Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Lanie

I am interested to hear how your husband feels about home births.  I myself love reading about them, and also seeing videos (yes I have looked on YouTube).  I just am way too scared to ever have one myself.  I think that being a nurse I know too much about *what if* even if I know even more about the fact that it can be totally safe and very peaceful (which doesnt always happen in the hospital) if done correctly. 

I am guessing he is all for it?

Re: Lanie

• Options

::butting in::

My H and I have discussed it and he's all for it.  He saw how the hospital interfered with everything last time.  He's even said he will drive me to the Farm if that's what it takes LOL.

If I want to deliver in a hospital though he would support that too.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just think they look so peaceful and calm.  I could just never get the guts up to do it.  My dh also would never go for it:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband and I would do one of a second baby if I wasn't so high risk with the first one no problem.  I hated the hospital stay. 
  • Options

imageeowynmn:
    My husband and I would do one of a second baby if I wasn't so high risk with the first one no problem.  I hated the hospital stay. 

Just being in the hospital, or having to stay for an extended time?  Totally curious.  Like I said, homebirths intruge me...but I dont have the guts!

• Options

He's like you and not thrilled by it/scared. I won't say he's not on board, just scared. He's just, sadly experienced only sectioned births. Including mine.

His OB/delivery hospital experience wasn't great. 1st he's a male nurse and while women seldom seem to have issue with a male OB, you wouldn't believe the ruckus over him in the delivery room. Apparently one woman didn't even want him to place her IV. Um, hold on I'll get the female nurse to get your IV set up and then your male gyn get elbow deep in your vag. Yowsers.

Second, in 4 months on the job, he witnessed only sectioned births. I have no idea why. It wasn't like there weren't vaginal births going on. I just don't know.

Anyway, he's read all the information presented to him. He's fully supportive of me and my wishes, and he and I talked about the pros and cons and he respects the midwives very muchIf they're on board, he's on board. But we are also within a 3 minute drive to the hospital. Probably less with an ambulance.

image Josephine is 4.
  • Options
    imagelanie30:

He's like you and not thrilled by it/scared. I won't say he's not on board, just scared. He's just, sadly experienced only sectioned births. Including mine.

His OB/delivery hospital experience wasn't great. 1st he's a male nurse and while women seldom seem to have issue with a male OB, you wouldn't believe the ruckus over him in the delivery room. Apparently one woman didn't even want him to place her IV. Um, hold on I'll get the female nurse to get your IV set up and then your male gyn get elbow deep in your vag. Yowsers.

Second, in 4 months on the job, he witnessed only sectioned births. I have no idea why. It wasn't like there weren't vaginal births going on. I just don't know.

Anyway, he's read all the information presented to him. He's fully supportive of me and my wishes, and he and I talked about the pros and cons and he respects the midwives very muchIf they're on board, he's on board. But we are also within a 3 minute drive to the hospital. Probably less with an ambulance.

Sadly, this doesnt surprise me.  I worked with a few male nurses and they had pts refuse care from them all.the.time....but the docs could see them naked?!

It sounds like you dh is a bit like me.  Thank you so much for sharing:)

• Options

No worries! He is an awesome nurse and I'm so proud of him. He has a great bedside manner etc... but its sad that so many people have weird beliefs about male nurses. :(

He refused, outright refused, to apply for a position with our major children's hospital for this reason. People automatically side eye men working with children as nurses. Not doctors. No no no! But nurses? He wouldn't go near pediatrics in this climate. And he's sooooo good with kids and I imagine a lot of young men would rather have a male nurse help than a female during that awkward time, just as women may appreciate a female nurse.

Makes me sad.

image Josephine is 4.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"