Orange County Babies
Options

Paid family leave

I'm wondering if anyone knows this answer while i wait for a call back...

DH took 4 weeks off when DS was born. He had to take the first two weeks with PTO per his employer's requirements. The second two weeks he applied for PFL.  His last day of work was 1/27 and returned to work 2/27.

His check came today and it's for all 4 weeks.  I asked him if he put on the forms that he was getting 2 weeks of pay from his employer and he said there was no space for that.

Should he have started his claim after the two weeks of PTO pay from his employer ended? It doesn't make sense that he can get paid from both his employer and the state for the first two weeks.

I don't want to cash the check until I know it's correct.

Re: Paid family leave

• Options
    I'm not sure if our scenarios are the same, but when I had the PFL..my work had a 2 week waiting period til the PFL kicked in and had to use my PTO for that, then it was reimbursed when my first check came..could be that? I would double check before cashing that check.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It doesn't sound right to me.  He shouldn't be able to collect PFL if his work is paying him at the same time (even though PTO).  I'd call the PFL office and confirm.

He should have put that this first day out of work was his first unpaid day, not his actual first day out.  he may need to resubmit the claim and return the check.

Good luck and congrats on the new baby!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Be careful though because when I reported Disability, I reported my first unpaid day (my work paid me before that) and that was the wrong thing to do and I was almost penalized.  I am not sure if it's the same for PFL.  Good luck trying to get to the bottom of it.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Okay, I was wrong- the check is for 3 weeks not 4 because of the waiting period.

According to the EDD website you can collect SDI and vacation time concurrently but you cannot collect SDI and sick pay.  The two weeks he had of PTO aren't differentiated at his company- there is no sick vs. vacation- it's all the same pot.

He talked to HR and they said it's correct but I still feel like it's wrong and I can't get ahold of a real person at EDD!

Kim- what should you have done instead?

• Options
    My last day of work was October 12th. But my company paid me a full salary until January 12th.  I started my claim on January 12th.  That was incorrect.  I should have filed on October 12th, even though they would not have paid me until January 12th.  Lame.  But that was Disability.  Not sure if PFL is different.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagekimarino13:
    My last day of work was October 12th. But my company paid me a full salary until January 12th.  I started my claim on January 12th.  That was incorrect.  I should have filed on October 12th, even though they would not have paid me until January 12th.  Lame.  But that was Disability.  Not sure if PFL is different.

I think it's the same. J was told to file his claim starting the last day he worked even though he was getting paid from his company during that time.

He talked to HR who called tonight to say it's correct. I didn't play really close attention to the date apparently...they only paid him for the dates after his work paid him. It was just higher than I expected =)

• Options

Here's what I found on the EDD website... HTH!

Benefit Reductions

Under certain circumstances, you may not be eligible for a period of your claim or you may be eligible only for partial benefits. The PFL office will determine whether or not benefits must be reduced. The types of income shown in the following list should be reported to PFL even though they may not always affect your benefits. Failure to report your income could result in an overpayment, penalties, and a false statement disqualification.

• Sick leave pay
    • Paid time off
    • Adoption pay
    • Self-employment income
    • Military pay
    • Commissions
    • Wages, including modified duty wages
    • Residuals
    • Part-time work income
    • Bonuses
    • Workers' Compensation benefits
    • Insurance settlements
    • Holiday pay
    • In addition, your benefits may be reduced because of a prior Unemployment Insurance, Paid Family Leave, DI overpayment or for delinquent court-ordered support payments.
  • Options
    Thanks all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"