Illinois Babies

Lawyers Maternity Leave

Hi Everyone!  I am new to the board and was wondering if there are any lawyers in the chicago area who could tell me what their maternity leave policy is.   Also, if you could tell me what size firm you work at that would be great! 

I work for a two person firm in chicago and am nervous to tell my boss cuz I'm worried about maternity leave.  It is just me and her as attorneys here and I am the first one ever pregnant at the firm so she doesn't have a policy.  She said in the past that she would give me the time off but only pay me for my vacation which is only two weeks.  I want as much info as possible on what's normal in the area before I go to her.  TIA!

Re: Lawyers Maternity Leave

• I'm a 6th year associate at a firm with about 70 lawyers.  The policy is 3 months paid leave and 3 months additional unpaid, optional leave.  I think that's the norm among big firms too.  I have heard that AUSAs don't get any paid leave, which is weird because they work for the federal government.  Send me a private message if you have other questions because I'm usually on the October Board.  Hope this helps!  
    My love, Erin, born 10.26.10. Photobucket
  • Hey I work for a small firm (my boss and I are the only 2 attorneys). 

He is very family friendly and has small kids so he is giving me 6 weeks paid and offered me PT options but I don't know how that will work as far as pay goes.  I probably need to get back to my full salary right away so I will probably be taking off 6 weeks and then will probably go right back to FT.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"