Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

taking the bottle away- Help!

My daughter never took bottles, so I am new to this.  I weaned ds at 9mths and now I'm trying to switch him to sippies.  It isn't going so well. 

How did you go about taking the bottle away?  What age did you start?  Did you do it cold turkey?

Help!  Thanks.  =)

Re: taking the bottle away- Help!

• Options

Just took it away last week, he was down to 2 a day of milk but I just waited till he was ready and it was much easier. He would never drink milk out of a cup and then one day just did!

I know others have had luck moving to a soft mouthed sippy like a nuby so it still feel like a bottle, you could try that, go cold turkey, or just wait a few more months and don't rush it. good luck.

Jackson arrived 7/7/08! BFP2 7.15.10 D&C 8.17.10 BFP3 8.10.11 MC 8.16.11 BFP4 9.22.11 MC 10.13.11
  • Options

We transitioned to milk at one year, then one bottle to a sippy at a time. He was taking four bottles, we did away with the afternoon one first. He got a sippy to replace it.

At first he didn't really care for the sippy but then he got the hang of it. (We only use straw sippies, not the spout ones.) About a month later we dropped the mid-morning bottle and replaced it with a sippy. Then maybe 1.5 mos later we dropped the morning bottle. I was so scared to drop the night bottle but at 17 months I offered him a little snack and a sippy before bed instead of a bottle and he was totally fine with it.

GL!

Brendan 06.30.08
    Pregnancy Ticker
    c/p 02.26.10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We transitioned to sippies at 11 months.. though they do still get 1 bedtime bottle.  We started practicing randomly at 6 months and then were practicing with water at all meals around 10 months.  They were not attached to their bottles at all and were just fighting them so sippies worked better for us.

• Options
    We stopped bottles around 14 months.  We waited until she was comfortable with the sippy cup.  We did not cut her off cold turkey.  We weaned off and started w/ the bottle she most relied on most first [i.e. bottle b/f bed].  The last bottle was the morning bottle.  We got lucky - she did really great.  Good luck!
  • Options

She still takes them- whatever. She loves water out of a sippy and does have milk at daycare out of one. At home, I keep offering it at meals and she is starting to drink milk finally out of one, but still loves the bottles and has about 3 a day.

Pedi told me not to worry. He said to make 18 months the goal but not to stress. 

• Options
    My son was 1 and we went cold turkey. It took a week. I almost gave in after the first day of screaming uncontrollably, but everyday got better and better. I just kept giving him a sippie cup everytime he asked for a baba. The straw cup (Blue Diego cup) worked the best for him in the beginning.  After two weeks he started using the straw and the spout cups.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"