Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

DS is eating us out of house and home

He has always eaten well at daycare (he's 15 months), but has been a pretty picky/toddler-like eater at home.  For the past week, the kid has been putting down anything and everything...and then begging for more!!  He is eating all.the.time.  Could this be a growth spurt?  Has anyone gone through this?  We are used to him eating like a bird at home.  He has definitely gained weight in the past week or two, also.  I just don't know if/when we should "cut him off" at a meal.  Here is a sample of what he ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 2 pumpkin waffles, applesauce and a whole banana, 7 oz. milk

Snack: Kix cereal

Lunch: cantelope, mango, pineapple, chicken breast, yogurt, birthday cake (long story), 2 animal cookies, 5 oz. water

Snack: Gerber cereal and fruit bar, another banana, 3 oz. milk

Dinner: Pork loin, red potatoes, 1/4 tuna sandwich, 6 oz. milk, more Kix cereal.

What is going on with my kid?!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DS is eating us out of house and home

• Options

lol tell me about it. DS is on breakfast #3. I just called my mom and he had

a small bowl of cereal w/his cousin.

then he had his bottle and animal crackers

and now he is going for the oatmeal and fruit! all before 10am!

He is a great eater but he also lost weight in the last month even though he  eats like a teenager! lol Too bad his mother isn't this way :(

• Options
    Wowsa!  Are those adult size servings of pork loin, chicken breast, potatoes, and fruit?  I've always heard toddlers will cut themselves off when they're full, so I'd go with the flow for now.  Just give him lots of healthy lower-cal options if you're worried about overeating.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageRubygirl:
    Wowsa!  Are those adult size servings of pork loin, chicken breast, potatoes, and fruit?  I've always heard toddlers will cut themselves off when they're full, so I'd go with the flow for now.  Just give him lots of healthy lower-cal options if you're worried about overeating.  

Hahaha.  I know!  The servings are not full adult size, no.  He'll eat about a medallion and a hlaf of pork loin or 1/4 cup chicken breast.  Still...seems like a lot of food when you factor in the rest, right?! I always heard they will stop themselves, too.  But he doesn't seem to be slowing down.  Ever.  He has also always been 75% in height and weight.  So it isn't like we are trying to get him to eat a lot.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Wow! That sure does sound like a lot of food for one day. My DS generally eats really well, but I never give him that much!

I'd watch it on the bananas though. I never give DS more than 1 banana per day. My DS tends to eat so fast that he doesn't realize when he is full. We've been trying to pace him so he doesn't scarf his food so fast. He isn't eating quite as much as before, but he's still growing and getting plenty of food.

Just give him lots of nutritous choices and he should be fine. It probably is a growth spurt.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"