Parenting after 35

First Ambulance Ride :(

Last night, before we left my in-laws' home where we were having the Passover Seder, my MIL was holding Aaron as DH and I were packing up?his sister brought more baby clothes for DS?and all of a sudden I heard the most AWFUL shrieking.

Apparently when my MIL wasn't looking, my SIL put a cup of hot coffee in front of her at the table and Aaron pulled the tablecloth and scalding hot (black) coffee poured on his left leg and foot. He was not wearing socks but was wearing pants.

My SIL got the pants off and ran him to the kitchen where we ran his leg under cold water.  His foot began to blister and we called 911.

The EMTs agreed he needed to go to the hospital (a 2nd degree burn) so DH loaded Aaron's carseat in the ambulance and I went with him?DH followed.  We got to the local hospital (no burn unit) because it was contained to his foot.

He was hysterical crying the entire time. It was so awful  The EMT kept the oxygen near him (from the tube, the mask scared him) and that helped a bit.

I actually knew one of the medical techs (from his day job) and the ER pedi was so good.  They basically just put a cream on it and wrapped his foot (2nd degree burn) and leg (bad 1st degree) and gave me a sleeve to cover it.  We're going to the good burn unit today.

Before we left, they gave Aaron Motrin and Tylenol with Codeine.  He slept for the ride home and when we got into our apt. he was actually awake and pretty cheerful.  He slept OK, only waking up once when his pacifier came out and I didn't have to give him more painkillers.

I slept terribly, of course.

Will update after we go to the burn unit. Need to call at 9 am to make the appointment?they'll see us today.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!

Re: First Ambulance Ride :(

• Oh my gosh, Robyn. Poor sweet Aaron. I feel so sad for him (and you!). I am so sorry this happened.
  • Oh my GOSH how terrifying!  I am so glad his foot and leg got quick treatment, and that he seems okay.  I hope he heals quickly!

How awful, though.  Scary, scary, scary... 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh no!  I'm so sorry that this happened to Aaron.  Poor boy.

Something similar happened to me as a toddler.  My Great Aunt (who never had children) had a cup of super hot coffee. I went running up to her (I was about 2 years old).  Evidently, the coffee got dumped down my entire chest.

I hope that the docs at the burn unit are able to help and to ensure that Aaron heals perfectly.

Take care of yourself, mama.  Its been a rough time for you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh Robyn, how awful. I can't imagine anything worse than seeing LO in pain. Poor, poor Aaron. I'm glad he was feeling better by later in the evening though. I hope you get a good report at the burn unit.
  • OMG how scary!!! :(  Your poor baby! 

Will be sending good vibes your way!

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh no!  Poor sweet Aaron!!  That is so scary!  Robyn, please update us as soon as you get back from the burn unit.  Hugs and prayers go with you both!
  • Oh Robyn I am so sorry. I am tearing up reading this. I hope everything goes ok today. Will look for your update

• Ohn how awful, so sorry poor little aaron, I hope he feels better soon, Good luck today!!
  • OMG! Things can just happen in the blink of an eye. I'm so sorry but I'm relieved to hear that the little pumpkin is doing okay. Hang in there.
  • Oh no - how terrible! I am so sorry. Poor Aaron, and poor Robyn! I hope everything turns out well. I can't even imagine...
  • imageml0904:

Oh Robyn I am so sorry. I am tearing up reading this. I hope everything goes ok today. Will look for your update

This exactly!  Oh my goodness - my heart just aches for little Aaron.  Please keep us updated and give him extra hugs from his bumpie aunties.

• OH NO!  Poor baby!  Your SIL/MIL must feel so badly, too!

I had a 2nd degree burn once, and as much as it hurt, it did heal pretty quickly...the plus side is that babies heal so much faster than we do that he'll be back to perfect before you know it....but YOU'LL be the one still feeling the pain!

Hang in there....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh sh*t!  Poor Aaron.  I am so sorry Robyn.
  • Oh nononono! Poor, poor Aaron! And poor you! This makes me want to cry for you guys.

I really hope all goes well at the burn unit. I'll be thinking of you guys today.

Let us know what happens!!!

• Ohh, poor little Aaron!! I can't imagine that smiling little guy in such pain! Keep us posted on how he is doing.
  • Oh sweetie....I hope Aaron is doing well. I hope you and DH are doing well also!! Oh man...

Please keep us posted.

• Oh, I am so sorry!!! I hope the cream and meds helped and he feels better today.
  • Oh Robyn, I am so sorry!!

I am sure your family felt terrible!! Kisses to our sweet Aaron today!!

• How scary! I hope Aaron recovers well. Keep us updated.
  • Oh my goodness! how completely terrifying! I hope your little man feels better soon.
  • He's actually doing OK and the appt, is at 2:45, so we're leaving in about 20 minutes or so.  DH took the day off, so I won't be alone.

DH is so mad at his mom?irrationally so?and my MIL is distraught. I don't blame her.  She didn't realize my SIL put the coffee down and I know this could happen at anytime.

Aaron has slept a lot but is still eating like a champ. 

Of course the burn center is not actually part of the hospital so it's out of network and we'll be paying out of pocket (along with the ER $100 copay). But it's the best in the area so we're going there.

Hopefully there won't be much of a scar.

• Oh Robyn!! That must have been awful for everyone - most of all you and poor Aaron :( I hope everything heals just fine with no problems. Please do keep us posted.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
  • OMG, my stomach turne reading that! Poor little Aaron. Poor Robyn! Gosh that is just terrifying & horrible. I pray he recovers quickly. I am sure your SIL must feel like crap!
  • imagerobynlesley:

my SIL put a cup of hot coffee in front of her at the table and Aaron pulled the tablecloth and scalding hot (black) coffee poured on his left leg and foot.

First, I am glad to hear Aaron is doing as well as he is. Second, irrational or not, I'd be FURIOUS that this happened. Angry

I realize that doesn't change the outcome.

I feel awful for Aaron. I am wishing him (and you!) a speedy recovery!

Robby's Blog

Momma Bear
    Big - 1 year old
    Bigger - 6 years old
    Biggest - 13 years old

• imagemama.bear:

First, I am glad to hear Aaron is doing as well as he is. Second, irrational or not, I'd be FURIOUS that this happened. Angry

This exactly.  You are being very gracious, because it sounds like you are not angry with MIL and SIL right now. . .

I hope Aaron's appointment goes well today, and that he recovers quickly.  Please let us know what they say at the burn unit.  Left Hug

• PeskyPesky member
    Poor baby!!!!  I hope he is doing better.  FWIW, my brother got scalded with hot coffee as a toddler and is fine today -- no scars at all!

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Oh those poor little piggies!  Hopefully he's young enough that he'll have no memory of this and won't be scared at your MIL's house, etc.   The good thing is that second degree burns heal very quickly and there should be no lasting effects.

Hugs!

• Oh my god! How scary!  Glad to hear Aaron is taking things well.  Sending tons of good thoughts and hugs you way.
    DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Get well soon, Sweet Pea!
  • imageKristelRobin:
    imagemama.bear:

This exactly.  You are being very gracious, because it sounds like you are not angry with MIL and SIL right now. . .

I hope Aaron's appointment goes well today, and that he recovers quickly.  Please let us know what they say at the burn unit.  Left Hug

My DH was screaming at his mom, who was so upset. I just don't see the point because I know how easily accidents happen. I don't want my DH to NOT talk to his mom or let her care for Aaron because of this, because she is responsible and I know she didn't mean for this to happen.

---

And as an update: Aaron is doing really well.  We have a Rx for a topical antibiotic burn ointment (which I may be allergic to) and will be changing the dressing once daily.  We go back next Tuesday before we head up to Rhode Island for my birthday trip.

It should heal within 2-3 weeks and the new skin will be bright pink and it will take about 2-3 months to fade.

• Robyn, I am so glad he is doing well.
  • OMG your post makes me feel sick and want to cry. ?Only b/c I know how worried and scared and upset I would be. ?I will keep Aaron in my prayers for safe healing and smooth sailing through all of this. He sounds like a happy and brave little guy!
  • OMG! Robyn, i'm sorry i'm late to this post, but OMG!  your poor little baby, you all must have been so terrified.  I am very glad he's sleeping and eating well, baby's are built incredibly tough, I know we don't realize it but it's true, but still my heart aches for your family.  FWIW - I had a 2nd degree burn on my entire left hand and fingers and it healed extremely well.  While it was awful to look at for weeks, it looks like it never happened now, no scars, nothing ... well actually the skin is nicer than my right hand.  I'm sure the same will be for your LO.   I'm sending lots of hugs and prayers your way for a speedy recovery.
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh Robyn, I'm so sorry to hear this.  I'm catching up on my bumping and just read your story.  I hope Aaron is doing better...  
  • He's doing remarkably well.  We had our follow-up at the burn unit last Tuesday and don't have to go back!

The bandages are off and I'm only putting some vaseline on his foot to keep it from chafing and to keep the moisture in. It looks really good, considering. I'm hopeful there will be no scarring.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"