Orange County Babies
Options

Flying soon with LO!

Taking our 4 mo old daughter to meet the aunts, uncles, cousins and great grandparents in Florida would love to hear tips and tricks for surviving this first travel adventure with LO from those of you more experienced travel mamas!

Re: Flying soon with LO!

• Options
    I've done this several times. I took my daughter, and now my son, on several trips with and without my husband.  His fam lives in Alaska, so I'm experienced with loooong flights and airport layovers, too.  When they're young, like yours, it's much easier IMO!  We opted to do the infant in lap option, and it worked out fine when <12 mos.  I breastfeed, so nursing on the way up and down helped with the ear popping.  I think I also successfully used a pacifier with my son on the way up/down once, too.  With all the white noise, they'd end up falling asleep afterwards, which was perfect!  She's still young, but you might want to consider bringing a toy or something that will help entertain her while she's awake.  We also always opted to take our stroller/car seat with us to the gate.  This allowed us (me) to lug stuff, including the little ones, in the stroller and we just checked it at the gate along with the car seat (except when we started doing infant in seat).  Then we'd have the car seat to use once we arrived at our destination since our fams didn't always have an extra one.  Also, there was one trip for which I did the infant in lap option, BUT there were extra seats, so they let me take the car seat on and put her in it. That was SO great because she was at a very mobile and curious age, and I was able to restrain her with the seat, which was way easier than holding her IMO.  When traveling alone, I found that I preferred a window seat since I nurse, and it allowed me more privacy.  Of course, I always tried to get a row where I was the only one or there was at least an empty seat in the middle.  Make sure you definitely bring more than enough diapers, wipes, changing clothes in the carry-on. Our daughter was sick once, and she ended up having lots of "accidents", and at one point, we had to leave her with just a diaper on because we had no extra clothes for her after she'd soiled them :(  This is long, but I hope this is at least a good start for you. It's great that you're asking for the tips because I remember getting some great advice from here, too!  GL!
  • Options

Flew to New Orleans when DD was 3 mos and to Nor Cal at 5 mos. Not to fear! We opted for the extra seat on the longer trip and were VERY glad we did. We brought on her carseat and strapped it in. She napped for most of the trip. We chose seats right behind the wing and the engines were a great white noise for her. It was nice to have the whole row to ourselves. On the Nor Cal trip, we did not buy a seat but there was an open seat so we brought on her carseat again. This is key, especially for longer flights! Plus, it's safer if you think about how you'd do in heavy turbulance w a lap child or (God forbid) if the air masks dropped down. Some other thoughts:

-Bring a ziplock w Clorox/Lysol wipes and wipe down every surface LO may touch. You get so grossed out thinking about the last time the tray tables or arm rests or anything in the bathroom may have been cleaned! I know it sounds a bit much but seriously...gross.

-Bring a bottle (BM/formula) or be ready to nurse. If LO take a paci, make sure they are sucking during takeoff and for about an hour prior to landing (descent is gradual, unluke takeoff). Even though DD is EBF, I brought a bottle, too, and we used it. Don't forget your nursing cover.

-Bring a new toy (or 3) LO has not seen before. We also brought and used the bjorn (primarily in the airport, not on the flight). It was helpful getting through security, too.

-We did not carry on much other than what DD was going to use. DH and I each had a diaper bag (well, he had his laptop bag w magazines/books and overflow stuff from my diaper bag). Your hands are so full that you probably don't want to be pulling a roller bag. I also carried on my pump and some frozen BM. Not a problem but you just have to let them know you have it.

-Bring at least 5 more diapers on board than you plan on using. You never know. Also bring 2 change of clothes (two for LO and a shirt for you!)

-We used the snap n go stroller w her carseat and it was perfect. We gate checked the snap n go. You can also gate check the carseat base if you want to bring it with you though carseats are safe w/o it and designed to use just a seatbelt in the car. Just check your carseat manual.

-Check out baby's away (I think babysaway.com) which rents things like swings, packnplay (we brought ours and checked it through, just a hassle with all of the other stuff we had), etc. Sounds like your fam may have lots of the things you need though.

-Make sure and order yourself a beer and relax. It's definitely not as bad as we expected. Babies fly every day and yours will do awesome!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"