Trying to Get Pregnant

Advil and TTC- I had no idea

So I just found out that Advil or any other non steroidal anti inflammatory drug class like aspirin, excedrin, motrin, aleve etc. can prevent you from concieving. I knew these were bad when pregnant but not when TTC. Hmm. I guess you learn new things every day.

Started TTC Aug '09
Me: 24, HSG=clear, normal hormone levels, regular cycles, insulin resistance
DH: 25, SA normal
Dx Unexplained Infertility Oct '11
3 cycles of Clomid w/ TI =BFN
IUI#1 Jan. 23 w/ Clomid =BFN
IUI#2 Feb. 19 w/ Clomid =BFN
IUI#3 Mar. 16 w/ Clomid= Apr. 1 beta=8, very faint BFP w/ ClearBlue test...Apr. 2 @ 9pm-BFN w/ ClearBlue...Apr. 3- spotting and cramping...Apr. 5, confirmed c/p.
IUI#4 May. 16 w/ Clomid =BFN
IUI#5 Jun. 11 w/ Clomid =BFN
IUI#6 Jul. 6 w/ Gonal-F 75units + Ovidrel =BFN
TI w/ Gonal-F 75units + Ovidrel =BFN
IUI#7 Aug. 28 w/ Gonal-F 125units + Ovidrel =BFN
Break cycle=BFN
IUI#8 Oct. 20 w/ Gonal-F 125units + Ovidrel + Progesterone =BFN
IUI#9 Nov. 13 w/ Gonal-F 150units + Ovidrel + Acupuncture + Progesterone =BFN
IVF#1-- ER Mar. 3: 9R, 7M, 7F. ET scheduled for Mar. 8

A CACKLE A DAY

Re: Advil and TTC- I had no idea

• Where did you find this information?

I know you aren't supposed to take NSAIDs when you have already conceived, but can't figure out how they could prevent conception.

• Huh...never heard of that, but I'm allergic to them so I never take them...hope no one discovers Tylenol is bad or I'm in trouble!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemander274:

Where did you find this information?

I know you aren't supposed to take NSAIDs when you have already conceived, but can't figure out how they could prevent conception.

I read it on www.ovulation-calculator.com online community.

One post read:

"From the Organization of Teratology Information
    www.OTISpregnancy.org.

"Two studies have found an increased
    risk of miscarriage with the use of NSAIDs
    such as ibuprofen early in pregnancy; however,
    several other studies did not find this
    association. There are also concerns that drugs
    such as ibuprofen may interfere with
    implantation of the early fetus. While a clear
    risk has not been established, women who are
    trying to conceive may wish to avoid
    ibuprofen." "

Another post read:

"Ibuprofen and other drugs that belong to non steroidal anti inflammatory drug class like aspirin, excedrin, motrin, advil, aleve etc. can interfere with ovulation. A study published in Journal of Clinical Pharmacology (Bata MS, Al-Ramahi M, Salhab AS, Gharaibeh MN, Schwartz J. Delay of ovulation by meloxicam in healthy cycling volunteers: A placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover study. J Clin Pharmacol. 2006 Aug;46(Cool:925-32) showed that women who took NSAID medication had delayed ovulation by approximately 5 days, decreased levels of serum progesterone in the second part of the cycle and increased follicle size. Other studies have suggested that NSAID?s can interfere with normal implantation.

If you trying to conceive it is important that you refrain from taking drugs that belong to NSAID category especially around ovulation time. Tylenol can be used since it does not belong to this category but it is definitely better to avoid any over the counter medications if possible."

Started TTC Aug '09
    Me: 24, HSG=clear, normal hormone levels, regular cycles, insulin resistance
    DH: 25, SA normal
    Dx Unexplained Infertility Oct '11
    3 cycles of Clomid w/ TI =BFN
    IUI#1 Jan. 23 w/ Clomid =BFN
    IUI#2 Feb. 19 w/ Clomid =BFN
    IUI#3 Mar. 16 w/ Clomid= Apr. 1 beta=8, very faint BFP w/ ClearBlue test...Apr. 2 @ 9pm-BFN w/ ClearBlue...Apr. 3- spotting and cramping...Apr. 5, confirmed c/p.
    IUI#4 May. 16 w/ Clomid =BFN
    IUI#5 Jun. 11 w/ Clomid =BFN
    IUI#6 Jul. 6 w/ Gonal-F 75units + Ovidrel =BFN
    TI w/ Gonal-F 75units + Ovidrel =BFN
    IUI#7 Aug. 28 w/ Gonal-F 125units + Ovidrel =BFN
    Break cycle=BFN
    IUI#8 Oct. 20 w/ Gonal-F 125units + Ovidrel + Progesterone =BFN
    IUI#9 Nov. 13 w/ Gonal-F 150units + Ovidrel + Acupuncture + Progesterone =BFN
    IVF#1-- ER Mar. 3: 9R, 7M, 7F. ET scheduled for Mar. 8

A CACKLE A DAY

• imagecacklemonsta:
    imagemander274:

Where did you find this information?

I read it on www.ovulation-calculator.com online community.

One post read:

"From the Organization of Teratology Information
    www.OTISpregnancy.org.

"Two studies have found an increased
    risk of miscarriage with the use of NSAIDs
    such as ibuprofen early in pregnancy; however,
    several other studies did not find this
    association. There are also concerns that drugs
    such as ibuprofen may interfere with
    implantation of the early fetus. While a clear
    risk has not been established, women who are
    trying to conceive may wish to avoid
    ibuprofen." "

Another post read:

"Ibuprofen and other drugs that belong to non steroidal anti inflammatory drug class like aspirin, excedrin, motrin, advil, aleve etc. can interfere with ovulation. A study published in Journal of Clinical Pharmacology (Bata MS, Al-Ramahi M, Salhab AS, Gharaibeh MN, Schwartz J. Delay of ovulation by meloxicam in healthy cycling volunteers: A placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover study. J Clin Pharmacol. 2006 Aug;46(Cool:925-32) showed that women who took NSAID medication had delayed ovulation by approximately 5 days, decreased levels of serum progesterone in the second part of the cycle and increased follicle size. Other studies have suggested that NSAID?s can interfere with normal implantation.

If you trying to conceive it is important that you refrain from taking drugs that belong to NSAID category especially around ovulation time. Tylenol can be used since it does not belong to this category but it is definitely better to avoid any over the counter medications if possible."

Hmm, interesting about the delayed O and low progesterone. I wonder if this is a single study or if there are more to corroborate the findings.

Guess I will just have to deal with my pre-O migraines.

• Wow I didn't know that either.. but I don't ever take any of those meds anyway..
    ?TTC#1 since 04/11?CP 03/28/12?Me:Polycystic Ovaries&Endo??Him:MFI- Awaiting 2nd SA?
    ?Blog?
  • Yep. My OB/GYN said this to me specifically when I went in for my annual and told him we were TTC.
    TTC #2
    BFP 3/28/16 (EDD 12/9/16) * Chemical pregnancy
    ME: 40 yrs.old
    DH: 41 yrs.old
    DD: 5 yrs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"