North Carolina Babies
Options

Changing area questions

I'm looking for some advice on diaper-changing organization.  Rather than purchase a changing table, we are just thinking of using a dresser and changing the baby on top of that.  But I'm wondering a) how many actually use their designated changing table/area on a regular basis to change diapers (vs storage, lol), and b) what is the best way to have it set up?  Do you just purchase one of those 2- or 4-sided changing pads and plop that on top, or is there something more you're supposed to do?  I'm thinking of installing shelves above the dresser for additional storage (we plan to CD).  What's your CD setup like?

Also, we won't be running upstairs every time he needs a diaper change, so what items do you recommend having downstairs?  TIA!

Re: Changing area questions

• Options

I have a traditional changing station upstairs that I use maybe 2 times a day (morning diaper change and morning nap change), and I SAH. I usually only need the diapers and wipes from up there, but I do have a drawer with other stuff in it, like diaper cream, thermometer, hair brush, etc.  If you were just to get a dresser, you can put a contoured changing pad on it and diaper and wipes in a basket or organizer.

Downstairs I keep this. And I use a large lap pad to lay her down on or I use the mat that the caddy came with.  I LOVE this thing, I take it with us every time we travel, the little drawer can hold nasal spray, bulb syringe, diaper cream and a hair brush with no issues.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    When we're upstairs, we change her on the dresser (with a changing pad). When we're downstairs, we change her on the pack-n-play (has an attachment for it).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a "diaper box".  Basically a rubbermaid box with a handle on the lid where we keep diapers, wipes, cream, and the thermometer that we use for rectal temp checks.  This way I can grab the box and use it where ever I am (or if I'm not near it I can ask the girls to go grab it for me).  This is also very handy when its time to go out of town...grab the box and go and I know I have everything I need, plus it has a lid, so nothing spills out. 
  • Options

We don't CD, but we have a long dresser with changing pad attached on top in Holly's nursery. We still use it a few times every day. It's where we not only change her diaper, but also dress her, put lotion on her, etc. Here's a pic of our setup:

I laugh now that I look at how neat and organized it is, and at the absence of a million toys and books scarttered around it! LOL! We have a clothes hamper where the natural colored basket is now, and a Diaper Champ pail beside that. And there is a larger basket for diapers & stuff in the pace of the small one in this pic. In it, we have diapers, lotion, hand sanitizer, diaper cream, q-tips, etc. There is also now an alarm clock and box of wipes in between the pad & basket. But othwerwise, it looks the same. It's been a good setup for us, and I don't find that I use it for anything other than it's intended purpose.

Downstairs, we still have a PNP set up with the changing pad "attachment." She hasn't met the 25lb weigth limit yet, so we keep on using it. I think we're on our last leg with it though--she's getting too tall. Once we're done with it, we'll just change her on the floor, I assume--and will just keep maybe a changing pad (the smaller ones that go in your diaper bag), and diapers, wipes, diaper cream, and hand sanitizer in a little caddy downstairs.

HTH!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    Thanks ladies, that helps!  Thanks for the pic Hughes - your setup is pretty much what I have in mind, but with shelves above.
  • Options
    We have a changing pad on top of his dresser and if we are upstairs that is where we change him. In the beginning we had the pnp downstairs and changed him on that if we were downstairs. Now I keep a small rubbermaid tub with diaper changing supplies under our coffee table and I just whip that out and change him on the floor if I am downstairs. HTH!
  • Options

Our setup is like Hughes', and we just use the top drawer of the dresser for his CDs.  Shelves would be nice, but I was afraid he or I would bonk our head on them.  We have a basket on top of the dresser for wipes and supplies, but the diapers themselves are in the top drawer.  It's worked well for us. 

We do alot of diaper changes upstairs, but when we do them downstairs, I just lay him on the floor.  I usually have some diapers on the line or waiting to be taken upstairs that I can use.  We don't have anything "official" for diaper changes downstairs.  If I need wipes, I grab the ones out of my bag.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We had a dresser/changing table combo w/ the changing pad on there ... and I can honestly say we've used it ZERO times. Everytime we were upstairs, we changed her on our bed (we laid a blanket underneath her to prevent accidents going on our sheets). When we were downstairs, we had a PNP w/ the changing table in it - set up. We probably took that down around 4-5 months? Then we always walked upstairs. I remember my SIL telling me that they do that, b/c it provides even a tad bit more exercise to walk up the steps everytime you have to change. And honestly - I didn't find it to be a problem at all!
  • Options
    I'm with Mikey on the shelf thing, it would be OK at first, but once they get mobile I see disaster ahead. Jocelyn is like a wild woman while changing her diaper and I can see her hitting her head or trying to get to the shelf.
  • Options

We have a long dresser with a changing pad on top.  Wipes and so forth are kept on the dresser in a basket.  I only change the girls upstairs in their rooms.  I use CDs and keep them in a diaper stacker hanging near the changing table.  Before Claire, I kept the diaper pail in the nusery (sealed of course) but now that both girls are in CDs, I keep the diaper pail in the bathroom closet between their two rooms. 

Natalie's set up is now different since she is older.  We change her on a changing pad that is on the floor in her closet -- her closet had so much storage space that it didn't make sense to get another dresser just to put a changing pad on it given she'll hopefully be potty trained soon.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have a dresser and put the changing pad (two sides) on top. We also have a basket at the end of the dresser with lotion, wipes, etc.  Her diapers are kept in the first drawer and I keep both sposies and CDs in there.  Her CD pail is on the ground to the left of the dresser beside the diaper genie (we CD and use sposies).  Our house is all on one level so we use that changing table in her room a LOT.  We do have a PNP with a changing table which we keep upstairs in our bonus room (the only 2nd floor room).
  • Options

Thanks for everyone's help.  It's hard to think of the logistics when you haven't been there before, lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"