse first (NICU, eating problems, etc.). I wanted to to put that in the original and forgot. I do think the first day or two are really important. I guess I was thinking about people not wanting to give baby a bottle until the first month that is recommended.
  • No it is NOT a myth. DS suffered from nipple confusion as a newborn because he was given bottles in the NICU since my milk had not come in yet.  This let to painful improper latching and we had to work on him re-learning how to latch properly for 2 weeks.
  • My baby was a preemie and has had a pacifier while getting fed by tube (to help him learn the suck, swallow, breath coordination), then he was bottle fed.  Then we tried breastfeeding, which he has had no problems with except his mouth is too small to latch so we use a nipple shield.  He has had NO problems with any of those transitions.  One of our NICU nurses said she thought nipple confusion was something lactation consultants made up for the reason you suggest.  I am inclined to agree or at least to think it's not as common as lc's and doctors would like us all to believe.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"