Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Nervous about moving baby to own room.

I spent so much time and money on his nursery but once he outgrew his bassinett, I wasn't ready to move him into his room so I had DH move the crib to our bedroom. Now DH thinks it's time for us to move him to his own room and while I know he's right, I just don't think I can emotionally handle it. Last night, as the 3 of us were sleeping, I was awake in bed and imagining him possibly  being across our house, all alone in his big crib and then I decided I wasn't ready yet.

On  the other hand, I may need to bite the bullet and just do it. Because like DH says, he's going to have to go in there sooner or later. There is a bed in his nursery so I'm sure I'm going to end up sleeping there at first.

*sigh* Why can't I just keep him in a bubble?Crying

TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy

Re: Nervous about moving baby to own room.

• Maybe I had the "bandaid" ripped off of me when LO had to stay in the NICU for two weeks after I went home, but I never had LO sleep in my room. That said, her room is literally 2 steps from my bedroom door.

I would bite the bullet and just move LO into that room. you will have to do so when they get older or decide to have more kids.

I imagine its got to be tough, but remember its tougher on you. Your LO will be perfectly happy sleeping in his crib (and I imagine it might be a lot more comfortable for him!)

Plus, how's the "kickball change" happening with LO in the room??? (rhetorical question, I don't really need to know)

• I am in the same situation - every day I say I will move DD into her own room and then come night time I can't do it :(  
  • Loading the player...
  • We moved DD over to her nursery when she turned 3 mo (two days ago).  I promised DH that I would moved her to her nursery once she consistently slept through the night and she had been sleeping 5-7 hours a night for app. a month before that.  It was definitely more difficult on me than her. 

It was a smooth transition for her.  She slept for 9 straight hours in her crib the first night.  I realize now that it was a good idea since she is sleeping better in her own room.  

• I cant do it either.  The plan was at 3 months - then we went out of town so it got put off.  Then we decided to get a video monitor - now it is all set up and ready.   I just cant do it yet.
  • DD's in our room until either a: we move out or b: she's 6 months old... whichever comes last.

The reason for a: We don't have a spare bedroom for her to go in, so she's stuck in our room.

The reason for b: 1 - it makes me feel better and 2 - I've read somewhere that it's better for baby to be with mom & dad for the first 6 months... plus, that's when the SIDS risk is more reduced (supposedly). We also bedshared for the first 3.5 months (she decided she was ready for the crib, not me), and wouldn't go in the bassinet often, so there was no way I was ready to have her in another room. It's hard enough sometimes when she's on the far side of the room as it is. (Our bedroom is huge, so when I say "far side of the room" she's at LEAST 6 feet from the end of our bed... and we sleep with our heads at the opposite end, so more like 12 feet away....)

• Do you have a video monitor? That really helped me when it came time to move DD into her own room.
  • Hang in there, Mama. I believe it's a lot like "being ready to have kids." For us, we never felt ready for it--but we were totally ready when it happened.

We Co-slept for a month and the first signs were that she outgrew the co-sleeper. Then we had a bassinet at the foot of the bed. She then started kicking the end of that at 1.5 months when she was really active. Finally, DH started putting the pressure on me at 2 months to move her into the crib in her nursery.

I started with her naps during the day just to see if I could handle it--she ordinarily slept in a cradle in the living room with me during the day. Then, we tried starting her off in the crib but when she needed a feeding at 11 she then stayed the rest of the night with us. Finally, just before three months, we made the full-time switch with the proviso that DH is the one to go and get her when she needs me and bring her to the bed. Then, one of us brings her back.

It's working out really well and she sleeps very well in there. We are also much better about an evening routine when she's sleeping in there--which has helped with bedtime a LOT.

I know it's hard because it symbolizes a stage of growing up and away. You may not be ready for it and in that case, listen to your heart. However, you may also surprise yourself in how close you still feel even as you are making the change.

Good luck!

IMG_8724 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_8895 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS began sleeping in his crib in his room at 5 weeks. We had him in the bassinet part of the pack n play and I don't think he was comfortable cause he wouldn't sleep well. As soon as we moved him, he slept so much better. But of course, I slept in the room on and off for a week or 2. It does get easier with time, it just takes a little while. Keep those baby monitors on. Mine were on and he's in the next room! I wanted to hear everything.

• I have no advice. DS talks in his sleep so he was in his own room the second day home. We moved home from the pnp to crib at 2 weeks. I guess I never really thought about it. Plus for the first 2 weeks I had to sleep on the sofa so once I was able to sleep in my bed I was too excited to overthink it.
  • DD has slept in her crib since about 6 weeks. her room is right next to ours and there is a door in between the two rooms, so it was a little bit easier for us.

But does she nap in her crib in her room? You could start there? if she isn't already doing so. And I agree with the video monitor. It would def. help me feel more secure and at ease.

I dont know what time LO goes down for you, but if its early enough, maybe you could "practice" after you put her down, go in your bedroom with the video monitor and see how you do. Then if you dont feel comfortable, move her back in your bedroom before you og to sleep./

• If you read the original post.. Mommy is not ready to make the move.  That's the hangup.  Time to "man up" and do what's right for the baby.  Do it now before LO really gets used to the idea of you being right there all the time.  It's much harder to break the habit later on.

We moved C from his bassinet in our room to his own crib around 3 months.  Sleeps like a champ ever since.  He no longer wakes up when we move around or snore.   He's much happier and restful and even plays quietly in his crib in the mornings when he first wakes up.  LOVES his tugboat mobile and a few little soft toys we have in there for him. 

My friend has a one year old who CANNOT sleep in her own room.  At least that's what Mom says.  Pretty sure Mom can't let go enough for her to be on her own.  Not good for anyone involved.  Baby is always tired and cranky and Mom is a wreck and is now wondering what to do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks so much for your advice/input everyone. It's nice to know I'm not alone on this one. I'm going to do it, especially since almost all of you mentioned that both you and baby ended up sleeping better. I feel like right now, he wakes up everytime my husband or I move so I think him being in his own room will definitely help.

We have the Angelcare monitor, which will help me relax alot. Nonetheless, I know I'm going to be tip-toeing in there for the first few days to just make sure he is ok and/or sleeping on the bed that's in there. (Which I get defeats the purpose but baby-steps, right?) I like the idea of having him nap in there to start and then slowly transitioning.

Thanks again for understanding, everyone. I'm going to do it, which me luck.Embarrassed

TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"