Health & Exercise

Any Spinning enthusiasts?

Hi girls!

I'm newly pregnant - just found out last week. I'm a Spinning instructor and already following the precautions outlined for pregnant Spinners - hydrate, keep BPM 20 below anaerobic threshold, and eventually I will not get out of the saddle when my balance gets shifted.

I heard that it's very bad to get overheated when pregnant, especially during the early first trimester, so I'm being so cautious..yet, it's hard not to be hot, sweat and increase your heart rate.  

Are there any Spinning enthusiasts on this board? Any advice, suggestions, experiences you'd like to share? 

Re: Any Spinning enthusiasts?

• I don't have time to do it any more, but before kids I was quite the Spinner. I did it up until the last few weeks of my pregnancy. I didn't really feel any more heated than I would normally but our studio has lots of fans. I did all types of classes, endurance, strength, race day...

The only "complication" really was toward the end my belly was too big to comfortably pedal without hitting it. Smile

• That sounds very encouraging. Thank you :)
  • Loading the player...
  • The temp you need to reach to be in a dangerous zone is around 102, I can't remember the exact temp, its been a while. You should just watch for signs of overheating: blurred vision, cold chills even though you're hot, stop sweating, nausea, etc... You will normally experience those things before you get to that dangerous temp. I ran about 30 miles per week (and also did spinning several days a week) all through my first and second trimester last year which was during the summer. I frequently ran at the hottest part of the day (only time I could go) in 90+ temps in June, July, Aug, Sept and never had a problem. Just stay hydrated and you should be fine. Also, ACOG no longer endorses heartrate restrictions so you should be fine to work out at the same intensity as you did before you got pregnant as long as you are haivng a normal pregnancy and feel up to it. Good luck!

• jlynn - very informative! thank you so much for the great info :)
  • Hi there,

I'm an instructor too and I'm still teaching. When I found out I was told to my heart rate should stay under 140. My heart rate in my classes can get well into the 180s...i'm a bit crazy :)

So I still teach but I've backed off the restistance and I don't come out of the saddle. You should be fine! I'm starting to get tired and a little burned out so I"m not sure how much longer I will teach. But I plan to continue taking classes as long as I can :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"