Birth Stories
Options

Denver's LONG Birth Story! Med-Free attempt..and fail!

Birth story: It had been a been a very busy Saturday (2/20). I can't remember if Friday night 2/19 I was able to sleep well or not. I do know we got up at a fairly normal time Saturday morning and had breakfast. We had errands to run  and then we went to lunch. I ordered eggplant because I knew that it was an Old Wives Tail (OWT) to induce labor-laugh out loud. I had been taking evening primrose oil and drinking raspberry tea as well. In the afternoon we came home and relaxed. We also had our Bradley Dinner that evening at 6 pm. It was nice to hear other people's birth stories and DH and I had joked it would be good to go into labor that night. Little did we know...

We got home around 8:30 pm or so and watched the Olympics. I had inserted evening primrose oil that night. I headed to the upstairs couch around 11:30 pm and fell asleep until 12:30 am. I remember getting up to go to the bathroom at 12:30 and then coming back to the couch. As I laid down I felt something gush. It wasn't a pop as I had expected but more just warmth and fluid. I got up again and went to the bathroom. Sure enough it was water-like. I smelled it just to make sure I hadn't peed myself. It had an ammonia smell to it and was clear. Luckily because I had the evening primrose oil I had a pad on. I went upstairs to tell DH my water had broken and to stay in bed because I knew he would need his energy. I also posted on my mommy board that I thought my water had broken and called o to let our Doulaher know what was going on. I knew from my Bradley class and Doula that I should lay down and sleep-but wow was my adrenaline up! I did go down to the couch and try to relax. Contractions started around 1:15 am or so. They were erratic. At the time I guessed they were anywhere from 10-20 minutes apart. They were easy to breathe through but kept me awake. I think I fell asleep around 4 am and slept fitfully on the couch until 7:00 am or so. Then I went up to the bedroom and laid next to DH until 8:15 or so. I remember curling up next to DH and having LO (Denver/Denny) kick so hard that DH could feel it in his back. Denny was really moving. My contractions became more timeable after we got up and had breakfast. I also called Connie (the MW on call) and told her what was going on. She said to NOT get in the bathtub (but that I could shower) as it could slow things down. She said to call her when contractions were more intense and timeable and to try to take a walk or keep doing what I was doing. We pretty much laid around the house and tried to relax although we were really excited and wanted things to move along! I tried bouncing on the ball and taking a walk before lunch around the block. I remember that it was difficult to walk around the block and needed to stop every 10-12 min. to breathe through a contraction. We ate a light lunch -or at least I tried to-and then we tried to settle down to watch a movie. We only made it 3/4 of the way through before my contractions were about 5 min apart (I think) lasting for a min. and for over an hour. It was about 2 pm ?? when I got some bloody show. Although at the time I wasn't aware that it would be like having my period-I thought I would just get a smidge of blood. So I was a little unprepared for the amount (about a pad full over an hour or so). I jumped into the shower as the contractions were becoming more powerful-and I was continuously bleeding which honestly made me and DHnervous. When I got out of the shower we decided to call both Doula (so she could come over) and Connie (the MW). My contractions (unbeknownst to me) were about 1-2 min apart and over a min. long for over an hour at that point. DH had been timing them. Connie hearing about both the bleeding and me moaning on the phone told us she would meet us at the hospital. I felt that DH was getting anxious as the contractions were so close-although I was managing them by moaning and on all fours I was getting nervous about how long my water had been broken. That time table had been in the back of my mind all day---that (arbitrary 24 hours) was making me nervous and I was just generally feeling anxious that it was really happening. So when Doula got to our house around 3:30 pm ?? we were in a rush to get to the hospital. I was anxious to get checked imagining I was closer than I would end up being, I sensed Dh's anxiety as well. So we headed to the hospital. I crouched on all fours in the backseat and moaned through the contrations as we drove. it wasnt a fun ride and I didn't want to repeat it. I know that my contractions slowed down when we got to the hospital-as I felt better and more alert. I remember also hoping that  I was at least a 4 when we got there. Connie checked me and I was at a 1! I remember being very disappointed but hoping that I would make some drastic progress in the next few hours. Connie did suggest that I get a Hep-lock just in case I needed fluids. I agreed to it as long as I could have it in my arm and not my hand. They were able to accomodate this. I also was put on the EFM for about 20 min. It was a portable one though so I could sit in the rocking chair or move with it which was great. DH and I took a walk around the hospital and Melinda got settled in the room. Then DH decided to go get some food for him and Doula. I also had my gatoraid and continued to drink. When DH got back with the food something changed for me and the contractions started again. At this point I remember being the most comfortable on my knees hanging on the back of the bed and moaning. I have no idea how far apart they were at this point but I do know that I could still talk in between and eat/drink in between. I continued to work through the contractions. Here is where my memory gets a little fuzzy. I know that I was trying to keep my visualizations in my head and to go inside of myself when I was working through a contraction. I kept trying to visualize my cervix getting wider and also thinking about Denver. I seemed to be in a rhythm when I got a break between contractions. I remember splitting my time between the ball and kneeling on the bed. I know at some point Connie told me that I needed to move him down and to sway and dance him down by swaying next to the bed. At this point I think I was a 2. I have no idea what time it was at this point. I also know that my contractions were moving along. It hurt to sit on the ball or a chair but I was able to work through that and bounce on the ball at one point. I dont know if Connie checked me again or if the constant pain started. I remember that the contractions were manageable but that I was feeling this really low cramp that was continuous. It was like an extension of the contraction but unrelenting. It was unbearable at the time. I felt like I couldn't get a break from the pain. I remember thinking that if I could only get a break from the pain every few min. I knew I could continue on. However in my mind the break never came. I know that my contractions themselves were really very long (5 min. in duration). I am unsure if this is the time that Connie offered the Nubain or not. I know I was asking for help. When I look back I wonder if the tub would have helped, but I was in so much pain that I couldnt think straight and I was exhausted. I think it was after 12 am at this time-although I could be wrong. I do know that the only thing I wanted was to sleep. So although it was a tough decision for me and I was worried that it would only lead to more interventions I decided I needed the break. The Nubain did numb me to an extent and I think I rested fitfully for an hour or so. However as soon as the Nubain started to wear off the pain-not the contractions per se but that damn cramp- came back fresh and strong. I also started to throw up. I remember thinking maybe this was transition...(it wasnt) It was about this time that I really began to forget my plans and resolve and strength. To me the pain was unrelenting and overwhelming. I couldn't find a rhythm with the contractions as I couldnt get a break at all. It felt like the contraction never ended. I never felt the wave of pain I had felt earlier it was all constant pain. I also think that if I hadn't been so tired I might have been able to gather some strength. However all I felt was overwhelmed and unable to carry on. I also felt like I wasnt making any progress and I was going to be in labor forever. I think it was about 3 am that Connie asked me if I would consider an epidural. I think she mentioned that she didnt think I would have the energy to push if I continued on this way. Again I felt some disappointment mixed with relief that maybe I would get to sleep. At this point I just wanted it to be over. I talked it over with DH briefly I think and we decided it was best for me to get the epidural. So in came the anesthesiologist and DHand Doula had to leave the room. I know that I asked Connie to hold my hands but honestly the cramp-not the contractions was so unbearable I never even felt the needle. I dont think I even moved-just hung on Connie. As soon as the meds kicked in I was able to sleep fitfully for a few hours. I think it was 5 am that woke up with another pain that was just as intense as the first. It was in the area that my catheter was in. The doctor came back in and topped off my meds but it didnt seem to help. Soon both of my legs became mobile and the pain in the catheter area became worse. I was starting to feel the contractions again as well. Soon it didn't feel like I had had the epidural at all. When the doctor came back in he just stated (I think) that the meds just didnt really work for me and I had to just deal. (This is my version...I am sure he was nicer). However it was clear to me that the only thing I got out of the epidural was a few hours of fitful sleep. In addition I started to throw up again-this time it was blood which freaked me out but they assured me could be normal. I had been eating ice chips consistently thanks to Doula. Connie had been on all weekend so there was a shift change between her and Barb (Midwife). My nurse, Sarah, was done as well and we got a new nurse, Alisha. I can't say enough about the nurses and midwives we worked with. When Barb came in she checked me and I was an 8--I think. Or maybe a 9. All I remember is that Connie and her had a discussion about how Connie was a conservative estimator on dilation and stations. Weird that I remember that. I know that since my legs were moveable they were moving me into several different positions in order to get Denver to move more into position. Still the pain near the catheter area was intense. I am unsure if they gave me a new one or took it out. I know that by the time I got to start pushing at 8 am it was out. Once I felt the urge to push, my body really took over. It felt like at first I couldn't differentiate when the contractions were starting and ending and I was expelling a lot of energy pushing needlessly. However, the pushing part was actually the best part of the labor/delivery for me as it was when I really got into a groove. It felt endless, but productive. Whenever, DH or the nurse or DH would tell me that I was making progress or that they could start to see his head I would say they were lying. I felt that everyone was lying to me and that it was lasting forever. I remember at one point that Barb (MW) had stepped out for another delivery and that the nurse and DHwere saying how close I was. I told them that they were lying and that if I were close that Barb would be in the room. I told them that since no one was there to catch the baby I wasn't close! Its funny now but I was dead serious. While pushing it was never the pain that kept me from making progress-it was always that I couldnt hold my breath long enough to push. The contractions became such that I would have one really good contractions where I would push, then a sweet relief of a break-then 2 or 3 good contractions where I would push again. This was my rhythm and when I look back at this part of the labor/delivery-I wish that it could have all been like this. Those few moments in between contractions were so relaxing and Doula was feeding me ice chips, having me smell some lemon extract and back I would go to the pushing. I also felt better with the oxygen mask taking breaths in between that first push and the next few. I slightly remember Barb and Alisha having me touch Denny's head when he started to crown. Although I think my memory is colored more by how DH talks about it now. He said that when I would touch Denny's head that my face would become so peaceful and happy that it was making him start to cry. I do remember what Denny's head felt like-soft and warm. I know that there was a ring of fire--but my exhaustion and sheer want of the process to be done-made the pain secondary. I know that several times I asked for Barb to cut him out of me. At the time was I working through the pain? Or was it because I was so exhausted. I want to think it was because of the exhaustion. Looking back now I cant remember the pain itself which is a blessed thing-I know it hurt to have him move through and out-but I think I was in a place that just wanted it all to be over. Part of me knew that he was crowning for too log (40 min. total!) and either Barb offered a small episitomy or I asked. I could tell she was hesitant and I remember DH supporting me to try to push two more times. I am unsure how long Barb had worked at stretching me with olive oil-it felt like hours-but it may have been only an hour. Honestly her stretching me felt more painful then Denver coming through. Although I was thankful, very thankful, for how hard she worked when we were done. Eventually, Barb did make a very small one degree snip to get Denny through. Once she made the snip he slipped right out. In that moment -I cant describe what it felt like to have him come into the world through me. I felt every one of his bones shift through me and I remember Barb telling me to pant and just breathe-not to push. Simultaneously I closed my eyes and then opened them. The next thing I remember is DH actually placing this really heavy purple, warm little body onto my stomach. Denny had arrived. We were all rubbing him and talking to him and it was the most important and happiest moment of my life. Suddenly 35 hours of labor no longer mattered. DH was able to cut the chord after it stopped pulsing. I know I had been receiving a small amount of pitocin-or they started to give it to me so I would deliver the placenta-I am unsure at this point what the progression of the pitocin was. I know that I was still having minor contractions and that Barb was working on pushing on my cervix to get the placenta out. I was absorbed in Denny on me and having DH at my side. Denny was very alert and he latched on right away. When the placenta came out it felt warm and I immediately felt relief that it was out. However, as soon as I felt the placenta come out I felt a large wave of warmth leave me. I also started to feel woozy and faint and I heard Barb tell the nurse to call for the hemmorage kit. More so than anything events started to feel surreal. They immediately pulled Denny from me and put him in the warmer. I asked DH to go with him and to keep talking to him. Barb was telling me to stay awake-I think -and Doula was at my side. Another nurse came in with what I assumed was the hemmorage kit and I think Barb told me she was sorry but she had to give me some cytotek (spelling?) rectally. I am assuming the bleeding slowed and I never fainted. I found out later I had lost 600 cc's of blood in that one moment-at 700cc they begin to worry about cardiac arrest. Funny enough I did not feel more tired than I had before as I was completely on a high from Denver's arrival. Once they had the bleeding stopped, Barb sat next to me and I got Denver back. We were able to continue nursing lying side by side. She started to explain that his head was big (haha) although it was in the normal range- and that he did not have any difficulties with his shoulders and that I shouldnt have any difficulties with future kids. She wanted to assure me about him not having shoulder distotia? (Spelling) I told her not to talk about future kids at that point-laugh out loud. The nursing staff were able to do all of Denny's stuff (eye drops, heel stick, etc ) while he was with me. He weighed a whopping 9.5 lbs and was 22 inches long. Such a big baby. The staff were all astounded that I had such a big baby! Once we were all settled, the nurse did say that Denny had a lower sugar level (41). Which was just below expected so they wanted to supplement with some formula. Which DH gave him through finger feeding him. WIth support I was able to hobble to the bathroom-which was scary for me. Although I wanted to go to the bathroom (urinate). I was unable to actually pee. I also desperately wanted a shower but would have to wait. DH left shortly after feeding Denny-or was it before? to get pizza for us. We all ate and relaxed. I was amazed at how misshapen Denny's head was and at how much I loved him. Once we were wheeled to our room for the night I was disappointed we would have to share a room with another patient and that I still couldn't urinate. So I had to tell the nurse around 7 pm that I probably needed a catheter. She did a great job giving me one and I barely felt it. I would have the catheter removed the next morning when I could finally urinate on my own. Ice packs were a godsend as was the shower I eventually got. I have never been so weak in all my life. A weakness that didn't leave me for about 2 weeks. I think that my recovery has been more difficult in that the hemmoraging definitely compromised my enjoyment of coming home. Breastfeeding started out great and I was very happy to leave the hospital. I also turned down a blood transfusion as I wanted to come home after the mandatory 48 hours there. 

Today-Denver continues to grow. He is over 10 lbs now. Breastfeeding has had its challenges and we are working through Denny being a gulper and fast eater . He tends to cough and choke when he really gets going. At times he does better when we can lay down together to eat-but we are working through this. He spent the first week with jaundice and with me being an unsure mother. We had a one week ER visit due to the jaundice and my anxiety. I underestimated how emotional I would be. Once home from the hospital the high from giving birth had receded and the hormones set in. He was evaluated by the ER docs ( a horrendous experience with blood draws) and the jaundice has slowly gone away. I find myself slowly becoming more comfortable with being a mom  with the typical worries and anxieties. I hate to leave him even to nap - although I have made sure to sleep when he sleeps. I revel in every moment spent with him. DH has proven himself to be an amazing dad and continues to be an amazing husband. 

If there were anything that I would say I did absolutely according to my "birth plan" it was that I was educated as well as I could be; I made the best decision I could in the moment; and I felt very supported by DH, Doula, and the midwives. I would NOT have been able to do what I did without the support of a doula and the medical staff I had.  I am so thankful I did not end up with a C-section and that I was able to give birth to such an amazing little boy. 

Re: Denver's LONG Birth Story! Med-Free attempt..and fail!

• Options
    Oh-forgot to add I pushed for 4 hours! He was born at 12:08 pm!!!
  • Options
    Congratulations! I don't think that anything about your birth was a fail. It's all about knowing enough to be able to make decisions and then hanging on with your fingernails through that first labour. They can be so tough! The next one will be so much easier! (oops;) did I say next one?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    congrats, beautiful story!!
  • Options
    Well done mama. I enjoyed your birth story as it was nice and detailed and real.  As much as we want things to go one way they sometimes go another - something I'm trying to prepare myself for. You did great!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

What a great story, it sounds like you were a trooper! Congratulations on your bundle of joy :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"