Two Under 2

VBAC issues(longish)

ok i dont know if anyone has been told this. I am a little bummed that my doc told me a VBAC would not be recommended this time. because of my pregnancies being so close the risk of rupture is very high and because i have a narrow pelvice they wouldnt even know if i could push a baby out. so then my question to her was ok so say i have another baby 3 years from now can i try to VBAC and she said nope once you have had 2 sections you dont have a choice to VBAC. ( i had an emergency c section after being induced it took 2 days i pushed 2 hours. DD was sunny side up and kept yo yoing in the birth canal so needed a section). Anyone have a similar story and were able to VBAC. i dont know what it is but i feel like i have cheated having a baby by section. I know im crazy and shes healthy and thats all that matters. But i am bummed about not pushing a baby out.TIA im sorry this was long but no one else understands.

Re: VBAC issues(longish)

• I would go some where else (if possible) and get a 2nd opinion. I've never heard of having 2 c/s and then not being able to at least try for a VBAC after several years.

Maybe it is just your OB/hospitals way of doing things. My hospital doesn't allow them at all and the next nearest is 2 hours away. 

• I understand the risks and everything and i understand her point of view. With DD she was is poor position for my narrow pelvice but what if this one is in good position. why cant I try. I am thinking of calling a few other offices this week. thanks for replying. I cant believe how big our LO's are getting. I love her piggy tails.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have heard that you shouldn't VBAC shortly after a C/S, but I have not heard that 2 C/S = always a C/S. I'm no expert, but I don't see what difference it makes if you're cut once or twice as long as you've had plenty of time to heal before the next pregnancy. I would get a second opinion on that one.

• imagemoonfaerie:

I have heard that you shouldn't VBAC shortly after a C/S, but I have not heard that 2 C/S = always a C/S. I'm no expert, but I don't see what difference it makes if you're cut once or twice as long as you've had plenty of time to heal before the next pregnancy. I would get a second opinion on that one.

I know this is my point. i get this one with it only being a year healing time but what about in the future. I will be getting a second opinion. thanks ladies. 

• Two c/s regardless of the time between surgeries doubles the risk of rupture.  I have a very VBAC-friendly OB but even he will not attempt a VBAC after two c/s. 

My first two are 17 months apart and I tried to VBAC (failed due to poor positioning).  I would look for another OB who will be open to VBAC this time.  GL

• imageBarefootContess:

Two c/s regardless of the time between surgeries doubles the risk of rupture.  I have a very VBAC-friendly OB but even he will not attempt a VBAC after two c/s. 

My first two are 17 months apart and I tried to VBAC (failed due to poor positioning).  I would look for another OB who will be open to VBAC this time.  GL

This.

In the state of NJ (which also has one of the highest OB malpractice insurance), no OB will allow you to have a VBAC after 2 c/s - doesn't matter what the spacing is.

I had 3 c/s's in 3 years. DD#1 was breech (head up, feet down) - I had no real choice. Had to be c/s'd. DD#2 was breech (head up, feet down also) - again, had no real choice. Had to be c/s'd again. DS was in position, but I was NOT allowed a VBAC.

GL to you. If you're really intent on having a VBAC, I would find another OB - preferably one that is pro-VBAC and will do everything to make it happen for you.

FWIW, I had discussed having a VBAC with DD#2 - this was before I found out she was breech, and I would have attempted one if she was in proper position. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • 17 months apart here and I was offered VBAC.

The latest study data indicates the risk of rupture is not as high as they once thought it was.

I'm so sorry you feel that way about a section.  I have a good friend who ended up in a section and it spun her into a bad bad bad PPD.

I'm lucky.  I am totally not attached to never passing a baby out my va-jay-jay.  I thought my 2 scheduled sections were great!

And... I too have heard the no vaginal birth after 2 sections.

Honestly it makes sense and the study data is there to support that it's super risky to try. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • If you can, I would shop around! I know that the hospital where I deliver will not do vbacs at all ever. They also will not allow you to deliver breech (the one where vaginal is possible) or vaginal delivery of twins regardless of position.

All of these rules are hospital driven and not Dr. The malpractice is too high for them to cover to offer these deliveries. 

Some hospitals in our are do do it, but mine is pretty small.  

• I don't see why you shouldn't be able to try for a VBAC this time around.  I'm 8 weeks pregnant, my son is 9 months, and I'm trying for one.  Your risk for rupture is not "very high."  There is a ton of research out there that will confirm this.  VBACs are actually safer than repeat C-sections.

My advice to you is to get a second opinion.  Are you at all willing to deliver at a birth center?  That's what I'm doing because I know that most OBs will push a c/s mommy into having another.  

Oh, and it is completely possible to have a VBAC after 2 c/s.  You just have to find someone willing to do it.  It can be done! 

If you really want to try for a VBAC, I'd suggest getting some information from ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network).  It's a wonderful resource.

https://www.ican-online.org/ 

GL!   

• thank you so much ladies for all your in-depth answers i really appreciate it. I am going to go in with ammo next week just bringing up that it can be done yada yada yada and see what she says. if she still is firm on no VBAC i might shop elsewhere lol.
  • image~*Sarah*~:
    thank you so much ladies for all your in-depth answers i really appreciate it. I am going to go in with ammo next week just bringing up that it can be done yada yada yada and see what she says. if she still is firm on no VBAC i might shop elsewhere lol.

A girl on here (Rach03K) had a c/s and then just over a year later had a successful vbac. There are risks, but there are also risks to repeat c/s. I'd definitely do some research and find a doctor willing to support your choice. Good luck!!

• I am currently 16 wks and have a 15 month old, will be 20 months when baby is due. My doctor is letting me attempt a VBAC as long as everything goes smoothly in the pregnancy. I've never heard of not being able to do one b/c of age b/w births. However, I have heard once 2 c/s, always a c/s from everybody I know that has had more than one. I would definitely try to find a doctor that will do it. I changed doctors this time around b/c i wanted to find one that would let me have a vbac. Good luck to you!!!
  • imagespark&echo:

Oh, and it is completely possible to have a VBAC after 2 c/s.  You just have to find someone willing to do it.  It can be done! 

Not with an OB. I'm sure there are midwives that would allow it, but you would be hard-pressed to find a midwife AND a hospital that would take on the liability.

I've never heard anyone having a VBAC after 2 c-sections.

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • imageHarrietNJMommy:
    imagespark&echo:

Not with an OB. I'm sure there are midwives that would allow it, but you would be hard-pressed to find a midwife AND a hospital that would take on the liability.

I've never heard anyone having a VBAC after 2 c-sections.

Yeah, I agree.  That's why I suggested a birthing center.  My friend just had a VBA2C that probably wouldn't have happened had she delivered at a hospital. 

• I am allowed a VBAC but was warned by my ob that the chances are high that I would end up with a c-section because of my narrow pelvic opening. (I was in labor/pushing the same amount of time as you and DS couldn't get past station zero....and he only had a 30%ile head circumference).  She did say that they could sort of check the pelvis at around 36 weeks to see how far it has stretched.  I'm not really partial to how the baby comes out, so I'm still debating myself since I was completely wiped out after DS's delivery and it took me a really long time to heal from the c-section.

If you really want a VBAC, i'd get a second opinion. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • KGskyKGsky member

imageHarrietNJMommy:

In the state of NJ (which also has one of the highest OB malpractice insurance), no OB will allow you to have a VBAC after 2 c/s - doesn't matter what the spacing is.

This was what my friend in NJ was told as well.

• KGskyKGsky member

imageHarrietNJMommy:

This was what my friend in NJ was told as well.

• I had a VBAC and was told by 2 separate OBs that I wouldn't have been allowed to try if I had been pregnant within a year of my first delivery, but I have no idea whether that is their comfort level or accepted medical practice.  My VERY pro-VBAC OB (they do exist) warned me that I was a "poor candidate" because I pushed for 2 hours and DD1 never descended at all, but was willing to let me try.  I ended up having a forceps assisted vaginal delivery because DD2 got stuck as well, but not as stuck.  Both girls were also sunny side up.

I have always heard that once you have 2 sections you can't VBAC, although prior to my first section I had always heard that once you had a section that was it, so I don't know that for sure.  They have realized that the risks are far lower than previously thought and are lower than with a repeat C, although I don't know if that holds true with 2 prior sections.

I would look for another Dr if you aren't comfortable that you can't have a trial of labor this time.  Either way, the important thing is to have a healthy baby in the end.  GL!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBarefootContess:

Two c/s regardless of the time between surgeries doubles the risk of rupture.  I have a very VBAC-friendly OB but even he will not attempt a VBAC after two c/s. 

NOT TRUE AT ALL.  Recent studies have shown there is no increased risk after two sections! 

Also, more studies are suggesting that your scar is going to heal as much as they can by 6 weeks after birth.  Even my previous non- VBAC friendly OB told me a VBAC was safe when my babies were going to be 13 months apart (lost the baby at 11 weeks). 

There are docs out there that will do a VBAC with your spacing- you just have to find them (or look for a CNM). 

Here is a recent article on VBA2C-- https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35462327/ns/health-womens_health/

• I got pg with DD#2 when DD#1 was 9 mo. old.  I was told I could try for a VBAC but my chances of success were not high given my situation.  I opted for the scheduled c/s but would have had to anyways because DD#2 was breech.  I was also told that after 2 c/s, future deliveries would have to be via c/s.

read up on VBACs, most articles I've read said that it's fine if the births are over 1 year apart (not when you get pg but when you deliver).  It does really depend on your dr and the hospital.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd look for a second opinion. I've heard of women having vbacs with 2u2.

Also my mom had a VBAC after two c-sections and that was over 20 years ago.  I've heard of other women doing that too.

Baby #1 edd 4/21/07 - Matthias James born 5/2/07, 9 lbs, 22 in

Baby # 2 edd 11/26/08 - Ezra Jacob born 11/29/08, 9 lbs 6 oz., 21 3/4 in

Baby #3 edd 05/04/13 - Titus Jude born 05/01/13, 9 lb 5 oz. 21.5 in

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"