Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Not sure what formula to start with the new baby...

We started DD on Enfamil but then switched her formula so many times before figuring out she had a milk intolerance.  At that point we put her on Neocate per her GI dr.  I asked the GI dr. what the chances of the baby having a milk intolerance were and he said slightly higher since DD had one.  He suggested if we are going the formula route to start the baby on a basic formula and if he doesn't tolerate it go right to Nutramigen instead of trying sensitive, soy, etc.  I was thinking of starting with Enfamil since Enfamil makes Nutramigen.  However, I hear that Good Start is gentler on the babies' stomachs.  Any thoughts or opinions on Good Start vs. the other formulas and what you'd do?
imageimage

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

Re: Not sure what formula to start with the new baby...

• Options
    We had a lot of formula problems and I personally liked Similac RX (sensitive).
  • Options
    DS had a hard time with soy, and also with dairy when we tried to introduce milk at a year, but he always did well with GoodStart. There are a bunch of different kinds now -- we used the "Gentle Plus" one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oddly enough, DS did really well on Good Start before all his issues.  When he was hospitalized at 7 weeks for reflux related pneumonia the GI came in and switched him from Gentlease to Good Start. Next time around, we will either start with Good Start or go straight to Alimentum.

I also just remembered I never got back to you about the Neocate.  I am so, so sorry.  I hope you got it sold.  Again, I'm sorry.  I kind of suck.

ETA:  I should also add we will skip powder all together and just go straight for RTF.  It seems the children in my family (my DS, and my sister's 3 kids) can't tolerate powder family.  No need to go through that again.

• Options
    imageajanes:

Oddly enough, DS did really well on Good Start before all his issues.  When he was hospitalized at 7 weeks for reflux related pneumonia the GI came in and switched him from Gentlease to Good Start. Next time around, we will either start with Good Start or go straight to Alimentum.

I also just remembered I never got back to you about the Neocate.  I am so, so sorry.  I hope you got it sold.  Again, I'm sorry.  I kind of suck.

ETA:  I should also add we will skip powder all together and just go straight for RTF.  It seems the children in my family (my DS, and my sister's 3 kids) can't tolerate powder family.  No need to go through that again.

I know Good Start makes different formulas.  Which one did you use?  Also, I'm assuming Alimentum is the same as Nutramigen (Similac's version vs. Enfamil's version)?

No worries about not getting back to me about the Neocate.  I still have it if you're interested (which I'm assuming you're not).  I never got around to selling it.

imageimage

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

• Options
    imagemrs.bridgettkay:
    imageajanes:

I know Good Start makes different formulas.  Which one did you use?  Also, I'm assuming Alimentum is the same as Nutramigen (Similac's version vs. Enfamil's version)?

No worries about not getting back to me about the Neocate.  I still have it if you're interested (which I'm assuming you're not).  I never got around to selling it.

As far as the Good Start, they just changed all the names around.  We used the orange kind.  As far as Alimentum, it is similar to Nutramigen.  Nutramigen has corn starch in the RTF and powder version.  Alimentum RTF, does not.  My GI said this was part of the reason he had issues with all powders (before Necoate).  Also I could be wrong, but I think Alimentum has less casein in it than Nutramigen.  We did Alimentum, because our GI was insistent about Alimentum RTF.  She told me 100 times "Alimentum RTF."  She doesn't love one brand over another. She picks different formulas for different things.  I know her Nurse Practioner's kids were on Nutramigen.  

As far as the Neocate, I think I am set.  I'm hoping we are going to be off it soon.  Again, I'm sorry. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"