TTC after 35

Anyone on thyroid medication?

I'm on levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. I was just switched to it after being on Armour for a few years, and I'm having bad side effects from it. Are any of you out there on anything? What kind of symptoms do you have? I have to stay on something to keep my fertility up.

Re: Anyone on thyroid medication?

• Hi - I was just diagnosed with an elevated thyroid level and I've been on levothyroxine for a couple of weeks.  They are going to check my blood levels next week to see if it is the right dosage, or if they need to up it.

I have not had any side effects that I know of, but I'm only on 50 mg. a day.

What are the side effects that you are having?  I hope they get better soon.

Sorry I couldn't offer more insight, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just started taking Armour a few months ago.  Why did you switch?  I have absolutely no side effects.  I used to take Synthroid, but I don't recall having any side effects from that either.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My Endo and GP both said Armour is "flakey" as far as the dosage because it's not synthetically made. At this point I don't care, I'm asking him to switch me back to Armour or one of the other natural ones. I'm having sever behind the eyes headaches that I wake up with and get progressively worse during the day, especially when I'm at work. I also just started having dizziness and nausea that comes and goes, and I thought maybe it was early pregnancy symptoms but after doing some online research it turns out those are common issues people have with the Levothryoxine. I'm calling my Endo today, I'm so sick of this headache!! :)
  • I'm on Synthroid daily and I don't have any effects.  I do get a lot of headaches but that has always been the case and is the same before and after I started on Synthroid.
  • I have been battling thyroid conditions most of my life, with my 1st diagnosis at age 11. I have my thyroid removed when I was 16. I am currently on Synthroid and 16 weeks pregnant. Be sure to request both the T4 and the TSH blood tests when getting your workup. The two tests together give a better picture of where your thyroid levels are. If you are in the normal range, you are good to go, but be sure to get your thyroid tested periodically during your pregnancy. Any good OB/GYN will insist on checking your thyroid levels anyway.

My biggest suggestion is to request the real name brand Synthroid, and decline the levothyroxine. It maybe more expensive, but it is so worth it. It is supposidly the generic form of Synthroid. Many people have adverse reactions to it. Recently, my pharmacy switched mine and I didn't notice. Within three weeks I bottomed out and was at the doctors office feeling like I was going to die - literately.  Couldn't get out of bed, was burning up, hair was falling out, couldn't go to the bathroom, skin on my hands and feet were cracking so bad they were bleeding, etc.  My thyroid level had bottomed out under 10 even though I was taking the medication.  My doc really couldn't explain exactly why it didn't work as well, but he was very upset with the pharmacy for switching it when my prescription clearly states Synthroid brand name only.  He called the levothyroxine drug a few choice names, crap being one of them.  Most generics are almost the exact equivalent of the brand drug, but for some reason, that is not the case with these thyroid meds and many people have bad reactions from it or it just doesn't work as well. I have NEVER had any type of adverse reaction from Synthroid and I've been on it since I was 16 (I'm 38). 

What kind of adverse symptions are you having?  Are you jittery or lathargic?  Dry hair, dry skin, hair falling out?  Bad constipation?  Any of these adverse reactions could just mean that you are either getting too much or not enough of the drug.  I suggest you have a T4 & TSH workup, request the brand name Synthroid (get off the crap!) and give it 30 days before testing again.  Once you understand the small tell-tell signs of your thyroid levels not being normal, you can ask for a T4/TSH workup yourself. Good luck!

• Marcy

My dr switched me from the Armour because it's always on back order and hard to get. It's one of like two or three thyroid meds that are natural and not synthetically made. Plus, my endo said he didn't like to use it because he says it's harder to get an exact dose. Well this morning I called my OB/GYN and asked if he could suggest anything and he said he knew Armour was on back order all the time, so he suggested going to a Compound Pharmacy, which I didn't even know existed. Apparently they will mix meds for you at the pharmacy. I looked online and found one in my area. They can make me a duplicate of Armour at the pharmacy, using the same ingredients!! I called my endo, he has to send me a prescription to the pharmacy, I'm so happy. I'm so tired of feeling like crap. I'm having dizzy spells, severe nausea and vertigo, and my heart will start beating really fast when this happens. I'm on a low dosage so my dr doesn't think it's overdose symptoms.

When I was first diagnose hypo years ago, Synthroid was the first medication they tried and I ended up in the emergency room with vertigo three days later. It was so bad I couldn't walk or stand up. My endo says that some people just can't tolerate the synthetics.

• Marcy,

I forgot to tell you thank you for all the info. It's nice to talk to someone who understands this mess.   :)

• I have horrible reactions to levothyroxine and synthroid (name brand).

I can only take Armour Thyroid. 

Its been super hard to find, so I finally located a compounding pharmacy that can make it for me.

My DH was switched from synthroid to levothryoxine about 3 months ago and is having problems.  He's going back to name brand synthroid.  

In my limited research on thyroid meds, the generic brands are NOT the same as name brand and do have variations. 

Good luck!

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"