Baby Showers
Options

What's your take on Grandmother showers?

My MIL just informed me that her friends are throwing her one.  I wasn't quite sure how to respond. 

Re: What's your take on Grandmother showers?

• Options
    I think they're ridiculous.
  • Options
    I think it is kind of fun that her friends are sharing in her joy that she is becoming a grandmother. It does not affect you in the least, so let her and her friends have some fun with it!
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    While I think they are ridiculous too, at the same time, it really doesn't have any affect on you.  Roll your eyes privately and let her have her fun.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I think it depends on how it's done how appropriate it is.  If it's some big mega affair inviting everyone the grandmother knows (trending like a first baby shower for a mom), I think it's ridiculous and AWish.  If it's a small get-together of close friends who are all pitching in to have a little party to celebrate the new grandma, I think it's fine.  My mother's work friends did one, and my MIL's friends did a small one, as well...neither had decorations or even invitations, there wasn't even a real 'host' since the fewer than a dozen people involved were all in on it as a potluck, and there was no expectation of expensive gifts (most people bought a book for the grandma to read to LO, or an outfit).  It was just a chance for them to be honored as new grandma's, and I think that's great.

• Options

imagekrissyh21:
    I think it is kind of fun that her friends are sharing in her joy that she is becoming a grandmother. It does not affect you in the least, so let her and her friends have some fun with it!

I agree.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think that they are ridicules. The idea of a shower is to shower the mommy to be with the things that she needs for her LO. What exactly is it that a grandmother needs? Nothing. I think that a Grandmother shower is just another excuse for moms to be crazy and delusional.
  • Options
    We threw one for our boss. Grandma will need things like a PNP, diapers, wipes, toys, clothes. Especially if LO will be visiting GM often.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • Options

imageEastCoastBride:
    While I think they are ridiculous too, at the same time, it really doesn't have any affect on you.  Roll your eyes privately and let her have her fun.

THIS!!  I tend to think as long as it doesn't reflect on you and ppl aren't feeling forced into multiple gifts I wouldn't worry about it.

• Options
    Never heard of one.  Some showers I've been to, there have been a some folks who have bought something sweet and small for the grandma-to-be, and I think that's appropriate.  A full on shower seems ridiculous.  But, if it's a get together, esp. maybe something hosted by the grandma herself and without gifts, just celebrating "becoming a grandma," that seems ok, and a fun way for the older ladies to celebrate.  I just assume for me, that if someone throws me a shower and asks me about who I want to invite, I would include my mother's closest friends too, so they can participate.  (The ones I know, anyway.  Some of them are practically family.)  Bridal shower was the same way--those ladies were there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with most posters that they're pretty eye-rolling inducing.  But on the bright side...at least she'll have some up-to-date stuff.  So you won't have to worry about your kid sleeping in your husband's 30 year old unsafe playpen while visiting grandma!
  • Options
     We live approx. three hours away from them and DH and I haven't been to visit them at their home in nearly two years.  They either come visit us here or we see them about three times a year at their beach house, so it's not like baby will be staying over at Grandma's.  She even added in "so if there's anything y'all need..."  Well yea!  WE need everything and that's why we registered.  Like pp said what does she need?  I just hope I'm not duped into attending this thing. 
  • Options
    have never heard of one...is this a regional thing? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

oh...i totally would assume it's just for the G-2-B and her friends, not you to go to.  That'd be weird.  Like, hi, it's really about YOU giving birth, but let's have a party for your DH's mom, because...why? 

I know that my mom did buy stuff for her house for my niece to be in--a high chair, some toys, etc.  Not too much--and since she's the grandma, she bought it herself, as part of "spoiling the grandchild."  Nobody bought her the stuff.  Having a shower and giving the grandmother anything beyond a picture album or a bib (and lots of well wishes) seems really weird to me. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagexoxoLLL:
     We live approx. three hours away from them and DH and I haven't been to visit them at their home in nearly two years.  They either come visit us here or we see them about three times a year at their beach house, so it's not like baby will be staying over at Grandma's.  She even added in "so if there's anything y'all need..."  Well yea!  WE need everything and that's why we registered.  Like pp said what does she need?  I just hope I'm not duped into attending this thing. 

I think it's weird and would make me feel awkward.  YOU and your DH are the one's having the baby.  Can't her friends get together for something and send YOU gifts off your registry if there are gifts involved?  I wouldn't attend her shower.  How weird would it be for you to sit on the side and watch her get all the attention etc when you are the pg one?  Doesn't seem right.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagexoxoLLL:

I don't get the "so if there's anything you need" comment.  Like I said, the showers that were done for my mother and MIL (who live out of state, which I think is part of the reason their close friends wanted to do something, since they wouldn't be able to attend my shower and weren't able to be as engaged in the 'baby excitement') were very small, no registry or anything like that.  Most people just gave a book or an outfit, and the grandmother's passed them along to us.  I wouldn't expect that you would attend, that seems weird.

• Options
    ctanactana member

I never heard of such a thing. 

When will the gravy train of showers end? It's so out of hand. Since when is it the responsibility of others to outfit the grandmother's house with necessities?  It's not even the responsibility of others to outfit the PARENTS house with necessities.  IF the grandmother needs stuff to take care of junior that is what a good consignment shop is for.  Please people, we have got to stop this craziness.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagekiyote72:
    have never heard of one...is this a regional thing? 

Glad to know that I am not the only one who has never heard of this!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Hmmmm I am not praying my MIL and her friends never heard of such a thing just like I hadnt.  My MIL would have one for sure, because this pregnancy is all about her(so she thinks).  She even told me that she may just buy some clothes she likes so she can change baby when she babysits since I wont let her wear something covered in lace and ruffles.  Good Luck with this!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"