Alabama Babies

Traveling internationally with LO?

Sarah, and any others who have traveled internationally with LO...

What is the process of getting a passport for LO? How long is the passport good for?

Also, how did your LO do as far as traveling abroad? Did you your LO ride in your lap on the flight or have a separate seat/carseat? What did you do about a carseat while travelling?

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are considering taking Kennedy to Norway this summer to visit family. I'm super excited about it but we are trying to figure out the logistics at this point. We have flown with K cross country twice now, but never internationally.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

Re: Traveling internationally with LO?

• You're required to buy a ticket for LO on international flights.  Some only require the ticket itself, which is 50% off and doesn't entitle her to a seat.  Other countries require a ticket AND a seat at regular price. 

I think the passports are good for 5 years for children.  

I've flown internationally with children several times (for the family I used to nanny for) -- you can request a bassinet on several airlines that attaches to her seat and is a place for her to sleep.  Let me know if you have any specific questions.  We were always a big group, but I can offer what I remember!

• The process to get a passport is pretty much the same as it would be to get yours - but both parents have to go into the passport office in person and sign the passport.  You can get her pictures done where they do passport photos - except Kinkos wouldn't do it for us - we had to go to Walgreens.

For our trip to Germany, we had her as an "infant in arms" and had to buy her a ticket that was 10% of the cost of our ticket.  We sat in the bulk head and had a bassinet on the way there, which she slept in for 4 hours on the way there but just sat in the bulk head/window seat on the way home.  no bassinet but she had space to sit on the floor and play with toys. 

For K - this summer - I think I'd buy her a separate seat but that's just because I couldn't imagine holding Avery that entire time and I don't think she'd fit in the bassinet now.

We decided to buy one of the airplane harnesses for Avery in lieu of bringing the car seat on board - that way we just felt like it will be more comfortable for all of us - and check her car seat. 

• Loading the player...
  • We traveled with Jude to Singapore when he almost 11 months old.  Since we were staying with my parent's we were able to borrow stuff from someone my mom knew. 

For Singapore Airlines we did have a ticket for him, but no seat (I believe there was a fee but a lot cheaper than an actual seat).   They have a bassinet in front of you, but you can't let them be in when it is turbulent or taking off (the flight there he was in my arms the majority of the time).  He wasn't walking but he was very active (cruising, crawling).  Jude is so used to putting himself to sleep, he hated being rocked after about 6 months so it was difficult to try and get him to sleep, but once he got used to have to stay in my arms he was a lot better.  On the way home the plane was not full so we were able to move around a lot more so that definitely helped for Jude to be able to cruise around a little.  Honestly I think we went at the perfect time with Jude because he wasn't quiet walking yet, I think it would be a nightmare now if we had to travel all that way with him. 

I agree with Sarah that passports last like 5 years for children.  When you apply for her passport both parents have to be present with the child.  For Jude's picture we just went to CVS and got his passport picture made. 

• Also as far as him dealing with the time change (it was a 13 hour time difference for us) -  he did very well.  He may have taken a few more naps during the day. They say kids do the best with time changes.

Also we brought just enough diapers to get us there and then bought some over there.  They did have pampers over there, but there were different than what we have and I didn't like them.  We ended up getting an off brand that I really liked.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"