Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

S/O judgey post: what is/was your favorite hamidown?

I've gotten a ton of stuff from my sister over the years, clothes, toys, equipment, but my very favorite hand-me-down is an LL Bean Radio Flyer push-wagon that was my niece's first birthday present. That thing is now seven years old and has been through four kids, and it still gets used every day. Finn pushes Clay in it, or Clay pushes Finn, they load all their blocks in it and give rides to their stuffed animals. And the best part is, it's still in great shape. The paint could definitely use some touching up, but I could probably pass it on to another family once my kids are done with it and it would last through another two children.

What were you most grateful to get from someone else?

Re: S/O judgey post: what is/was your favorite hamidown?

• Options
    emma got THREE trashbags full of designer baby clothes from a family friend.  some of the outfits were uber tacky, but a whole lot of them were amazing - some with tags still on.  she was pretty much outfitted from birth to 18months. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

my swing and PNP were great hamidowns.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Definitely clothes.  We kind of have a recycle system going on and it's outstanding.  I'm not too proud for "hamidowns".

• Options

all of our nursery furniture

and it was used by girls first :gasp:

lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Remembering Christopher
  • Options
    I didn't get any...Surprise not b/c I didn't want them but all my friends had girls and I had a boy. 
  • Options

DH's boss has 2 girls and a boy and he gives us all of their clothes as they outgrow them.  I am talking expensive stuff - burberry, bonpoint, oilily, and you know, the "cheaper play clothes" as they call it - heartstrings, gymboree, ralph lauren.

wow everytime I see DH carring a garbage bag home from work, its like christmas!

• Options
    Definitely all the clothes. DH's cousin has given us A's whole wardrobe. Her DD is 11 months older and they were both born in the winter so the seasons have always matched too. It's saved so much money, I only have to buy stuff I just can't live without.
  • Options
    I don't have any, not because I said no to anything but nothing was offered.
  • Options

Judah got so much stuff from an old coworker... I swear he still has stuff from her that he hasn't worn/used.  A TON of clothes, a swing, his playmat, extra sheets, the list goes on. 

I <3 hamidowns.  I wish I could get more but everyone has girls!

• Options
    I have not recieved hand-me-downs, but we have a recycling center in town where you can pick things up for free. I got the Little Tykes kitchen and a kettler tricycle.
  • Options
    I just got a brand new toddler car bed from my sister that my nephew was in for not even 6months.
  • Options
    One of my husbands customers gave us 6 month old Simmons baby furniture. Crib and changing table. It is super nice! The would not even take any money for them!
  • Options
    My husband's coworker gave us enough clothes that we won't have to buy any from 12 months to 4T.  They are in great shape and mostly from Gap Baby.  Love it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    def the little tikes playground she got from my Uncle & Aunt.  THat thing is amazing!
  • Options
    Books. We have two full bookshelves full, and boxes in storage with "older" books in them. They are so expensive now, there's no way we'd have this many. So yay for book hamidowns.
  • Options

We come from a family with lots of little boys so there were no hand me downs as far as clothes went, but I was okay with that. :) I liked being able to pick all of DD's clothes.

DH's aunt gave us an old school baby bath that I LOVE.  We removed the new one from our registry before we had her and just used that one.  It is simple, to the point (some of them are mini spas these days), and fit right in our sink.

We were also given a Bumbo. I am glad we didn't spend money on that thing.

Brooke 10.15.08 & Molly 6.15.10

Photobucket

• Options

Has to be the Pali crib and dresser! Sweet, trusted, family friends gave it to us because their son was moving to a bigger bed.

Very expensive... we would never have purchased anything this nice, lol!

• Options
    Swing and Jumperoo were fantastic hamidowns.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

An Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper from one of DH's sisters.  

ETA:  Oh, and a recent one - Some Hair Bear Bunch (old 70s cartoon) pillow cases that were my Uncle's when he was a child.  Many of us (him, cousins, me, his daughter) have used them over the years and have stayed with him.  He just sent them down with my mom on her last trip to give to DS for when he has a full-sized pillow - he wanted to pass them down.  It was very sentimental! :) 

• Options

The swing & vibrating chair were our favorite hamidowns!

• Options

I'm sorry, but the spelling of "hamidowns" is making my eyelid twitch.   

• Options

oh my gosh - it's harder for me to make a list of stuff that ISN'T "hamidowns!"

i have gotten the most use out of our "hamidown" jeep stroller, crib, and all 3 carseats. yay! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely clothes, we have been very grateful to have tons of family and friends with boys. DS1 has at least 30 pair of jeans in the size he is in now, its almost ridiculous except for the fact that I have another son to pass them down to eventually. lol 
  • Options
    My rocking chair for the nursery, a wagon, a few bikes (some that he needs to grow into).  My favorite is our pull behind trailer for the bike.  I think that is Sam's favorite too!
  • Options
    The crib and changing table, b/c those are expensive, and since Ian was a surprise we didn't have money allocated for baby anything.
    "If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • Options
    We got a few great bags of hamidown clothes through toddler sizes. We won't have to buy clothes for awhile (which doesn't mean that I WON'T, just means we won't need to Stick out tongue)
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    The Arms Reach co-sleeper DS slept in for 4 months and buntings/winter coats he wore this winter and last. We were given some other clothes too, but nothing great. They have ended up being back up or play in the dirt clothes.
  • Options
    I've gotten a ton of clothes for DS from a family with two little boys, the youngest who is just a year older than DS. It has been amazing, we've hardly had to buy any clothes & they are all in the right size/season and in good shape - it's been a major help to us!
  • Options
    imageKristenS04:

DH's boss has 2 girls and a boy and he gives us all of their clothes as they outgrow them.  I am talking expensive stuff - burberry, bonpoint, oilily, and you know, the "cheaper play clothes" as they call it - heartstrings, gymboree, ralph lauren.

wow everytime I see DH carring a garbage bag home from work, its like christmas!

Hartstrings is "cheap?"  Good lord, since when is $60 for a pair of kid's pants cheap?  I got a couple of pants at their outlet this weekend for 80% off and was over the moon.   

ETA:  We didn't get many hand-me-downs.  My SIL has loaned us clothes that were my nephew's.  I appreciate the gesture, but I rarely get to use any of them as they were/are smokers and the clothes reek of smoke from having been stored in their garage where DB still smokes.  I say thanks, put them in the closet, and return them when he has outgrown that size. There have been a couple of items that were non-smoky though and they were really cute.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We had lots of "hamidowns."  Our crib and changing table were among the big ones.

We also got our swing and our jumperoo from SIL and BIL.  Tons of clothes, receiving blankets, burp clothes, blankies, toys.

Our bassinet was from OUAC, so it was used, but it wasn't a "hamidown."  It was definitely a steal, though.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My DH has 2 older brothers who already have 2 kids a piece and are done.  We got the Boppy travel swing, a bouncy chair, an Arms Reach mini cosleeper, a Land of Nod moses basket, one of those Step 2 push cars (not the cozy coupe), a little tricycle, a Disney princess couch that turns into a sleeping bag thing, and a princess ride on/push toy.  The big laugh and learn home as well as other toys. We got swaddle me's, sleep sacks, etc. I got a moby wrap and a bjorn.  And of course a lot of clothes!
  • Options
    My mom gave me the moses basket she used for ME when I was a baby.  She redid all the linens in it to match his nursery ... it was so sweet.  I totally bawled when she surprised me with it  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options
    Oh, but I forgot my favorite...the Baby Jogger city mini double, that my SIL barely used for a year!  She bought it when my nephew was born (he's the same age as my DD) but hardly ever took it out.  She had a bunch of accessories for it too. 
  • Options
    Stoller/car seat combo, car seat, crib and lots of clothes!!! I love hami's !! I am getting ready to pass some along to my sister and one of my co-worker's daughter.
  • Options

My friend with older kids moved before I was pregnant, but she did give me a bunch of clothes and now some puzzles and toys. So there are specific clothes I was excited about -- like a Gymboree coat DS should fit into this fall.

Most of the clothes were stained, unfortunately, so a lot of cute things ended up as play clothes and extra clothes for daycare. But we did make a bundle putting everything I hadn't used out in a garage sale last summer. 3 kids of use already and still got money for them -- it was great!

• Options
    a baby bjorn carrier!  I carried my oldest nephew in it so it was special to use it for K too Smile
    DD 6/17/08, DD 6/9/10, DD 12/15/11
    BFP 5/24/13 - Natural MC 6/7/13
    BFP 8/13/13 - Natural MC 8/27/13
    Ovarian Mass = removal of left ovary & tube 9/13
    BFP 4/24/14 - Tubal Pregnancy 5/7/14
    Removal of  ruptured right tube 5/8/14
    IVF or adoption??
  • Options

Clothes from some friends kept us covered for the first 8 or so months.

Family "heirlooms" all from DH's side of the family: 1918 bassinett, Crib that his brother made for his children, 1900 rocking chair. 1930 Christening gown.

• Options

Got our crib, changing table, and glider from my sister. They were only used once by her one daughter, so they were still in pretty good shape. Definitly saved us a ton of money.

• Options

We really haven't gotten any hand-me-downs from family, but MIL has done a bunch of garage-saleing for us! I have been extremely grateful for the boxes and boxes of clothes she has sent, and the Ergo that she found for $30!

We got TONS of hand-me-down stuff when we got married though. I'm talking practically enough furniture to fill a house. That was awesome! Slowly some of it breaks or gets extremely worn and we replace it with new, but it's been great to help us get started :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My daughter's extensvie Pediped collection, the exersaucer, bouncy seat, many outfits...I could go on & on & on :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"