Health & Exercise

Anyone with experience on Nutrisystem?

My husband is deployed, so i'm pretty much a single mom to a high maintenance baby which leaves me little time to cook.  I can get in about 10 mins of exercise a day but the convenient foods I find myself eating contradict my efforts of exercising because they are so bad for me.  I only have a few months left of single parenthood, so i'd like something to help me get off to a good start until I can start cooking meals on a daily basis.

I've been looking into Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem, and I'm leaning more towards Nutrisystem but I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences.  Does the food taste any good and is it actually worth the cost?  How quickly did you see results?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Anyone with experience on Nutrisystem?

• MH is doing Nutrisystem. He has had great success on it over the past few months (down almost 50 pounds since November), but there is more work involved in NS than it seems. He adds extra stuff to the food to  "jazz it up", but it's the only way it's worked for him.

When he first ordered it, he got frustrated with it because they send the main meals and snacks. They do not send the other stuff you are supposed to eat WITH what they give you. There's a guidebook thing that says what else you're supposed to have. For instance, for breakfast the NS thing might be oatmeal mix, but in addition to that you might be supposed to have a fruit, a grain, a dairy, and a protein. With dinner, you are supposed to add your own vegetables. And with lunch and dinner, you're supposed to have a salad.

He thought he could just always pop it into the microwave and be ready to eat. Great, he thought, to bring to school too. But because of the work and the planning involved, we wound up eating out a lot still and he since he wasn't doing it, he didn't see any results.

Once he got a boot in the arss to get moving though, he clearly has done well. He likes the food just fine, but he eats anything. The key for him is that he adds things to the packaged NS stuff. For instance, the dinner might be a small pizza thing. He takes things from the list of foods he's allowed to eat and adds to the pizza, like mushrooms, garlic, hot sauce, peppers.  He makes a full breakfast every morning of a fried egg in a wheat wrap with blueberries in addition to whatever the NS food is (to fill the guidelines they give). I don't think that combo is required, but I know NS does have you make other stuff to have in addition to what they give.

Anyway, sorry for the book here. NS combined with daily walks and he's down almost 50 pounds in about 6 months.  I had a female friend who did NS and also saw a lot of success. There is more work involved than you first think - you have to at minimum buy and make salads (easy) and always have the vegetables and such to add to the meals. I thought about doing it, but I'm too picky of an eater, and I can't do salad everyday (it makes me ill). Also, both NS users exercised in conjunction with the NS diet. I'm sure NS alone would do something, but not sure how much.

Whatever you choose to do, GL!

• I just started NS and this is the start of week 4 for me...I have lost 6 lbs.  already.  In addition to NS, I also work out, 35 min. 5 days a week...

The PP is right, you have to add your own fruit/veggies/salad/dairy to the mix and "spice up" the food.  If you don't add your own stuff, it's only about 800 calories a day which is not healthy and will only lead to binging later on... so I add stuff to my food, side dishes mostly like cheeses, yogurt, fruits, salad, etc... 

I am so far VERY satisfied with it an we ordered ANOTHER months worth of NS for me!!

• Loading the player...
  • DH just finished his first week and is down 7 lbs!!  He wants to lose a total of 30lbs overall.  He is sticking ot it exactly and working out everyday for 30min- 1hr.  Like the previous posters, there is more work required.  I wouldnt even call it convenient or time saving bc you have to grocery shop several times a week to buy fresh fruits and veggies.  Every meal you have to add the fresh things (fruits, veggies, dairy, protein, etc)  But DH likes the food and loves the results. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"