Preemies
Options

Reflux questions

My DD was diagnosed with silent reflux. She has just about every symptom I've seen in my research. It's been a very long couple of weeks. She was on Zantac, but she seemed to be getting worse, so we switched over to Prevacid Solutabs. We were told to let it dissolve in a little bit of water. Is that what you do? Also, what formula is your LO on and how did you get there? We started on Similac Advance after breastfeeding was a bust. Then we switched over to Similac Sensitive, and then Similac Sensitive R.S. The R.S. was actually making her spit up which she's never done, so we stopped that and now at my husband's insistance we are trying Soy formula. Can you please share the details of your experience with reflux with me? TIA.
imageimage

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible"--Harry, When Harry Met Sally

Re: Reflux questions

• Options

have you tried adding cereal or oatmeal to the bottles?  DS#1 had silent reflux and was on zantac.  We started cereal in the bottles at 7 weeks (advice of pedi).  We tried switching to oatmeal (less calories) but it didn't work.  We used cereal with enfamil gentlease (reduced lactose) formula.  We had previously tried nutramigen as well.

Heather

Wonderful DS#1 9/14/06** Wonderful DS#2 3/29/08**

Natural m/c 3/28/10 5w6d** Natural m/c 9/4/10 5w4d**

BFP: 2/27/12. u/s showed blighted ovum at 9wks Natural m/c started 4/11, cytotec 4/13/12 (at 12 wks). **

First appt with RE 5/7. Testing complete. Dx: luteal phase defect

BFP 10/25/12. u/s on 11/16 confirms heartbeat image

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

Evan ended up on pregestimil, it's a long story, but when the most hypoallergenic of the formulas didn't work, and actually made him significantly worse, we learned he has trouble with corn syrup solids and some fats.

If I was in your shoes the next formulas I'd try would be nutramagen/allimentum. Then if that didn't work I'd ask my doctor about neocate or elecare.

Personally I have bad opinions of soy milk. There are women I work with who treat their menopause symptoms by drinking soy milk because of all the plant based estrogens in it. I just can not bring myself to thinking that's ok to put into my developing baby. That being said, I know a lot of kids do well on soy milk.

Are you elevating her as much as possible? There are wedges that can be placed under the sheets to raise the head in the crib. We had to raise Evan's entire bed to a 45 degree angle, and put him in a sling to keep him from rolling down the bed, but I don't think most kids need that much. We also had to be careful about how we held him, too much pressure over the left upper side of his abd, or raising his left leg too high causing pressure on his abd and he'd puke. We always had to feed him on an incline as well.

Babies with reflux like to be held in your arms but facing down towards the floor, (of course at a slight incline) it puts the esophagus on the top side of the stomach and can provide some relief.

GL

Becky

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"