South Florida Babies
Options

Oops. and asking about OBs in Miami...

I just realized I posted this on the nest board by mistake. I'm an idiot (and not even sure how I got over there!)

Hi! I wanted to introduce myself to everyone on this lovely board :) I'm just barely pregnant (6wks! but all the way excited!) and looking for advice on OBs in Miami (and everything else ;) so I'll be around!

So my UM insurance means I almost have to have a UM practitioner (big difference in $$), and I was referred to Dr. Moscoso at the PAC on the UM/Jackson campus. Anyone have any experience with her? There are some nasty reviews online, but I hope it's just one or two disgruntled ex-patients....

Also, has anyone with UM insurance delivered at Jackson? Do they bill the hosptial stay costs as a UM clinic or as a network-tier? 

TIA!!!

Re: Oops. and asking about OBs in Miami...

• Options

I can't help you with your inquiry, sorry!!!!! 

But, congrats on your bundle of joy and welcome to the board.  The ladies her are very nice and super helpful.

• Options

Hi!

First, congrats!!  Hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months :)

Second, I will tell you about my experience with UM/Jackson and delivering there...

I delivered my 1st there in 2008.  It had it's pros and cons...

1) unfortunately, the nurses there will not give you the time of day unless you make sure you mention that you hold private insurance and have a private doctor the second you walk into triage.

2)  they don't allow ANYONE in triage with you.  So once you check in to be induced or you're in labor, you're pretty much going through the whole triage/labor/check in process alone.

3)  they are the best for high risk and nicu.  the doctors were quick to come to my side when things started getting a little bad...

4)..however, the nurses, not so much.  my epidural wouldn't take and my oen nurse kept telling me to "get over it, just breathe through the contractions."  yeah, that pissed me off!

The thing with Moscoso is the same as with the other Doctors in the practice- they can be a little brusque and the experience at Jackson and in their offices leaves little to be desired.  If you can see him, I would recommend Dr. Gonzalez-Quintero or Dr. Burkett.  They were both very professional and took the time to answer all the questions I had. 

Anyway, I'm a little exhausted right now (it's been a loooong day with 2 little girls lol) so I'm losing myt rain of thought, but if you have any questions about doctors or the jackson experience, feel free to email me!  jewake42 at gmail dot com

-jenny

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Don't have any info or experience w Jackson, but just wanted to say welcome and congratulations!!

Tania

• Options

Gonzalez-Quintero went into private practice on March 1. He is a Peri, tho, so I am not sure if he sees every day average patients that are not high risk unless referred to be a OB. My doc has been sending me to his office for my sequential scans and I have to say - they are all awesome. If they take UM insurance, their new office # is 305.274.5229.

I don't have any experience with Jackson or UM insurance but wanted to say WELCOME! My doctor is Edward Phillips and I delivered at South Miami and had a wonderful experience. 305.665.9644.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMellyMelB:

Gonzalez-Quintero went into private practice on March 1. He is a Peri, tho, so I am not sure if he sees every day average patients that are not high risk unless referred to be a OB. My doc has been sending me to his office for my sequential scans and I have to say - they are all awesome. If they take UM insurance, their new office # is 305.274.5229.

oh wow!  i didn't know about that.  If he's a Peri, he won't deliver.  For some reason, in Miami, perinatologists will not deliver babies.  They will send you to either a high risk ob (the only ones in Miami are the UM obs) or to a normal ob and be monitored by the peri the entire pregnancy.

• Options

You know, from his office, I think he was a peri while at UM. His new office is called Advanced Maternal Fetal Medicine. He has all kinds of pictures with him and multiple births....but I am not sure if he delivered them or helped them come to be somehow.

The card I have has a website that may be helpful, www.advancedmfm.com

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMellyMelB:

You know, from his office, I think he was a peri while at UM. His new office is called Advanced Maternal Fetal Medicine. He has all kinds of pictures with him and multiple births....but I am not sure if he delivered them or helped them come to be somehow.

The card I have has a website that may be helpful, www.advancedmfm.com

yep, he delivered when i was pg with abby.  had i delivered the night i was admitted, he would've delivered her.  At UM, he was a peri/high risk ob, so he was allowed to deliver.

• Options

Thanks so much for the welcome and the advice :)

Right now, I don't have anything to make me "high risk" but obviously that could change. I'm going to ask my Dr about my options- if I can get a UM CNM or something and deliver at South Miami (I live down here too- can you imagine, getting on the train in labor to go downtown? omg. I'm sure it's been done but...).

• Options
    imageJaxonD85:

Thanks so much for the welcome and the advice :)

Right now, I don't have anything to make me "high risk" but obviously that could change. I'm going to ask my Dr about my options- if I can get a UM CNM or something and deliver at South Miami (I live down here too- can you imagine, getting on the train in labor to go downtown? omg. I'm sure it's been done but...).

yeah, had i gone into labor during the day, it would've sucked.  lol  actually, i had "false" labor at 32 weeks and had to drive myself and it took almost 2 hours to get there!!  i'm lucky i went in at midnight the day that i delivered :-D

call the drs at um- some might have privileges at baptist or so. miami.  Good luck!!  I hope you can find a good ob who delivers at either hospital!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"