Two Under 2

once #2 is out of the infant carseat, how do I get them into daycare?

They will be 5 months and 22 months.  (my 4 month old is jiust big...he is 21lbs now and the wt limit on the catseat is 22 lbs)  I can't quite imagine how I am going to do this esp with putting coats on and all.  What do you do?

Re: once #2 is out of the infant carseat, how do I get them into daycare?

• I'm in the same boat.. I don't trust DD1 to run around while I fumble w/ getting DD2 in the carseat, plus where would I put DD2 while I'm taking DD1's coat off and putting her stuff in her cubby... but DD2 is getting so heavy to carry around in the carrier, I won't be able to do it much longer!

My plan is to either put DD2 in the Ergo or in the umbrella stroller. Luckily, warmer weather is coming, so the Ergo might be easier.. but with coats and stuff in the way, we'll use the stroller. This way I think I can easily get DD1 in the car while DD2 is contained and safe, then put DD2 in the car second.. plus it'll be easier w/ drop-off/pick-up I think.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Don't know where you live, but coats shouldn't be an issue in a month...

You can get a better bucket seat (one that is good to 30lbs and 32") and keep the baby in an infant seat for a while longer or you can get a double stroller (Jeep makes a pretty decent side by side umbrella you could probably get away with at that point for just getting into/out of daycare), or you could get a good infant carrier (Ergo, Babyhawk, Moby) and wear the baby into daycare.

• Loading the player...
  • We trained the older tot to put his hands on the back quarter panel of the car and not take them off until I took his hands when ever we were in a parking lot.

So in your case I'd get the older child out first and either have them stand by the door as you get the baby out or leave the 22 month old in the car - just not strapped in.  

Often times I'd unhook the older tot and have him walk across the inside of the car to physically get out on the same side as the baby.

Then you hip carry the baby and hold the toddler's hand. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • imagehowleyshell:

We trained the older tot to put his hands on the back quarter panel of the car and not take them off until I took his hands when ever we were in a parking lot.

So in your case I'd get the older child out first and either have them stand by the door as you get the baby out or leave the 22 month old in the car - just not strapped in.  

Often times I'd unhook the older tot and have him walk across the inside of the car to physically get out on the same side as the baby.

This. I do this with 3 kids. Not daycare, but preschool drop-off/pickup.......

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • imagehowleyshell:

We trained the older tot to put his hands on the back quarter panel of the car and not take them off until I took his hands when ever we were in a parking lot.

This. I do this with 3 kids. Not daycare, but preschool drop-off/pickup.......

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • DS is already in convertible seat and what I usually do is I take DS (#2) out and wear him in my Ergo before I bring DD (#1) out. It gets pretty messy since DS is learning to reach out.. so when I try to get DD out, he reaches for her hair etc but it's doable. :P GL!
  • For us, DS2 has been in the converible seat since he was about 3.5 months old. Thankfully our day care is on a side road so it isnt too hard to get them both in and out of day care. They go to an in home day care so I park in the drive way, take out my younger one first, go around to the other side and then one handed take out the toddler. I put him down and he walks (holding my hand) up to the door. When we leave, I carry the younger one, and hold the older ones hand. When we get to the car, I open the door and my toddler climbs into the back of the car and then I shut the door. He is big enough of climb into his seat on his own now, or he just plays on the floor. Then I go around to the other side, strap in my younger one, and then go back for my toddler and strap him in. It really isnt as bad as I thought it would be. The only times it gets tough is when they both need a change of clothes, diapers, wipes, and formula...carrying all that plus two kids can be challenging!! :o)
  • I get DS out first then we walk around to the other side to get DD.  I make DS hold on to my leg so that I can feel him there while I get DD out.  If I feel his little hands release from my leg I immediately grab for a hand.  He is really good though and just holds onto my leg, then I hold his hand while I carry DD in.  Sometimes I have to make another trip back to the car if I have a lot to take in like diapers, formula, etc.

I always put coats on them before they went into car seats.  At most I slipped a hat on their head when we got there if it was really cold.  But I live in TX and don't exactly have the winters you 'up north' girls have.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"