Blended Families

Easter Baskets

Do you do baskets from the Easter Bunny and Santa gifts at both houses?Even if the kids won't actually be with you on Easter/Christmas?  BF and I always have for DD, but we split every major holiday so DD is in both houses on each holiday. Up until this year BM and DH have done the same.

This year BM wants to stick to the CO, which says the kids alternate holidays and she is keeping them for Easter. DH doesn't see any sense in putting together baskets from "the bunny" for them at our house since we won't have them again until Thursday. This is what my mom and dad did for my brother and sister after their divorce (whoever had them Easter morning did the basket) so they both agree with him.

I can kind of see their point, but I still feel like maybe we should do something for them even if it is just a small gift from us. DH argues that wouldn't be fair to DD since we won't get her anything from us. FWIW, we had a huge egg hunt for all of the kids and dyed eggs this past weekend so we still did "Easter stuff" with the boys. What do you all think and do in your own homes?

Re: Easter Baskets

• I think that you should make them both Easter baskets... and then when your SKs come to your house on Thursday, they will see that the Easter Bunny was there and left them a gift.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our SS will be with us Easter morning, then go to his mom's at 10. If we wouldn't have had him, we would have done all of our Easter stuff last weekend, or the last time we had him. (the way our custody is worked out, though, we usually have it pretty easy with holidays, I feel so bad for otehrs who have such complicated situations). We will have an easter basket for him, and I'm sure his mom will have one for him when he goes over there, although I can't say for sure b/c we limit as much conversation with her as we can. We don't share unnecessary info with her. If you guys already did an Easter thing last weekend, than I would consider that your Easter celebration and leave it at that. Just b/c you don't do it on the day, doesn't mean it's any less special. If you want to do easter baskets still, I don't think it hurts. Just b/c they get it a few days late doesn't make it less special. They will probably like to get baskets. Probably should have done it last weekend when you did everything else though and just said 'the easter bunny knew you were going to be with your mom, so he came to our house early!' but yea.

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Loading the player...
  • Ds will be gone for Easter & we do not plan on doing anything additional at our house when he comes back. When you think about it.....why would we? Same goes for Santa.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We do stuff for both kids, even if it is not our weekend. 
  • We are doing an easter basket for SD (6) even though she'll be at BM's. We get her the day after easter anyways. I think it's mainly for us Stick out tongue We want to be able to participate in the holiday with SD. DH was deployed last year so we didn't see SD over easter and she'll be at BM's this year, but we still want to celebrate with her. So yes, the easter bunny will be making a stop at our house this year. And Santa did as well last year even though we were all out of town and SD was with BM Christmas morning. We tell SD that the bunny or Santa or whoever, stops at evey kid's house, some kid's just happen to have two houses.
  • I would still do baskets for them, we always did whether or not the kids were with us on that holiday. 
  • I would do baskets anyway.  Let them get them early or late...and maybe leave a "note" from the bunny saying he knew they wouldn't be there for Easter.  That's what we used to do with the Bunny & Santa
    accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • I'm actually trying to figure out what I have done in the past. Last year, we had all the kids for Easter. This year, they will all be at the other parent's house but DD will come home that evening. I can't remember if I made them all baskets before or not when we didn't have them. DH can't remember either. He thinks we should skip out all together.

At Christmas, Santa visits both houses.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• BM has the SKs Easter morning and Christmas morning.  We do Santa and the Easter bunny in the afternoon when they come back.  But I'm not sure I want to keep doing this when we have kids of our own.  The SKs will probably be too old for the Easter bunny by then anyway, but I wonder about Christmas gifts.  Is it fair that the SKs get twice as many gifts as our own theoretical children?  Or am I being ridiculous?  Either way, thanks for posting this.
  • imageskyblonde:
    BM has the SKs Easter morning and Christmas morning.  We do Santa and the Easter bunny in the afternoon when they come back.  But I'm not sure I want to keep doing this when we have kids of our own.  The SKs will probably be too old for the Easter bunny by then anyway, but I wonder about Christmas gifts.  Is it fair that the SKs get twice as many gifts as our own theoretical children?  Or am I being ridiculous?  Either way, thanks for posting this.

This brings up a whole new debate, we need a new thread if we are gonna talk about 'how many presents' thing. Some people have very strong opinions! lol

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • My kids are 17,16, and 2 and they will all get easter baskets on Sunday morning before the oldest two have to ge to their dad's. If they are gone on a holiday we celebrate the weekend before because all get togethers are at my house and I refuse to have a party at my house and my kids are not there. I tried once and cried the whole time.
  • I would do easter baskets for both SD and DD every year no matter where they are at for the holiday.
  • imagekaratechrissy:

imageskyblonde:
    BM has the SKs Easter morning and Christmas morning.  We do Santa and the Easter bunny in the afternoon when they come back.  But I'm not sure I want to keep doing this when we have kids of our own.  The SKs will probably be too old for the Easter bunny by then anyway, but I wonder about Christmas gifts.  Is it fair that the SKs get twice as many gifts as our own theoretical children?  Or am I being ridiculous?  Either way, thanks for posting this.

This brings up a whole new debate, we need a new thread if we are gonna talk about 'how many presents' thing. Some people have very strong opinions! lol

That does pose a good question. I never really thought about keeping it equal once I have kids with DH. Maybe some families change things around once more children are added to the mix, but that could get confusing too! lol

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 11/23/10 MMC @ 7w3d Discovered @ 10w2d D&C 1/12/11

BFP 7/6/11 Our Lucky Charm born 3/5/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"